RadioBanter

-   -   What the ^&*% is this? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/66461-what-%5E-%2A%25.html)

[email protected] March 10th 05 03:47 AM

What the ^&*% is this?

At the risk of sounding dumb, can someone clue me into the origin of
this antenna and where it's commonly used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Thanks,

Steve

Telamon March 10th 05 05:45 AM

In article .com,
wrote:

At the risk of sounding dumb, can someone clue me into the origin of
this antenna and where it's commonly used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3880111 386&r
d=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Parisi Associates Inc
(781) 273-1211
105 Terrace Hall Ave
Burlington, MA 01803
(near Waltham)

Looks like some kind of turnstile antenna.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

[email protected] March 10th 05 08:28 AM

I think it is just one of those vertical whips with a Jfet. All those
elements seem to be shorted together, as if it was just one fat
vertical.

dxAce March 10th 05 08:39 AM

Telamon wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

At the risk of sounding dumb, can someone clue me into the origin of
this antenna and where it's commonly used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3880111 386&r
d=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Parisi Associates Inc
(781) 273-1211
105 Terrace Hall Ave
Burlington, MA 01803
(near Waltham)

Looks like some kind of turnstile antenna.

And by the look of the base and the way that the nomenclature is on the tag it looks
as though it was built for some type of military application.

Good hunting for some info on it.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] March 10th 05 01:56 PM

Telamon wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

At the risk of sounding dumb, can someone clue me into the origin

of
this antenna and where it's commonly used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3880111 386&r
d=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Parisi Associates Inc
(781) 273-1211
105 Terrace Hall Ave
Burlington, MA 01803
(near Waltham)

Looks like some kind of turnstile antenna.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Interesting. I'm going to have to read up on these antennas now that my
curiosity is piqued. I'm wondering what the strengths and weaknesses
are of the turnstile design. Off the top of my head, I suspect that
this is probably not a great receive-only antenna and is probably
intended for hams. But I'll see what I can find about this design on
the web. You don't see many of these on ebay.

Steve

dxAce March 10th 05 02:03 PM

wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

I did a Google on the very small company and it would appear that this particular
antenna had some military application.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

bpnjensen March 10th 05 05:04 PM

Based on a very few web returns for this company via Google, Parisi
Associates appears to be a defense contractor, primarily. At least one
webpage showed a price of around $49,500 for one of their antennas.
The Burlington address seems to be current, although a specific Waltham
address also shows up.

The antenna looks like mil surplus; sure looks durable!

Bruce Jensen

CW March 17th 05 04:34 AM

I don't think it is a turnstile. The element configuration looks like an
attempt to broadband it by making it larger in diameter. The label says "HF
active antenna". Looks military. Probably a military portable unit.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Telamon March 17th 05 04:57 AM

I thought of that possibility but the thing is only 7 foot long. Making
it a few inches wider at that length would not do much in the way of
making it broadband.

In article ,
"CW" wrote:

I don't think it is a turnstile. The element configuration looks like an
attempt to broadband it by making it larger in diameter. The label says "HF
active antenna". Looks military. Probably a military portable unit.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Brenda Ann March 17th 05 05:41 AM

"CW" wrote in message
I don't think it is a turnstile. The element configuration looks like an
attempt to broadband it by making it larger in diameter. The label says

"HF
active antenna". Looks military. Probably a military portable unit.

I've never seen that configuration in an antenna before.. the thing looks
most to me like an element from an electric furnace.. (that's only what it
looks like.. I can see from the label it's an antenna)