Old March 11th 05, 07:32 PM
uncle arnie

Default travel to Europe - any advice

Going to Netherlands, France, Italy, Germany in early summer. Anyone with
recent travel experience? I wld take a portable SW like an ATS606 and wld
like to take a pair of FRS radios also. If anyone has had any trouble
taking radios with them by plane I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.
Old March 11th 05, 08:20 PM
atomicthumbs

If you want a good, cheap portable, get the Kaito KA1101 or a DE1101. I
reccomend GPRS radios instead of FRS, the range is better and there's
less dropout because it's digital instead of FM.

Old March 11th 05, 08:55 PM
uncle arnie

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlib...12_18_2003.pdf

I'm not American and not travelling to or from there, but the list probably
applies anywhere. It isn't so much the travel as I wonder about the
countries in Europe and particularly if FRS is okay there.
Old March 11th 05, 08:55 PM
uncle arnie

atomicthumbs wrote:

If you want a good, cheap portable, get the Kaito KA1101 or a DE1101. I
reccomend GPRS radios instead of FRS, the range is better and there's
less dropout because it's digital instead of FM.

But I already have FRS and aren't wanting to buy another set of radios.

Old March 11th 05, 10:13 PM
* Dr. Artaud *

uncle arnie wrote in
:

If you wish to spend time in Jail, take your FRS radios to Europe,
otherwise, leave them alone and do some research to find the Eurpoean
equivalent (which you probably won't be able to use here, if here is
America).

PMR-446 radios: http://www.two-way-radio.org.uk/frs-and-pmr446-walkie-
talkie-radios.htm

When in Europe, don't even mention that you know any Americans.

Dr. Artaud

"U.S. FRS radios cannot under any circumstances be used in Africa,
Europe, Asia, Mexico, Australia, Canada, or anywhere else. Why? Because
the frequencies the United States FRS uses have no equivalent service on
the same radio frequencies in other countries. The license free radio
services in other countries do not use our FRS frequencies."

http://www.gmrsweb.com/gmrsed092999.html

Old March 12th 05, 12:51 AM

How much are Kaito radios,about forty or fifty dollars? That would
probally be a good radio to take to Europe or wherever with you.Chances
are that if you have something nice and expensive in your luggage at the
airport(s) the item or items might get stolen by some crooked baggage
handlers.If you take a nice expensive radio with you it probally would
be best to hang on to it with your hands at all times.Don't let it out
of your sight no more than you would with a wris****ch or jewelry that
cost hundreds or thousands of dollars.
cuhulin

Old March 12th 05, 02:25 AM
running dogg

How much are Kaito radios,about forty or fifty dollars? That would
probally be a good radio to take to Europe or wherever with you.Chances
are that if you have something nice and expensive in your luggage at the
airport(s) the item or items might get stolen by some crooked baggage
handlers.If you take a nice expensive radio with you it probally would
be best to hang on to it with your hands at all times.Don't let it out
of your sight no more than you would with a wris****ch or jewelry that
cost hundreds or thousands of dollars.
cuhulin

TSA (US airport security) checkers are poorly trained and vetted and
regularly help themselves to items in passengers' bags. Since Arnie is a
Canadian and he's going to Europe, he won't have to worry about the TSA,
but I don't know anything about security in Europe. Some countries are
probably better than others. Most Degen (Kaito) radios are $50 or so
when bought from Liypn over ebay, but I read on this group that Canadian
customs are confiscating all Degens sent from HK to Canada because Kaito
Canada complained that they were being undercut by Liypn. Still, at
Kaito's price ($100 in the US, probably a little more up north) it's a
radio that you don't have to fret over being grabbed by your friendly
local screener. I've heard that Sony products of all kinds are regularly
grabbed by TSA screeners, but most of them probably aren't smart enough
to have heard of Kaito, much less Degen. Other inexpensive Chinese
radios are a good bet to survive security. Arnie might try a Tecsun
bought over ebay, they don't have the same import restrictions and are
just about as expensive as Degen brand radios.

Old March 12th 05, 02:28 AM
running dogg

* Dr. Artaud * wrote:

uncle arnie wrote in
:

If you wish to spend time in Jail, take your FRS radios to Europe,
otherwise, leave them alone and do some research to find the Eurpoean
equivalent (which you probably won't be able to use here, if here is
America).

PMR-446 radios: http://www.two-way-radio.org.uk/frs-and-pmr446-walkie-
talkie-radios.htm

When in Europe, don't even mention that you know any Americans.

Arnie's a Canadian, and I don't think that talking with people on a
usenet group counts as "knowing" them. As for two way radios, it would
probably be easier for Arnie to buy PMR radios when he gets to Europe
than to buy them online from a European dealer.

Old March 12th 05, 02:35 AM
running dogg

uncle arnie wrote:

Going to Netherlands, France, Italy, Germany in early summer. Anyone with
recent travel experience? I wld take a portable SW like an ATS606 and wld
like to take a pair of FRS radios also. If anyone has had any trouble
taking radios with them by plane I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.

The cheapest SW radios you can find are on ebay. If you have $50
invested in a radio, you won't worry about security helping themselves
to it. Try buying a Tecsun radio, Degens can't be sold to Canadian
customers online because of import restrictions on the part of the
Canadian government. Keep batteries in the radio, keep it in carry on
luggage (many of the Tecsuns are small enough to put in your carry on
bag) and be ready to turn it on and demonstrate that it works to get
past security. Artaud says that FRS radios are illegal in Europe, I
would definitely check into that before going. You may wish to buy
European compatible two ways online or if you can't do that buy them
when you get to the Continent.

R.BULGARIA B'04 dxAce Shortwave 0 October 25th 04 02:16 PM
Radio Budapest B04; ADXB-OE QSL-Aktion Extended Until December 31 dxAce Shortwave 0 October 23rd 04 12:24 PM
R Prague B04 sked Mike Terry Shortwave 0 October 5th 04 09:51 PM
Bulgaria A04 N8KDV Shortwave 0 March 19th 04 05:35 PM
Fwd: R Prague A 04 Summer Schedule WA4009SWL Shortwave 1 March 18th 04 07:32 PM