Old March 11th 05, 10:28 PM
Chris Hill

Default Ten-tec R320d

Well, I finally got in my new receiver. I just couldn't resist full
computer control, figuring it would be the most accessible since I'm
blind and good with computers.

I've only had it for about a day, but I'm fairly happy with it so far.
The band is not all that good, but it seems to be working fairly well.
I was quite surprised to get more buttons on the screen (at least
things my speech can see) with a higher screen resolution. I couldn't
have imagined this kind of access when I was really into shortwave 20
years ago.

Only problem I've noticed is that the receiver was just slightly out
of adjustment, it was about 60hz off. Nice thing is that with the
software I fixed it in a matter of minutes by tuning in wwv and trying
adjustments until I got it spot on. This is the first radio I've ever
had with usb and lsb, instead of just a bfo switch. That combined
with decent filters does definitely help.

Sad to hear that Flanders Today will be gone at the end of the month
on RBI (11.730 booming in here).

Somebody needs to come up with a webpage or program to put all the
international programs in one place, I don't find that sort of
listening to be at all easy.
Old March 11th 05, 10:45 PM
clvrmnky

On 11/03/2005 5:28 PM, Chris Hill wrote:
Well, I finally got in my new receiver. I just couldn't resist full
computer control, figuring it would be the most accessible since I'm
blind and good with computers.

Computer-controlled receivers look very interesting. Unfortunately, I
use Mac most of the time.

[...]
Sad to hear that Flanders Today will be gone at the end of the month
on RBI (11.730 booming in here).

Me too. RVI is my first ever QSL. 11730 really comes in strong for me
with a little wire hanging out the door. I was hooked on the first
listening, right up to where they said they were going away.

Somebody needs to come up with a webpage or program to put all the
international programs in one place, I don't find that sort of
listening to be at all easy.

Right. A page that can be properly read by a screen-reader. This is
the big advantage of using standards-compliant content with style-sheets.

I'm guessing you'd like an electronic, searchable version of the
Passport to Worldband's "English-language broadcasts" pages?

It's easy to do this. The hard part is keeping it up-to-date. Well, I
guess the data entry would be a pain, too.

I've though of a similar type of system, with the added bonus of being
able to rate or tag entries so I can get a result set that answers the
question, "what English language broadcast are on right now that I think
would be coming in nicely at this hour where I am?"

--
clvrmnky

Heat up and unmunge email to reply.