Old March 12th 05, 09:30 AM
jimg

Default drake r8 vs icom r-75

any opinions about which to buy for dx...
a 1992 drake r8 or a 2004 icom r-75 w dsp but without kiwa mods.

thnx
jimg
Oregon
USA
Old March 12th 05, 12:08 PM
Dan

2004 R-75. . .

You can get the Kiwa Fidelity Mods as an extra..

Don't know how " RF Quiet" your environs are ;
or what kind of antenna(s) your using..

Old March 12th 05, 01:07 PM
dxAce

jimg wrote:

any opinions about which to buy for dx...
a 1992 drake r8 or a 2004 icom r-75 w dsp but without kiwa mods.

I'd take a nice Drake R8 over the R-75 any old day...

dxAce
Michigan
USA

"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers". ©

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old March 12th 05, 05:27 PM
Jack Painter

"jimg" wrote
any opinions about which to buy for dx...
a 1992 drake r8 or a 2004 icom r-75 w dsp but without kiwa mods.

thnx
jimg
Oregon
USA

jimg, if your hobby interests will not involve computer-control, and most
seem to today, then the Drake R8 is a nearly unmatched machine. But since
the best software control ever made for the Drakes (Mark Fine's/Fineware
Smart-R8) is no longer sold or supported, that leaves the Drakes at a slight
disadvantage. Icoms can be controlled by almost all radio software programs.

Best regards,

Jack Painter
Virginia beach, Virginia

Old March 12th 05, 06:48 PM
Telamon

jimg wrote:

any opinions about which to buy for dx...
a 1992 drake r8 or a 2004 icom r-75 w dsp but without kiwa mods.

thnx
jimg
Oregon
USA

News==----
Newsgroups

Do yourself a favor and get the R8B for any kind of listening you want
to do and forget the R75 unless you want to play with the radios innards
to get the performance you want.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 12th 05, 07:47 PM
Brian Denley

Jack Painter wrote:
. Icoms can be controlled by
almost all radio software programs.

So can Drakes.

--
Brian Denley

Old March 12th 05, 08:50 PM
uncle arnie

jimg wrote:

any opinions about which to buy for dx...
a 1992 drake r8 or a 2004 icom r-75 w dsp but without kiwa mods.

thnx
jimg
Oregon
USA

Get the drake if you can afford it. The Icom can be quite cheap and will
outperform portables in general though not many in the table top category.
Old March 13th 05, 02:11 AM
Lucky

"jimg" wrote in message
any opinions about which to buy for dx...
a 1992 drake r8 or a 2004 icom r-75 w dsp but without kiwa mods.

thnx
jimg
Oregon
USA

Get the R-75 with DSP. The old Drake's encoders go bad after a while. I have
read about several people having to send them in to Drake for new ones. Now,
while the R8 does have a optical encoder as opposed to the later models
mechcanical, those go bad too.

If you're into SSB and DXing, get the R-75. If you program listen mostly,
get the Drake. But I have no problem doing BCB on the R-75.

Remember, the R-75 has Twin PBT and filters you mix and match plus DSP and
it's newer. Can't be beat for the money.

Good luck.

Lucky

Old March 13th 05, 05:03 AM
Pete KE9OA

I am not sure how much Drake wants for their optical encoders, but you can
use either an Oak-Grisby or a Grayhill optical encoder. These are Quadrature
encoders that have four pins.............these are Channel A, Channel B, V+,
and ground. Universal hookup.................about 30 dollars USD.
I have gotten to play with the R8 and it is a nice receiver. The R75 is also
a winner, but it gets better after you do those mods. The only mod that I
have done to my R75 was to remove that MW attenuator. After that, it's a
great MW receiver. Now, if they would only do something about that "large
front mounted speaker". Another thing about the R75..........it would be
good to regulate that wall wart down to 15 volts, using a 7815 positive
regulator. Dave Zantos (N9EWO) just informed me tonight that there have been
internal regulator failures with the R75. I haven't used mine enough to
notice how hot the receiver actually does run.

Pete