Old March 14th 05, 12:22 AM

What would be a good "second" shortwave radio? Given the exchange rate,
I'm not in the mood to get a second 7030. I'm not a fan of black box
radios. I guess that leaves a tentec 350 or maybe build an elecraft.

Old March 14th 05, 01:54 AM
Telamon

In article .com,
wrote:

What would be a good "second" shortwave radio? Given the exchange
rate, I'm not in the mood to get a second 7030. I'm not a fan of
black box radios. I guess that leaves a tentec 350 or maybe build an
elecraft.

The Ten-Tec I own is a 340 and I can't comment on the 350. The 340
still costs $4K and I don't think you you want to pay that much. It's a
real nice radio but way beyond the diminishing returns factor. The 350
looks like an OK radio but people here have complained about the
performance here and the lack of software updates to address issues
they still have with the unit.

You can't go wrong with a Drake R8B for any SW interest you may have.
The R8B and 7030 have similar sound qualities with bookshelf speakers
in use.

You could get a ICOM R75 if you want to play radio doctor since you
seem to understand radio or electronics theory. Plan on getting an
external speaker right away if you go with the ICOM. If you are a
program listener like I am it's not a good choice. This unit is a POS
for program listening as it will never sound as good as an R8B or
AOR7030+. The R75 has a tiny advantage in sensitivity over the Drake if
DX'ing is your interest, that and the twin passband and DSP might give
it an edge over the Drake in some situations. My opinion here is just
based on specifications. I don't plan on getting experience with the
unit.

The R8B internal speaker is just OK and it sounds much better with an
external speaker. The RX340 internal speaker is also just OK and the
$4K unit also sounds better with an external speaker. A $20 non
amplified bookshelf is all you need.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 14th 05, 03:13 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
..
.

The Ten-Tec I own is a 340 and I can't comment on the 350.

The 350 has not had a firmware upgrade for nearly 2 years. I have one in a
closet, as it is not a particularly good AM DX machine. I have an old R8 and
a modified R75 that both outperform it.

Why don't you sell it then? Why leave it in a closet. The spectrum
display looked interesting to me. Did that display turn out not to be
useful?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 14th 05, 03:34 AM
Brian Denley

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in
message
..
.

The Ten-Tec I own is a 340 and I can't comment on the 350.

The 350 has not had a firmware upgrade for nearly 2 years. I have
one in a closet, as it is not a particularly good AM DX machine. I
have an old R8 and a modified R75 that both outperform it.

Why don't you sell it then? Why leave it in a closet. The spectrum
display looked interesting to me. Did that display turn out not to be
useful?

Yeah it is pretty useful. The RX-350 is a very good high end receiver and
might still become an excellent one. It is 100% DSP and has a built-n noise
reduction and auto-notch, three sync modes, and scans very fast. Ten-Tec is
finally working toward a firmware upgrade.

--
Brian Denley

Old March 14th 05, 03:44 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"Brian Denley" wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in
message

m..
.

The Ten-Tec I own is a 340 and I can't comment on the 350.

The 350 has not had a firmware upgrade for nearly 2 years. I have
one in a closet, as it is not a particularly good AM DX machine. I
have an old R8 and a modified R75 that both outperform it.

Why don't you sell it then? Why leave it in a closet. The spectrum
display looked interesting to me. Did that display turn out not to be
useful?

Yeah it is pretty useful. The RX-350 is a very good high end receiver and
might still become an excellent one. It is 100% DSP and has a built-n noise
reduction and auto-notch, three sync modes, and scans very fast. Ten-Tec is
finally working toward a firmware upgrade.

I looked around on the Ten-Tec site and did not see this mentioned.
Where did you read about it?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old March 14th 05, 03:50 AM
mike0219116

Telamon: I looked around on the Ten-Tec site and did not see this
mentioned.
Where did you read about it?

mike0219116: I know that PWBR mentioned that there was a new firmware
under development. In fact, they had been suppled with a beta version
of the new firmware. However, because of other committments, Ten-Tec
has been unable to get a final version completed.

Old March 14th 05, 03:53 AM
Michael Lawson

"running dogg" wrote in message

The more I think about it, the more concerned I am about the

reference
to the "limited availability" of the R8B on Drake's website. I

really
hope this isn't the beginning of the end of Drake receivers. That

would
really be depressing.

Drake hasn't brought out a new model in quite some time. I doubt

that
things are going well for the company. In fact, sales of all

tabletops
have been going down while sales of cheap Chinese portables have

been
going up. Passport said in their 2005 edition that the Sat 800

(which is
based on the Drake SW8 but made by Tecsun) will be discontinued

shortly.
AOR no longer sells tabletops in the US or indeed anywhere else

except
the UK. Maybe the end of tabletop makers in the west (including

Japan)
will lead to Chinese makers filling the void-Degen for one is

seriously
talking about a high end receiver, which would probably be too

expensive
for its traditional domestic market. But it's possible that the DXer
market is at its saturation point and that demand for tabletops can

be
satisfied by all the used models already out there. I don't think

it's
the beginning of the end for shortwave radio in general-like I said
Degen and Tecsun seem to be doing well-but it may be the end of the
traditional DXer portion of SW.

I'd asked about the future of the Drake series to the
service manager at R.L. Drake when I sent my Sat 800
in for a tune-up. His response was that the R8B was
it, there would be no R9. Sounds like their satellite
business is doing well; they had landed a deal with
SBC recently, he told me.

Really, it simply sounds like the future of shortwave
radios from Drake is to do the designs and let someone
else build it. The service manager had told me that
after they'd signed the deal for the Sat 800, they'd
wanted to do one more run of the SW8, but they
couldn't.

--Mike L.

Old March 14th 05, 03:54 AM
Brian Denley

Telamon wrote:

The Ten-Tec I own is a 340 and I can't comment on the 350.

The 350 has not had a firmware upgrade for nearly 2 years. I have
one in a closet, as it is not a particularly good AM DX machine. I
have an old R8 and a modified R75 that both outperform it.

Why don't you sell it then? Why leave it in a closet. The spectrum
display looked interesting to me. Did that display turn out not to
be useful?

Yeah it is pretty useful. The RX-350 is a very good high end
receiver and might still become an excellent one. It is 100% DSP
and has a built-n noise reduction and auto-notch, three sync modes,
and scans very fast. Ten-Tec is finally working toward a firmware
upgrade.

I looked around on the Ten-Tec site and did not see this mentioned.
Where did you read about it?

Talked to Gary Barbour at Ten-Tec. He is really trying to get an update in.
He asked if I would do some testing.

--
Brian Denley

Old March 14th 05, 02:43 PM

I couldn't get a definitive answer to that question. He said that the
issue of discontinuation is something that's "under review at this
time". In that case, only time will tell.

Steve