Old March 14th 05, 05:13 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Default Ham transceiver gen. cov. Rx ?

I'm curious as to what users have found when they use the general coverage
in their ham transciever for SWLing and VLF. Has anyone made any AB
comparisons to their SWL gen. cov. RX? Which ones seem to be best? I know
Kenwood and Icom make SWL receivers that look much like a transciever and
might even use the same circuitry, not sure about Yaesu though. The Icom
R-75 looks a lot like the Icom 718 but the Rx has the PS built in. I can't
recall the Kewood models. How about the Kenwood TS-2000 or Icom 756 Pro for
gen cov?
tnx

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

Old March 14th 05, 05:24 PM
John Plimmer

Have a look at the link below and you will find my review of the Drake R8B
side by side with the Icom 756 PRO III

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
RX Drake R8B, SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

m...

Old March 14th 05, 05:32 PM
SheAnon

For casual use my Kenwood TS-870S works fine for SW and BCB listening.

I think it is really more in the antenna than the receiver as far as
"pulling em in". Most modern rigs have lots of gain and sensitivity. The
noise floor is more importatnt in this regard. Dynamic range is an important
consideration as well.

But purists would opt for the SWL receivers with synchronous detection and
other features not found on Ham transceivers.

A Ham transceiver has the advantage of use when and if you have Ham license.

Also the TS-2000 (as an example) covers
TX: 10-160 m + WARC / 6 m / 2 m / 70 cm
RX: General coverage
23 cm/10 W option
Mode: AM/FM/SSB/CW

--
C. L. - Reader Beware

Old March 14th 05, 09:34 PM
Tom Randy

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:13:16 +0000, Henry Kolesnik wrote:

I'm curious as to what users have found when they use the general coverage
in their ham transciever for SWLing and VLF. Has anyone made any AB
comparisons to their SWL gen. cov. RX? Which ones seem to be best? I
know Kenwood and Icom make SWL receivers that look much like a transciever
and might even use the same circuitry, not sure about Yaesu though. The
Icom R-75 looks a lot like the Icom 718 but the Rx has the PS built in. I
can't recall the Kewood models. How about the Kenwood TS-2000 or Icom 756
Pro for gen cov?
tnx

I sometimes use my Kenwood TS-450S and it works great. I use a G5RV with
it. I have an Icom 706MKII but haven't played with it on SW yet, I suspect
it's also excellent on the SW bands.

Old March 14th 05, 11:22 PM
Henry Kolesnik

I forgot to mention that one of my reasons for the question was that I was
going to look at an older Kenwood TS-2000 that followed me home. Afer
struggling with all its functions I finally got it to do what I wanted, that
is after studying the manual, you can't leave without it, hacking doesn't
cut it. Now to check it out.

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

Old March 15th 05, 02:40 AM

Is the TS-2000 a R2000 under another tag?

If so, there is a R20000 newsgroup that you
might be ineterested in.

Terry

Old March 15th 05, 02:55 AM
Henry Kolesnik

Les
I see you have a R274C. I have a R274D/FRR by Hallicrafters with what
appears to be a factory for SSB with a set of three Collins mechancial
filters and 24 tubes. Ever hear or see of another as I'm looking for more
info?
tnx

--

73
Hank WD5JFR
"Les" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ken Wilson wrote:
Henry Kolesnik wrote:
I'm curious as to what users have found when they use the general

coverage
in their ham transciever for SWLing and VLF. Has anyone made any

AB
comparisons to their SWL gen. cov. RX? Which ones seem to be best?

I know
Kenwood and Icom make SWL receivers that look much like a

transciever and
might even use the same circuitry, not sure about Yaesu though.

The Icom
R-75 looks a lot like the Icom 718 but the Rx has the PS built in.

I can't
recall the Kewood models. How about the Kenwood TS-2000 or Icom

756 Pro for
gen cov?
tnx

I really like the 756 PRO I bought used a few weeks ago. The MW has a

bit of attenuation....but that is ok except for weak signal daytime

use.

I think they are a real bargain at around $1100 - $1200. No SYNCRO

AM
however. I think the 746 PRO does have SYCRO AM though.

73 es DX Ken KG4BIG

I'll have to echo John's and Ken's sentiments on this one. I have a
friend who lives close by and we have compared the 756 Pro II with
several high end receivers. Other than some attenuation on mw and lw,
it is superb as a sw receiver. To my ear, the RX-340 sounds better, but
the 756 is as good in pulling in the tough signals. Of course, many
will not spend the money for a transceiver if they do not have an
amateur license, but many will. The colorful display is something to
see. Lots of information in that display!

Having owned many, many Drake receivers over the years, the news about
Drake getting out of the receiver business is not good news. But, we
should have known it was coming, shortwave receivers are but a drop in
the bucket of the electronics business.

Les Locklear
Monitoring since ' 57
Monitoring from the Gulf of Mexico
Hammarlund R-274C/FRR (SP-600JX-14)
R-1051B/URR
Ten Tec RX-340
Alpha Delta Sloper
Quantum QX Loop
Various Longwires
CU-2279/BRC Multicoupler
http://www.hammarlund.info/homepage.html

Old March 15th 05, 02:55 AM
Henry Kolesnik

I'll have to check it out.
tnx

--

73
Hank WD5JFR
oups.com...

Old March 15th 05, 10:40 PM

Is the TS-2000 a R2000 under another tag?

*Totally* different animals...The TS-2000 is a much more
modern design than the fairly old R-2000. The TS-2000 is
all bands-all modes much like my IC-706mk2g. Except with
more toys than the small icom. It will also cross repeat,
work duplex for Sat's, etc...I wouldn't mind getting a
TS-2000 as a house radio...A few friends on mine have
TS-2000's...I've worked 160m, via UHF, by talking to a
guys TS-2000 on UHF, thirty miles away, using my 706g,
and then being repeated onto 160m. They are very versatile
radios. BTW...I use my IC-706mk2g for SWL, and MW quite a
bit..Also the TS-2000 is capable up to 1.2 gigs with an
extra module. I think anyway....The radio is a lot of
bang for the buck...Ain't no high end contest-dx rig, but
I don't contest... MK