Old March 14th 05, 09:31 PM
Tom Randy

Default Is shortwave dead?

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:37:24 -0800, running dogg wrote:

With the end of Drake shortwave tabletop radios, the question bears asking
again: is shortwave dead?

The answer (which apparently needs to be repeated 1,00 times a year) is:

NO.

Have a good evening.

Old March 14th 05, 09:40 PM

running dogg wrote:
With the end of Drake shortwave tabletop radios, the question bears
asking again: is shortwave dead? How much longer till the only

thing
you hear on HF is static and the occasional mil comm?

If you're worried about there being nothing at all on shortwave, then
you should stop worrying immediately. SW represents a big chunk of the
EM spectrum. There'll ALWAYS be someone looking to take advantage of
that amount of bandwidth. You can trust me on this: someone will ALWAYS
find a use for it.

Mind you, there is some possibility that we'll be fools enough to allow
something like BPL to destroy broad swaths of the electromagnetic
spectrum. In that case, all bets are off. However, setting aside the
potential for such a disaster, someone will always be doing something
on shortwave.

As for whether the programming and content on shortwave 20 years from
now will be programming and content that interests you...well, that's
another issue entirely.

It's very hard to envision what shortwave will be like in 20 years, but
that's part of what's fascinating about it. I think the content you'll
find on broadcast AM and FM, as well as TV and satellite will be pretty
much the same sort of commercially driven crapola that you find now,
with small variations in theme here and there. With shortwave, though,
it's not so easy to predict. Shortwave, I think, is wide open and
spacious, like a frontier. I for one can't wait to see where it goes.

Steve

Old March 14th 05, 10:41 PM
Mark

"Tom Randy" wrote in message
The answer (which apparently needs to be repeated 1,00 times a year) is:

HOW many times a year? :-)

Mark.
Auckland
New Zealand.