Old March 16th 05, 04:07 AM
jimg

Default why is the icom r-75 kaput?

i was talking to craig at kiwa electronics today and he couldn't
believe it as he knows as a matter of his business how popular the r75
is.

i understand his reasoning but the r-75 has some nasty little warts
that need work before it's a good modern rcvr, hence craig's business.

but today, given an rf preamp chip, an analog devices adc, an fpga, a
coupla ti dsp processors, a coupla voltage regulator chips, and you
have a very high performance radio...ever open a ten-tec...there's
nothing inside. i'm sure icom is about to come out with a very modern
rcvr derived from the dsp based receivers in their new transceivers.

jimg
Oregon
USA
Old March 16th 05, 04:25 AM
Lucky

"jimg" wrote in message
i was talking to craig at kiwa electronics today and he couldn't
believe it as he knows as a matter of his business how popular the r75
is.

i understand his reasoning but the r-75 has some nasty little warts
that need work before it's a good modern rcvr, hence craig's business.

but today, given an rf preamp chip, an analog devices adc, an fpga, a
coupla ti dsp processors, a coupla voltage regulator chips, and you
have a very high performance radio...ever open a ten-tec...there's
nothing inside. i'm sure icom is about to come out with a very modern
rcvr derived from the dsp based receivers in their new transceivers.

jimg
Oregon
USA

I fully agree Icom has something to take it's place. Perhaps a beefed up
R-75 base with all the fixes plus better DSP at an affordable price. I hope
they don't cut corners too much if they do come out with something new. If I
didn't own a R-75, I would been buying one right away.

This may the last chance to pick a brand new communications receiver with
DSP that performs so well for the money.

Sans wild brand loyalty, no one here that loves SW radio that tried a R-75
for a month would really have much to complain about and would want to keep
it.

Lucky

Old March 16th 05, 04:43 AM
jimg

jimg wrote:

hmmm..i bought one the other day and am still waiting for it to
arrive. that's why i was talking to craig at kiwa...we were picking
out some of his r75 mods...craig seems to think highly of the radio as
you do, though there's alot of opinions when i asked for some guidance
before the purchase.

and we spent too much time talking about how to rig up a 500' beverage
antenna on a boxkite at the beach without blowing out the front end
from static...

but i really can't figure out the prices of the tabletop sw radios,
like the tentec 350d...it's 4 chips, a board, and an lcd display with
a fancy plastic case. yes, there's a fair amount of nre costs, but
still...i'd love to know what the volume/yr is one some of these radio
models...anyone have any idea...is it thousands, tens of thousands,
hundreds of thousands worldwide? maybe there aren't very many swlers?

.. .

Old March 17th 05, 03:30 AM
Brian Denley

jimg wrote:
jimg wrote:

[...]

jmg:
Those DSP devices can be expensive. That display is expensive. The main
reason Ten-Tec was able to sell the RX-320 for $300 was because they didn't
have to supply a display or the the controller to run that display. That's
typically about 60% or more of a receiver's cost.

--
Brian Denley

Old March 22nd 05, 11:00 PM

500 foot boxkite antenna.I hope you have insurance agains't ligtning
strikes.Beaches,especially Florida beaches,are well known for attracting
lightning. www.lightningstorm.com That lightning will light your
happy ass up! Lightning does occur on the best of sunshiny days too.
cuhulin

Old March 16th 05, 10:52 PM
RHF

LUCKY,

I have an Icom IC-R75 with the Kiwa Mods and like it very much.
Old March 16th 05, 11:16 PM
Lucky

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...
LUCKY,

I have an Icom IC-R75 with the Kiwa Mods and like it very much.
.
For the a Shortwave Receiver in the $500-$750 Price Range it
has many good features; performs really well; and is a very
good value for the Money.
.
IMHO - If the replacement for the Icom IC-R75 is a better radio
and still priced in the $500-$750 range it should sell very well.
.
However, if the replacement is in the $1000-$1500 range. Then
I would have to consider a Drake or JRC as being the better
vakue for that much money.
.
jm2cw ~ RHF
.
.

Hi there RHF

Yes, I wouldn't pay $1500 for the R75 either. The real deal is it's
price/performance. After all rebates and deals I paid $425 shipped. Plus it
has DSP and twin PBT and does the best ECSS and SSB. How in the world can
you beat that for a brand new radio?

I haven't done any mods yet. I might do the sync mod after the warranty is
up this Oct. I spoke to a person at HRO that I know. He said nothing is up
with the R8b and R75 being discontinued. He told me he has never seen even a
good radio last for too long. That they change models and eventually all get
discontinued.

Yes yes! I hope Icom comes out with a new higher end receiver for the same
money. We deserve it darn it!

Lucky

Old March 17th 05, 03:36 AM
Brian Denley

Hi there RHF

Yes, I wouldn't pay $1500 for the R75 either. The real deal is it's
price/performance. After all rebates and deals I paid $425 shipped. Plus
it has DSP and twin PBT and does the best ECSS and SSB. How in
the world can you beat that for a brand new radio?

I haven't done any mods yet. I might do the sync mod after the
warranty is up this Oct. I spoke to a person at HRO that I know. He
said nothing is up with the R8b and R75 being discontinued. He told
me he has never seen even a good radio last for too long. That they
change models and eventually all get discontinued.

Yes yes! I hope Icom comes out with a new higher end receiver for the
same money. We deserve it darn it!

Lucky

The R75 doesn't have DSP, it's a completely analog receiver. You can buy an
optional AUDIO dsp unit for the R75. You can buy an audio dsp add-on for
ANY shortwave radio. I use one with all my receivers.

--
Brian Denley

Old March 17th 05, 04:04 AM
R.F. Collins

They stilll make the IC-718. Its the same price with a 100 watt
transmitter thrown in.

Jim

Old March 16th 05, 11:51 AM
Dan

- Probably worth emailing Icom America and asking them directly...

http://www.icomamerica.com/mailbox/