Old March 16th 05, 03:36 PM
Lucky

Default Tabletop Short Wave Receivers

wrote in message
oups.com...
It is also a very good time to pick up one of the several high quality
tabletop receivers that have been pulled from the market in the last 15
years. A used Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu or Japan Radio receiver can also
provide a lot of value for the price.

Yes, a good condition Kenwood R-5000 has to be one of the best older radios
I ever used. It's so sensitive and with it's dual VFOs and excellent notch,
one of the best buys of an older rig.

Lucky

Old March 16th 05, 03:44 PM

F..K the govt!
cuhulin

Old March 16th 05, 03:42 PM

Last year,I paid $1,290.00 for my Velocity Micro,ProMagix computer from,
www.velocitymicro.com and at the risk of being called a 'tard,(Haw Haw
Haw) I also paid about $159.00 at the wal fart store at Greenway Drive
and Highway 18 (it's about a mile and a half South of my doggys
couch,South is always best) for my (hang on to your hats boys and girls)
Linksys Wireless B Music System internet radio.Please don't hate me too
much,I am a poor old fart and I am trying to save up some money for a
Drake Radio.
cuhulin

Old March 16th 05, 04:20 PM
dxAce

Lucky wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
It is also a very good time to pick up one of the several high quality
tabletop receivers that have been pulled from the market in the last 15
years. A used Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu or Japan Radio receiver can also
provide a lot of value for the price.

Yes, a good condition Kenwood R-5000 has to be one of the best older radios
I ever used. It's so sensitive and with it's dual VFOs and excellent notch,
one of the best buys of an older rig.

I would agree, the R-5000 is a very good radio.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 16th 05, 04:29 PM

That was the one I was thinking of, although I wanted to give equal
time to the others 'cause they are all fine units. Not only does the
R5000 have a good selection of very useful controls, but the quality of
it's audio is somewhat clearer (imho) than comparable receivers from
Icom or Japan Radio. I've found that edge of clarity helps with
certain weak stations.

Old March 17th 05, 03:26 AM
Brian Denley

Lucky wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
It is also a very good time to pick up one of the several high
quality tabletop receivers that have been pulled from the market in
the last 15 years. A used Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu or Japan Radio
receiver can also provide a lot of value for the price.

Yes, a good condition Kenwood R-5000 has to be one of the best older
radios I ever used. It's so sensitive and with it's dual VFOs and
excellent notch, one of the best buys of an older rig.

Lucky

Still got mine.

--
Brian Denley

Old March 17th 05, 03:47 AM
Michael

"Lucky" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
It is also a very good time to pick up one of the several high quality
tabletop receivers that have been pulled from the market in the last 15
years. A used Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu or Japan Radio receiver can also
provide a lot of value for the price.

Yes, a good condition Kenwood R-5000 has to be one of the best older
radios I ever used. It's so sensitive and with it's dual VFOs and
excellent notch, one of the best buys of an older rig.

Lucky

I got a chance to use my friends R-5000 for a few weeks. We swaped radios
and he got my R-75. I really liked the R-5000 a lot. The audio was
fantastic and the features were great. I also apprecieated the dual VFOs
and notch too. I'd love to have one. My fried that I swaped with liked my
R-75 and wound up buying a used one for himself. He didnt do any mods to
it. He uses it strictly as a ssb receiver for utility, ham and ecss dx'ing.

Just recently, I wound up doing another swap with another friend. This
time, I got to use the NRD-545. I absolutely loved the way it looked and
the DSP did some nice things, but I didnt fall in love with it because the
audio was poor. I found it to be tinny and weak. I had posted on this ng a
few months ago asking for info on the NRD-545 because I was thinking about
buying one, and one of the things I was advised about was that the audio
wasn't so good. Is that ever the truth. I'm not saying that it is a bad
radio at all, I'm just saying that it should be better for all that money
!!! The R-5000 audio is remarkably better then that of the NRD-545. I'd
say that the R-5000 audio sounded almost as good as the R8.

Michael

Michael

Old March 17th 05, 04:42 AM
Brian Sturges

"Jim" wrote in message
On 16 Mar 2005 06:32:45 -0800, "Joe Analssandrini"
wrote:

P.S. I am not a "conspiracy theorist," but could it be that governments
don't want people to own sophisticated short wave receivers because the
analog signals cannot be controlled by them?

By even postulating such drivel, you reveal yourself to be, in fact, a
"conspiracy theorist". "Governments" colluding to prevent people
from buying radios is the dumbest thing I've heard in quite a while -
and I'm a regular reader of this group!

Do you *really* think that Drake and Icom would go along with such
pressure - assuming it even existed? Don't you think that Drake and
Icom would say "**** you" and immediately go public with this news?

Jim

Try living in North Korea for a few hours- you won't be making fun of
government conspiracies for long. One of the "conspiracies" does involve the
ownership of even your basic BCB radio. It could happen closer to home as
well.
Brian

Old March 17th 05, 01:30 PM
Invader3K

You're forgetting, this is a democracy, not a backwards and barbaric
communist enclave like North Korea.