Old March 23rd 05, 01:14 PM
Dan

Default Phil's portable radio guide.

Good work; thanks for the Link..

- Still sticking by my Sangean 606A;
( For me, SSB is not realy an issue when travelling )
and SONY AN-LP-1 Combination

Dan / NYC

Old March 23rd 05, 01:37 PM
Sanjaya

"Dan" wrote

Good work; thanks for the Link..

- Still sticking by my Sangean 606A;
( For me, SSB is not realy an issue when travelling )
and SONY AN-LP-1 Combination

Hi Dan.
How do you like your PL-200?
Should suit you fine for biking etc.

Old March 23rd 05, 02:05 PM
Dan

Hi Sanjaya..

Still hedging.. I already have One table top & two portables ( Sangean
606A ( Good / excellent ) & Jwin JX-m-14 ( Cheap !!) :-) )

Now theres a Degen DE1105 on the horizon..
waiting for that one to see if it's THE one I should get..

Dan

Old March 23rd 05, 02:09 PM
Sanjaya

"Dan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi Sanjaya..

Still hedging.. I already have One table top & two portables ( Sangean
606A ( Good / excellent ) & Jwin JX-m-14 ( Cheap !!) :-) )

Now theres a Degen DE1105 on the horizon..
waiting for that one to see if it's THE one I should get..

Shoot. I thought you bought a PL-200.
Oh well.

Old March 23rd 05, 03:26 PM

I have a "portable" but it's for the wimmins,only :{) Palladin,,,
Palladin,, where do you roammmmmm,,,,,, three sheets in the wind and
back againnnnnn,,,,,,,,,,,
cuhulin

Old March 23rd 05, 06:45 PM

I like this guide overall, but in my opinion it does suffer from the
influence of the Cult of Eton (formerly Grundig).

Given the choice between a new SW77 and a new S800, I'd take the SW77
in a heartbeat--no, in a fraction of a heartbeat.

Steve

Old March 23rd 05, 07:10 PM
John S.

It is an interesting chart, but not exactly perfect in it's approach.
It makes the blanket statement that single conversion radios will be
excluded because "Double Conversion is necessary to reduce images."
The mere presence of double conversion circuitry does not guaranty a
reduction in images in my experience. This can be seen in the DE1103
which has serious problems with images from strong signals at twice the
IF (900 khz) down. And the DE1103 was included as one of the final
five at least in part because of it's purported resistance to images.
I assume the DE1102 has similar image problems, but don't know for sure.

Old March 23rd 05, 07:24 PM
Michael Black

"John S." ) writes:
It is an interesting chart, but not exactly perfect in it's approach.
It makes the blanket statement that single conversion radios will be
excluded because "Double Conversion is necessary to reduce images."
The mere presence of double conversion circuitry does not guaranty a
reduction in images in my experience. This can be seen in the DE1103
which has serious problems with images from strong signals at twice the
IF (900 khz) down. And the DE1103 was included as one of the final
five at least in part because of it's purported resistance to images.
I assume the DE1102 has similar image problems, but don't know for sure.

And of course, single conversion doesn't mean much in itself, since
it doesn't describe the design of a receiver. A single conversion
to 455KHz likely means bad image rejection at the higher frequencies,
but such a general statement overlooks receivers with good front
end selectivity that compensates for the low IF. And of course,
one can do a single conversion to a frequency in the HF range, and
image rejection will be pretty good.

Michael

Old March 23rd 05, 07:51 PM
John S.

Yup. That's why I'm not in favor of reviews that base their evaluation
on feature counts. A written review describing how the competing
receivers perform is far more useful when making a decision to purchase.

Old March 24th 05, 04:53 AM
Telamon

In article 9,
Conan Ford wrote:

Seen on Radio Intel.

http://www.radiointel.com/phil/2005_phil_port_guide.pdf

I do not understand the view point of price and performance. If you are
going to rate radios then rate them on how they perform. Price is a
separate issue.

I disagree that selective fading is less common then adjacent channel
interference. The adjacent channel interference would be less common if
the reviewer spent more time with radios that have better dynamic range
and shaped filters. The selective fading is a result of propagation.

I'm not sold on the cheap Chinese portables.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California