Old March 26th 05, 10:29 PM
Conan Ford

Default What is wrong with E-bay sellers?

I emailed a seller who is selling the ICF-SW7600GR, asking about shipping
to Canada. His response?

"Hello,
shipping will be $45plus canadian custom and duties.
however brockage fee and taxes must be paid up front."

My response:

"No, no, I didn't mean for same day air. How much for ordinary shipping?"

Now I know that he means to charge me $45 + brokerage fees + customs (about
$60) and ship it ground or as a small parcel by air, taking either 4 weeks
or 10 days to deliver, and earning him a tidy profit on just the shipping
costs. I also know that I could ship this same radio to the United States,
in its full box, for $30 Canadian, with delivery within 2-3 days, or $15
with delivery within 10 days.

Old March 26th 05, 11:13 PM

If you live anywhere near the US border, it is much cheaper to have the
package delivered to a depot at the border and go across yourself to
pick it up and just declare it at customs. Shipping within the US is
cheaper than shipping to Canada, and every parcel crossing the border
is subjected to a $35 minimum brokers charge. The post office only
charges $10 so USPS is the best method to ship. I have had the
ocasional small item shipped through the post office and paid no fee
at all. However, I have never had to pay such an inflated shipping
cost..........73..........

Old March 27th 05, 12:35 AM
m II

Conan Ford wrote:
I emailed a seller who is selling the ICF-SW7600GR, asking about shipping
to Canada. His response?

"Hello,
shipping will be $45plus canadian custom and duties.
however brockage fee and taxes must be paid up front."

My response:

"No, no, I didn't mean for same day air. How much for ordinary shipping?"

Now I know that he means to charge me $45 + brokerage fees + customs (about
$60) and ship it ground or as a small parcel by air, taking either 4 weeks
or 10 days to deliver, and earning him a tidy profit on just the shipping
costs. I also know that I could ship this same radio to the United States,
in its full box, for $30 Canadian, with delivery within 2-3 days, or $15
with delivery within 10 days.

UPS is the worst offender. They take payment for shipping from the sender.
That's normal. When they deliver the the package in Canada, they charge again. I
once paid around forty dollars shipping for an eBay oscilloscope 'win'. When the
package got here, it was ANOTHER seventy dollars. Some bargain. If it wasn't a
Tektronix 7904 I would have told them to keep it (in an unsunlit place).

United Parcel Service turn into thieves as soon as they cross the border. I
won't buy anything shipped via UPS any more.

The postal services of both countries have been pretty good, though. They have a
postal money order agreement between them, with low charges. You can cash the
order in most postal outlets. Convenient. You have to tell the postal person
that it's an international money order, going to the US or Canada to get the
right form. If you don't tell them, you will get the wrong form and the thing is
uncashable.

mike

Old March 28th 05, 07:11 AM
Brian - KB9BVN

UPS motto:

"What we don't destroy in shiping, we lose, guaranteed, overnight."

Old March 27th 05, 03:13 AM
Conan Ford

Conan Ford wrote in
3.159:

I emailed a seller who is selling the ICF-SW7600GR, asking about
shipping to Canada. His response?

"Hello,
shipping will be $45plus canadian custom and duties.
however brockage fee and taxes must be paid up front."

My response:

"No, no, I didn't mean for same day air. How much for ordinary
shipping?"

Now I know that he means to charge me $45 + brokerage fees + customs
(about $60) and ship it ground or as a small parcel by air, taking
either 4 weeks or 10 days to deliver, and earning him a tidy profit on
just the shipping costs. I also know that I could ship this same
radio to the United States, in its full box, for $30 Canadian, with
delivery within 2-3 days, or $15 with delivery within 10 days.

As I suspect:

"that is normal shipping it includes a messenger fee to take it to post
office"

Man, the ICF-7600GR must way 50 lbs for that to be ordinary shipping, even
with an extra courier thrown in.

Old March 27th 05, 03:47 AM
Mark S. Holden

Conan Ford wrote:

Conan Ford wrote in
3.159:

[...]

You do need to check on shipping on ebay.

Two years ago someone had a box of each color of ink for my printer for
$75 "Buy it now" - more than an 85% discount. Fortunately, I noticed he
wanted $600 for shipping before it was too late.