Old March 28th 05, 11:54 PM
Larry Loeb

Default And now for something completely different

I'm thinking about getting a MFJ-1020C active tunable antenna because I can
switch it between my portable and my non-portable shortwaves.

I can't run a big old outside wire. I can't.

I understand this is a compromise, but has anyone USED this?

Comments?

Best,
Larry Loeb

Old March 29th 05, 12:40 AM

Larry Loeb wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a MFJ-1020C active tunable antenna because

I can
switch it between my portable and my non-portable shortwaves.

I can't run a big old outside wire. I can't.

I understand this is a compromise, but has anyone USED this?

Comments?

Best,
Larry Loeb

Hi Larry. It's hard to believe that you can't get something as small as
an H-800 Skymatch antenna outside, and that would result in better
performance than any antenna you're apt to use indoors. The Skymatch is
about 22 inches long and it's housed in brown PVC pipe. You can put it
*anywhere*, and it will be an extremely quiet antenna provided you put
it in a quiet place.

I won't recommend the Skymatch for indoor use, as it would pick up too
much local noise. In fact, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on any
antenna that I was going to use exclusively indoors, unless of course I
had a large attic and could find a quiet place for it there, away from
computers, TVs etc.

In any event, I haven't used the antenna you're inquiring about, but
perhaps others have.

Best,

Steve

Old March 29th 05, 05:23 AM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

wrote in message
My Radio Shack catalog which dates back to 2001,on page 88,they list a 2
meter mobile antenna for $29.95 and on page 87 there is listed a Dummy
(with a picture of it) Load for transmitter tune-ups for $39.95.It
says,NEW.VEC- 550.Test and tune your transmitter without causing
interference.Usable from DC to 150 MHz,this compact dummy load handles
short-term power inputs up to 300 watts.Accepts PL-259 plug.VSWR (what
is VSWR?) is less than 1.5: 1 at 150 MHz.Approximately 2 14/16 x 5 x
2".1/2 lb.Includes manufacturer's 1-year warranty.940-0032 .......39.95
cuhulin

You might be able to get more for less at www.universal-radio.com .

Really, what you want to do is, find a local ham radio club. Just
ask a couple of the folks there, and one of them will have an SWR
meter (If that's a concern), and I'm sure they will be happy to test
your HT to make sure it works fine.

That's a good find you turned up!

73,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, MN

Old March 29th 05, 07:02 AM

Thanks Steve Lawrence.The PC Warehouse System 486 desktop computer that
I bought at the Goodwill thrift store about seven tenths of a mile South
(South is always best) of my doggys couch last week,the same afternoon I
bought my $2.00 Transceiver,last night I took the case off of that
computer and the latest date I saw in there is 12/94 (December 1994)
So,it is too old to use like it is,but I can hook it up and download a
free version of Linux into the computer and play with that and the
computer does have a CD drive and a big floppy drive and a smaller
floppy drive.I think I can get some use out of the computer anyway and
if my $2.00 Transceiver turns out to be ok,I won't feel so bad about the
$25.00 I paid for the computer.I think I will buy a 2 meter antenna and
a dummy load thingy from the Radio Shack store after I ask some local
Hams in the Jackson area about my 2 meter Transceiver.I am sort of
anxious to try it out.Sometimes in the mornings and evenings I hear a
few local Jackson area hams talking when I listen to my radio scanner.
cuhulin

Old March 30th 05, 04:43 AM
Mark S. Holden

Leonard Martin wrote:

In article ,
"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

wrote:

H-800 Skymatch Antenna? Who sells those antennas and how much do they
cost? Are they good for a 2 meter transceiver? Or which antenna would be
good for my ADi AR-147 + 2 meter transceiver (without spending a lot of
money because I don't know yet if it even works) that I bought for $2.00
(yes,I really did buy it for only $2.00 plus Mississippi RIPP OFF sales
tax) at the Goodwill thrift store last week? www.dogpile.com
Mississippi Amatuer Radio League
Maybe in June or July I will trot it over to ham radio meeting at the
Red Cross building on Riverside Drive and ask one of those Hams over
there how I should hook up my 2 meter Transceiver because I sure don't
know.Maybe I will get it over there early enough in the evening so I can
drive back home before dark.I don't like being out at night time.Only
curious,but I wouldn't mind knowing how much a Transceiver like that
cost brand new?
cuhulin

The Skymatch is an active antenna for HF use. If you hook it up to your
transceiver it'll fry very quickly.

Your best bet for a cheap 2 meter ham radio antenna is probably radio
shack. They'll probably have something that'll let you test the radio
for under $25.

My goodness! As one who's always been single I guess it's to be expected
that I would be surprised, but here comes my question still: Why do you
let her tell you what to do, in such detail, without resisting?

That's got to be a miserable way to live.

Leonard

You responded to my post - My wife isn't interested in radio, but
supports my interests. (of course I support hers too)

In fact back when I decided to put an antenna a couple hundred feet away
from the house and explained how it would be done I got a call from a
contractor the next day saying she'd hired him to dig the trench,
install the pipe and run the coax.

One thing I didn't think to suggest is he could run his coax through the
walls and attic - that's what I do and it looks much more finished.