Old March 29th 05, 07:03 AM
Lucky

Default Remember the Kenwood QR-666 ???

Does anyone here remember the Kenwood QR-666 or has owned one?
How were they? I can't find out if they were double or triple conversion.

How much do you think they are worth nowadays for collectors?

Thanks
Lucky

Old March 29th 05, 07:10 AM
Mark S. Holden

Lucky wrote:

Does anyone here remember the Kenwood QR-666 or has owned one?
How were they? I can't find out if they were double or triple conversion.

How much do you think they are worth nowadays for collectors?

Thanks
Lucky

The Osterman book says it's double conversion.

The prices in that book are somewhat out of date, but they felt it was a
one star (value rating) radio and worth $60-80.

For comparison, the same book indicated the range for a used R-1000 was
$280-$300 and they gave it 5 stars for value. The R-2000 was $380-$450
and 4 stars.

Old March 29th 05, 07:26 AM
Lucky

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
Lucky wrote:

Does anyone here remember the Kenwood QR-666 or has owned one?
How were they? I can't find out if they were double or triple conversion.

How much do you think they are worth nowadays for collectors?

Thanks
Lucky

The Osterman book says it's double conversion.

The prices in that book are somewhat out of date, but they felt it was a
one star (value rating) radio and worth $60-80.

For comparison, the same book indicated the range for a used R-1000 was
$280-$300 and they gave it 5 stars for value. The R-2000 was $380-$450
and 4 stars.

Hey hi Mark!

Long time no talk to. How have you been?

I just picked of these QR-666's for $81 tonight. It includes the original
manual too. I like the looks of it. Can't find any reviews for it but I'd
like to try it out.
It can be hooked up for car use. I like playing with some of these older
radios.

Lucky

Old March 29th 05, 07:28 AM
Lucky

Lucky wrote:

Does anyone here remember the Kenwood QR-666 or has owned one?
How were they? I can't find out if they were double or triple conversion.

How much do you think they are worth nowadays for collectors?

Thanks
Lucky

The Osterman book says it's double conversion.

The prices in that book are somewhat out of date, but they felt it was a
one star (value rating) radio and worth $60-80.

For comparison, the same book indicated the range for a used R-1000 was
$280-$300 and they gave it 5 stars for value. The R-2000 was $380-$450
and 4 stars.

BTW,

Didn't they know 666 was not the best choice for the US??

Lucky

Old March 29th 05, 04:17 PM
Pete KE9OA

I remember that radio..............it was advertised as being dual
conversion above 10MHz, single conversion below.

Pete

"dxAce" wrote in message

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

Lucky schrieb:

BTW,

Didn't they know 666 was not the best choice for the US??

Apparently not. But AFAIK the same rig with slighly modernized exterior
was sold as R-300 later.

Why was it not a good choice for the US? Just out of curiosity.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 29th 05, 04:40 PM
Michael A. Terrell

dxAce wrote:

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

Lucky schrieb:

BTW,

Didn't they know 666 was not the best choice for the US??

Apparently not. But AFAIK the same rig with slighly modernized exterior
was sold as R-300 later.

Why was it not a good choice for the US? Just out of curiosity.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

666 = a reference from the bible.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old March 29th 05, 04:59 PM
dxAce

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

Lucky schrieb:

BTW,

Didn't they know 666 was not the best choice for the US??

Apparently not. But AFAIK the same rig with slighly modernized exterior
was sold as R-300 later.

Why was it not a good choice for the US? Just out of curiosity.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

666 = a reference from the bible.

OK, but then most of the world uses Arabic numerals, so why would 666 merely
apply to the US?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 29th 05, 05:44 PM
Mark S. Holden

Lucky wrote:

Does anyone here remember the Kenwood QR-666 or has owned one?
How were they? I can't find out if they were double or triple conversion.

How much do you think they are worth nowadays for collectors?

Thanks
Lucky

The Osterman book says it's double conversion.

The prices in that book are somewhat out of date, but they felt it was a
one star (value rating) radio and worth $60-80.

For comparison, the same book indicated the range for a used R-1000 was
$280-$300 and they gave it 5 stars for value. The R-2000 was $380-$450
and 4 stars.

Hey hi Mark!

Long time no talk to. How have you been?

I'm doing pretty well, though I'm feeling I could have used another week in
Naples.

I just picked of these QR-666's for $81 tonight. It includes the original
manual too. I like the looks of it. Can't find any reviews for it but I'd
like to try it out.
It can be hooked up for car use. I like playing with some of these older
radios.

Lucky

As long as it's in good working condition you probably did OK. Having a manual
is nice - especially if it includes service information.

Having it capable of running from battery power is always a good thing too,
though you've also got the Lowe for that.

Regards,

Mark
Old March 29th 05, 06:00 PM
John S.

Sure...I owned the later version, R300 with the SWL bandspread dial.
They are double conversion on all but the lowest sw and all of the mw
band. Double conversion doesn't help much with the images, which
abound.

Still, it is a fun radio to use and it looks like it should have tubes
inside. The crystal marker allows accurate (by pre-digital standard)
tuning. And it has two filters that actually work, although they are a
bit sloppy for ssb work. After a few hours behind the dial, it does
become a bit tedious and you realize just how far receivers have
improved. It's younger digital siblings, the R600, R1000 and R2000
would be much easier to use and would perform much better. They will
not "look" like a glow-in-the-dark radio however.

If you are in the market, don't pay much over $100.

Old March 29th 05, 06:13 PM
Lucky

I'm so glad to hear you're doing OK. I was a little worried about you for a
while chap. I didn't see any posts from you like before and wondered what
happened.

OK so $81 was not high then. It looks from the picture and manual someone
just socked it away in storage.