Old March 30th 05, 07:52 PM
Ken Wilson

Default RF Systems MTA antenna

Does anyone have experience with this antenna ?

73, Ken

Old March 30th 05, 08:26 PM
Chris Dorn

Ken Wilson wrote:
Does anyone have experience with this antenna ?

73, Ken

Hi Ken,

Yes, I have some experience trying to order this product. Universal
Radio is the only North American dealer that carries this product. I
reside in Canada, and they refused to sell one to me. FedEx Ground would
easily ship the antenna, but Universal would not sell it. When I asked
why, they refused any explanation. I found them to unreasonable and
rude. I have been involved in the hobby for many years, and have
purchased from many Canadian and US radio dealers, and Universal gets a
big thumbs down from me. I think they feel they have a monopoly on the
SW radio sector, and it shows. The reviews I read on the antenna
suggested it was a good compromise for space limited situations where
noise is an issue. Upon further consideration, I would also look at the
Wellbrook products in this respect. The MTA is essentially a helically
wound wire with an magnetic balun. Pretty pricey for what it is, but it
has its place.

Chris VE6RDC
Old March 31st 05, 02:56 AM
m II

Chris Dorn wrote:

Yes, I have some experience trying to order this product. Universal
Radio is the only North American dealer that carries this product. I
reside in Canada, and they refused to sell one to me. FedEx Ground would
easily ship the antenna, but Universal would not sell it. When I asked
why, they refused any explanation. I found them to unreasonable and
rude. I have been involved in the hobby for many years, and have
purchased from many Canadian and US radio dealers, and Universal gets a
big thumbs down from me.

Thanks for the heads up. The radio community in general should be made aware of
this arrogance. It's quite possible that dxAce works in the shipping department.
That would explain everything.

mike
Old March 31st 05, 03:15 AM

Ken, if you haven't already done so, search through the
rec.radio.shortwave archives using the following keywords:

rf sytems mta

You'll turn up quite a few past comments on this antenna, and all of
the ones I read were very positive.

Steve

Old March 31st 05, 03:27 AM
Jeff

"Ken Wilson" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have experience with this antenna ?

73, Ken

Yea I have one, and can say it works at least as good as a 50'
wire with much less noise. Which in my book makes it better than the
wire, since its about S/N ratio and not just signal, very quiet antenna.
The 50' wire gave my R 75 an S-3 noise level usually. When I put
up the MTA, same radio, same lead in coax, no appreciable noise.
Made weak signal work much better. Easier on the ears. It is pricey.

Jeff

Old March 31st 05, 04:46 AM
RHF

KW,