Old April 4th 05, 12:12 AM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"David" wrote:

Talk about your overkill...

Overkill? In XP, double click on the time at the bottom right hand
of your monitor, click on the "Internet Time" tab, click on Update
Now, and wait for the confirmation message. You'll be within
2 milliseconds of "atomic time," and your system will update once
a week automatically.

No spyware, no malware, no viruses.

Do you define that as overkill?

73,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, Minnesota

Old April 4th 05, 12:31 AM
David

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 18:12:23 -0500, "Stephen M.H. Lawrence"
wrote:

"David" wrote:

Talk about your overkill...

Overkill? In XP, double click on the time at the bottom right hand
of your monitor, click on the "Internet Time" tab, click on Update
Now, and wait for the confirmation message. You'll be within
2 milliseconds of "atomic time," and your system will update once
a week automatically.

No spyware, no malware, no viruses.

Do you define that as overkill?

73,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, Minnesota

I have the little Atomic Time application correcting my clock every 15
minutes. I have robots to keep synchronized.

This is typical Microsoft weirdness:

''Synchronizing your computer clockIf your computer is a member of a
domain, your computer clock is probably synchronized automatically by
a network time server. If your computer is not a member of a domain,
you can synchronize your computer clock with an Internet time server.

If synchronization is enabled, your computer clock is synchronized
with an Internet time server once a week. However, if you don't have a
continuous Internet connection through a cable modem or DSL modem, the
automatic synchronization might not always occur. In that case, you
can force an immediate synchronization by clicking the Update Now
button on the Internet Time tab in Date and Time in Control Panel.
This tab is only available if your computer is not a member of a
domain.

If time synchronization fails
When you click the Update Now button, your clock should be
synchronized immediately. If it fails, it might be for one of the
following reasons:

You are not connected to the Internet. Establish an Internet
connection before you attempt to synchronize your clock.
Your personal or network firewall prevents clock synchronization. Most
corporate and organizational firewalls will block time
synchronization, as do some personal firewalls. Home users should read
the firewall documentation for information about unblocking network
time protocol (NTP). You should be able to synchronize your clock if
you switch to Windows Firewall.
The Internet time server is too busy or is temporarily unavailable. If
this is the case, try synchronizing your clock later, or update it
manually by double-clicking the clock on the taskbar. You can also try
using a different time server.
The time shown on your computer is too different from the current time
on the Internet time server. Internet time servers might not
synchronize your clock if your computer's time is off by more than 15
hours. To synchronize the time properly, ensure that the date and time
settings are set close to your current time in the Date and Time
Properties in Control Panel.
Notes

To open Date and Time, click Start, point to Settings, click Control
Panel, and then double-click Date and Time.
An Internet time server updates the date set by your computer as well
as the time.
The Update Now button is not available unless the Automatically
synchronize with an Internet time server check box is selected.
You can change the time on your computer clock manually on the Date &
Time tab in Date and Time in Control Panel. You can also open Date and
Time by double-clicking the clock on the taskbar. ''

Old April 4th 05, 12:33 AM
David

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 18:08:32 -0500, "Stephen M.H. Lawrence"
wrote:

"David" wrote:

Download this program. It'll set your PC clock automatically. It's
free.

....and probably crawling with spyware.

73,

Steve

In a 67K file? My Panda Titanium, Adaware, and Zone Alarm Pro have
found no malware in this tidy little program. Why don't you insult
the nice man who wrote it personally? His email's on the page.

Old April 4th 05, 03:42 PM
David

On 4 Apr 2005 06:44:24 -0700, "John S." wrote:

There are several ways to nudge the pc clock back to the correct time.
Later versions of Windows hit one of the time standard websites and
adjust the pc clock accordingly. Just set the time for when you will be
connected. For those of us that have earlier versions of windows or
are not connected regularly, just download one of the time update
programs. The safest (no attached spyware) and simplest is available
from the NIST website. Otherwise just manually reset the clock once a
month.

None of this applies if you are on a network where the administrator
controls the clock. In that circumstance you are at the mercy of the
admin's whim and interest in accurate timekeeping. My office pc clock
is typically 2 minutes fast.

The safest and simplest is the one I put a link to. That's why I
posted it. Zero bull****.

Old April 4th 05, 04:09 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"David" wrote:
Why don't you insult
the nice man who wrote it personally?

Why don't you post something even remotely related to
shortwave, just one time?

73,

Steve

Old April 4th 05, 04:48 PM
Stephan Grossklass

RadioGuy schrieb:

Time of the year again to 'spring forward'. checked NIST web site to get
current time---web site down (what a half-assed operation).

JFTR, you can find the NISTIME utility for both 16 and 32 bit Windows
(along with sources) on their FTP server:
ftp://time.nist.gov/pub/daytime/
Been using the thing for ages, it was the only such Win 3.1x app I found
at the time... 1998 or so. The nice thing is that once configured it can
run invisibly in the background, and it needs almost zero system
resources (about 1% of the system resources in 3.1x, and a few hundred K
of memory). It has been working flawlessly for me (meanwhile in the more
full-featured 32 bit version), as long as the configured server isn't
down of course. One of my classic indispensible utilities from my WfW
3.11 days, along with WS_FTP LE and Paint Shop Pro (used 3.12-32 for a
long time and upgraded to 4.12 not too long ago).

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W
Old April 4th 05, 05:30 PM

I only reset one of my clocks twice a year and that one is my old
antique Ansonia tick tock clock on my living room wall.My kitchen
clock,I never reset that one and since I quit wearing stupid
wris****ches many years ago,I don't even worry about them.I can always
use my tv remote control and or my webtv remote control to see what the
current date and time is.I can guess at the current time almost as good
as any clock or wris****ch can tell me the time.I am no good at
remembering what the date is though and it doesn't matter to me anymore
anyway.Sometimes when I wake up,I don't even know what day it is and I
couldn't care less either.
cuhulin

Old April 4th 05, 05:33 PM
John S.

Actually the most straightforward way if your OS is up to date and you
are not confined by a network, is to use the Windows utility. It works
and you never see it. The freeware commercial programs I've seen
usually require you to plow through popups and store some kind of
spyware.

The NIST software even looks like something from DOS. Very basic but
it works.