Old April 4th 05, 06:26 PM
atomicthumbs

Default Should I save for an Icom ICR3 or buy the 7600GR now?

I can't decide... I plan to be scanning stuff down in New Mexico and
Arizona over my vacation. Which one would be better?

Old April 4th 05, 08:14 PM
Jim Hackett

For one thing, the 7600GR is NOT a "scanner"
Secondly, even though the IC-R3 is TECHNICALLY a scanner, it is not a very
good one...

oups.com...

Old April 4th 05, 11:05 PM
Not any More

atomicthumbs wrote:
I can't decide... I plan to be scanning stuff down in New Mexico and
Arizona over my vacation. Which one would be better?

Get the 7600 - and then get a good used scanner. For $100.00 or so
your local pawn shop will probably have a good Uniden/Bearcat or Radio
Shack model. A friend of mine got an excellent condition 200 channel
R/S with charger and rubber duck for $30.00.

Shop around and make 'em an offer. You'll have the best of both worlds.

Old April 5th 05, 12:34 AM
Joe Analssandrini

Hello.

As others have said, you are comparing apples and oranges. That said,
do buy the Sony ICF-SW7600GR. You can get it for about $130.00. In my
opinion, no better small portable shortwave radio is currently being
made. You won't regret the purchase.

Let the ICOM IC-R3 go. Much of its cost is for television circuitry;
the current television standard is due to be phased out within a few
years rendering that scanner somewhat obsolete. There are other scanner
radios available which work as well and sell for similar or less money,
including some from ICOM.

Suggestion: if buying a scanner, consider buying from a Canadian or
English dealer so you will get a "cellular-UNblocked" receiver. I
personally find the cellular frequency restriction law in this country
to be an onerous intrusion on our rights. (The only other two countries
that have such restrictions are, I believe, Saudi Arabia and North
Korea!)

As always, the above are my opinions only.

Best,

Joe

Old April 5th 05, 01:37 AM
Not any More

Is unblocked worth the money any more? Most cities have gone to
digital cell systems.

Last time I took a pre-ban scanner to Hot-Lanta, the cell frequencies
were a mass of radio silence.

The best listening was always on the 49 mHz cordless frequencies
anyway.

Well .. at least that's what I was told. Me - I'd never stoop so low
as to .. yeah right.

Old April 5th 05, 01:31 PM

About eight years ago,I bought a Radio Shack Pro-91 150 channel scanner
for $75.00 at the EZ Pawn store across the Pearl River from Jackson.I am
listening to it right now.It's making that beeping noise now,that means
I need to put some new batteries in it.here is another EZ Pawn store on
Highway 80 about two miles East of me.Lots of pawn stores around
here.There is one at the corner of Ellis Ave and JR Lynch Street about a
mile and a half Southwest of me.I think I will check those two pawn
stores out after I check out the Goodwill thrift store this afternoon.
cuhulin