Old April 5th 05, 02:47 AM
Max Power

Default Has anyone ever designed a SW transmission system using curtan arrays that has a beamwidth of 2.5 to 5 degrees?

Has anyone ever designed a SW transmission system using curtain arrays that
has a beamwidth of 2.5 to 5 degrees?
Most standard curtain arrays [HR 4/4/1 to 12/6/1] have 15 to 30 degrees of
beamwidth.

Old April 5th 05, 01:15 PM

I don't know what a curtain array is for SW (Shortwave)
Transmitting.Perhaps someone else has more information.
cuhulin

Old April 5th 05, 01:38 PM

Has anyone ever designed a SW transmission system using
curtain arrays that has a beamwidth of 2.5 to 5 degrees?

I'd guess that if it were done, it would've been inspired by the
cold-war broadcaster vs jammer "contests".

If you can find pictures of antenna farms from the 50's/60's/70's
(sometimes pictured on QSL cards for example) you might look for
patterns indicative of the arrays you're interested in.

Tim.

Old April 5th 05, 02:41 PM
Dan

Curtain Array

- Last picture in the series..

http://www.xs4all.nl/~gouwelee/pj4pa2vst.htm

- ALSO.. heard on WBCQ that there is someone in Florida who made their
antenna(s)

Check around..

Old April 5th 05, 02:50 PM
RHF

Max Power,

Old April 5th 05, 03:06 PM

Bonaire,looks like a nice place.I didn't know those kinds of antennas
are called curtain antennas,but I have seen them before in movies and
books and magazines.
cuhulin

Old April 5th 05, 07:49 PM
RadioGuy

Max Power wrote in message
Has anyone ever designed a SW transmission system using curtain arrays

that
has a beamwidth of 2.5 to 5 degrees?
Most standard curtain arrays [HR 4/4/1 to 12/6/1] have 15 to 30 degrees of
beamwidth.

Talk about the curtain array... that brings to mind a somewhat recent class
I took, that of all students attending, there was the daughter of a VOA
engineer responsible for rebuilding a number of stations; she was in my
study group and what a nitwit!

I played dumb and never let on I knew anything about shortwave broadcast
stations or the pecuilar circumstances and delicate political situation
regarding one of her father's constructions.

RG

Old April 6th 05, 02:00 AM
Tom Holden

"Max Power" wrote in message
Has anyone ever designed a SW transmission system using curtain arrays
that has a beamwidth of 2.5 to 5 degrees?
Most standard curtain arrays [HR 4/4/1 to 12/6/1] have 15 to 30 degrees of
beamwidth.

It's gonna be big! A 3 meter diameter dish at 4 GHz has a beanwidth of 1.75
degrees. Scale that to 4 MHz and it will need a diameter of 3 kilometers.
For 5 degree beamwidth, probably about 1 kilometer diameter for 4 MHz, and
400 meter diameter at 10 MHz. An array will have similar dimensions for
similar results.

Tom

Old April 6th 05, 03:24 AM

What the hell! What is in the water over there in Colliersville anyway?
I am going to sic all of them mean old Pitt Bulldogs on you.Hey,I don't
know everything about Shortwave Radio and Shortwave Antennas and
Shortwave Transmitters.I do know what Curtain Antennas are now
though.Sheeesh!,,,y'all Tennesseans sure are dense! Memphians don't like
Mississippians either.Those Alabama Dumb Asses are far better than y'all
Tennesseans and so are those Louisiana Cajun Coon Asses too.I suppose
you have always all your life known what Curtain Antennas/Transmitters
are eh? Every since the day you was born!
cuhulin