RadioBanter

-   -   R8 from a smokers shack (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/68923-r8-smokers-shack.html)

[email protected] April 11th 05 07:30 PM

R8 from a smokers shack

A local guy has an immaculate R8
for private sale for about 400 (US)
The only downside is, he is a smoker
and the R8 has been exposed to
8 or so years of cigarettes.
He claims to have replaced the
encoder -- are there any other
issues that I should know about?

Colin -

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
www.coffeecrew.com Colin Newell's Daily Grind
rnewell AT vcn DOT bc DOT ca
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Joe Analssandrini April 14th 05 12:42 AM

Dear Colin,

If the seller is local to you, you can go over to his house and try the
radio for yourself. If the radio was well-taken-care-of, there should
be no problems.

Cigarette smoke does not cause any real damage to radios. The tobacco
odor will dissipate over several weeks and should be totally gone in a
year or less. If you're really concerned about the odor, leave the
radio outside for a few hours each day (in nice weather only!). That
should accelerate the dissipation of the odor.

Best,

Joe

John S. April 14th 05 12:52 AM

Check the functioning of all keys, switches and controls. Unless you
can put up with the smell, I would keep looking. I turned an otherwise
immaculate Yaesu 7700 back because it reeked of stale cigarette smoke.

8 years of exposure to cigarette smoke is a long time, and it gets into
every nook and cranny.

[email protected] April 14th 05 01:05 AM

Cigarette/pipe/cigar smoke wont have enough affect on the radio to worry
about.Computers are affected much differently by smoke though.It can and
sometimes does do a lot of damage to computers.It is best to not smoke
(better still to not smoke at all,I smoke like a choo choo train) near
computers.At least buy/use one of those air cleaners that helps to trap
smoke particles.
cuhulin

[email protected] April 14th 05 04:26 AM

There's a very good chance it will develop lung cancer down the road!

John Reed April 14th 05 06:23 PM

There's a lot more to what cigarette smoke does to a receiver than smell.
It gets into every control, key and contact. I bought an NRD-525 that must
have been exposed to smoke. Several of the keys won't make contact, all the
variable resistors are noisy and it's just about unusable. About the only
thing that can be done is to replace the bad resistors and switches and
clean all the contacts. Not a small job.

John Reed

[email protected] April 14th 05 07:08 PM

I guess I never though cigarrette smoke could have much affect on
radios.But after looking in my ash tray (small sardine can,the best kind
of ash trays,they won't break and they last forever) at the ashes in
there and the smoke,I have changed my mind.I wouldn't want to pour a lot
of smoke particles or ashes in my radios and my computers.I am going to
have to do something about my smoking or lessen the chances of cigarette
smoke getting into my good radios and computers somehow.Some stores sell
a type of cigarette ashtray's that has a charcoal filter and a little
battery powered fan in the base of the ashtrays.The fan pulls the smoke
down through and out of the charcoal filter.If I can't find an ashtray
like that,I am going to make one myself.
cuhulin

Dave Stadt April 15th 05 12:15 AM

I have an HQ180 that was owned by an extremely heavy smoker. The entire
radio was yellow/brown from smoke. Clean up was not all that bad and it has
had no problems since I have owned it which is now going on 13 years.

DeWayne April 15th 05 02:07 AM

"John Reed" wrote in message
There's a lot more to what cigarette smoke does to a receiver than smell.
It gets into every control, key and contact. I bought an NRD-525 that
must have been exposed to smoke. Several of the keys won't make contact,
all the variable resistors are noisy and it's just about unusable. About
the only thing that can be done is to replace the bad resistors and
switches and clean all the contacts. Not a small job.

John Reed

I've cleaned out computers owned by smokers. What a nasty mess! Just think
what goes into the lungs : (

DeWayne

DeWayne April 15th 05 02:10 AM

wrote in message
I guess I never though cigarrette smoke could have much affect on
radios.But after looking in my ash tray (small sardine can,the best kind
of ash trays,they won't break and they last forever) at the ashes in
there and the smoke,I have changed my mind.I wouldn't want to pour a lot
of smoke particles or ashes in my radios and my computers.I am going to
have to do something about my smoking or lessen the chances of cigarette
smoke getting into my good radios and computers somehow.Some stores sell
a type of cigarette ashtray's that has a charcoal filter and a little
battery powered fan in the base of the ashtrays.The fan pulls the smoke
down through and out of the charcoal filter.If I can't find an ashtray
like that,I am going to make one myself.
cuhulin

I bought a Kenwood TS440s a few years ago. I forgot to ask if he was a
smoker. The smell was absolutely sickening. I cleaned it up and still could
smell it. PU!

DeWayne

BDK April 15th 05 03:10 AM

In article ,
says...
[...]

Those switched that the 525 uses are really el cheapo and wear out
really quickly if the person really hits them hard, like some people do.
I replaced most of them on a couple of them, and there were broken
traces all over the place. What a miserable job it was.

You can get the switches from any electronics place, but JRC has them
for about a quarter each. I think it was.

BDK

BDK April 15th 05 03:16 AM

In article ,
says...

"John Reed" wrote in message
[...]

I had a yaesu 7700 about 15 years ago that I bought at a hamfest. It
worked fine, but stunk really bad. It seemed like it was a slightly
different color than any other 7700 I had seen. I didn't realize until I
started cleaning it up, that it was just the residue of the dead
previous owners 3 pack a day habit that made it that odd "orange-gray"
color. I ended up taking it almost completely apart and putting the case
into the dishwasher. It came out looking great, and I had no problems
with it except the speaker puked out just before I sold it.

BDK

D. Martin April 15th 05 01:17 PM

Smoke pours out of me, like out of some hellish chimney. It swirls
around here, and sticks to everything. Electronics are affected. You'll
notice it mainly in scratchy controls. Darren
http://hometown.aol.com/darren1965co...e/profile.html

dxAce April 15th 05 08:04 PM

Polly wrote:

wrote:
I did a www.dogpile.com for,Charcoal Filter Ash Trays
I think somewhere among my piles and piles of junk stacked on top of
piles and piles (literally) of junk,I do own a charcoal filter ash

tray
that has a little fan and charcoal filter in the base of it,It uses
either one C cell battery or one D cell battery.I remember I once

tried
it out and the fan makes quite a bit of noise and I decided not to

use
it so I put it back in the box and I stashed it somewhere.By the time

found it,I would have a long grey beard that would stretch from here

Montana www.montanasnews.com and back.I bought it at a Goodwill
thrift store years ago.I am going to the Goodwill thrift store and

the
foodstore and the Home Depot store this afternoon,but first I will

stop
off at Metrocenter Mall www.metromalljackson.com just across
Highway 80 from me and see if there is a store over there that sells

an
ash tray like that.I think there is a fancy tobacco store at

Northpark
Mall (that mall has a website,but I don't remember the website)

wayyyyyy
up North just across County Line Road from Jackson in Ridgeland and

they
might sell those kinds of ash trays.
cuhulin

Well, it appears I was right in my initial impression of you CooKooLin.

You live in a jigaboo neighborhood and you live by jigaboo standards. I
would bet that your filthy roach infested hovel is as close to being
condemned as some of those jigaboo shacks that surround you.

You are white trash PERIOD!

Jigaboo?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] April 15th 05 09:09 PM

D. Martin wrote:
Smoke pours out of me, like out of some hellish chimney. It swirls
around here, and sticks to everything.

I hope an equal amount goes in to represent the
output!

colin -
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
espresso.ts.uvic.ca receiver reviews - active antennas
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

[email protected] April 15th 05 09:10 PM

John S. wrote:
Check the functioning of all keys, switches and controls. Unless you
can put up with the smell, I would keep looking. I turned an otherwise
immaculate Yaesu 7700 back because it reeked of stale cigarette smoke.

He has dropped the price from about 480(CanuckBux) (425US)
to about 400(CanuckBux) -$350 US which is a great deal..

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

[email protected] April 15th 05 09:11 PM

wrote:
There's a very good chance it will develop lung cancer down the road!

Not unless the power supply is well filtered!

Bwaahahaha hehehee//..

colin -

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

[email protected] April 15th 05 09:12 PM

I have a theory that tube type oldies
may be less sensitive to puffers..

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

[email protected] April 16th 05 12:24 AM

Ahhhhh,Bite It! Potty Mouth Polly,just BITE IT! I live in a nice neat
tidy neighborhood.Except for living in a few other states,Indiana
1947,Montana 1956,Kansas 1957,Illinois 1963,Texas 1965,one foreign
Country,Vietnam 1964,my old home town 1941 (1947 was in Indiana) through
most of 1949,I have lived right here on the West Side of Jackson and the
few roads in my neighborhood,I have not seen or heard of any crime
around here yet.I keep my yard neat and tidy and I just recently painted
my house too.I just now mowed my yard.Go put some more perfume on,you
Stink! to High Heaven! You SLUT!
cuhulin

[email protected] April 16th 05 12:36 AM

Potty Mouth Polly,I don't want you moving into my neighborhood,,,,, You
STINK! all of my good neighbors would be holding their noses and
pointing at YOU!
cuhulin

[email protected] April 16th 05 12:38 AM

Yeah,you tell em,PMS Polly Potty Mouth,you tell em.
cuhulin

RHF April 16th 05 12:47 AM

RNEW,

Brian Hill April 16th 05 01:06 AM

"dxAce" wrote in message

Polly wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Poly is a racist cracker.

B.H.

Honus April 16th 05 02:26 AM

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

Poly is a racist cracker.

Damn, Brian! That was -funny-!! gbg

Brian Hill April 16th 05 05:58 AM

"Honus" wrote in message

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

Poly is a racist cracker.

Damn, Brian! That was -funny-!! gbg

: )

B.H.

Conan Ford April 16th 05 07:26 AM

wrote in :

A local guy has an immaculate R8
for private sale for about 400 (US)
The only downside is, he is a smoker
and the R8 has been exposed to
8 or so years of cigarettes.
He claims to have replaced the
encoder -- are there any other
issues that I should know about?

Colin -

It's not immaculate if it has been smoked on. Immaculate = like new, as in
it is like it just came out of the box.

D. Martin April 17th 05 07:11 PM

Smoke engulfs myself, and all I own. In the wintertime, when the place
is sealed up tight, opening the door releases a cloud of dense smoke.
May I suggest buying a more pricey non-smokers radio. Leave the smoke
laden remnents of things to people like myself. Darren
http://hometown.aol.com/darren1965co...e/profile.html

D. Martin April 17th 05 07:46 PM

Furthermore... The idea that a sensative, pristine, pure-type
individual, like yourself, would subject your sensabilities to a dirty
old smokers damaged goods, is troubling. Even if you soaped it down, it
would still be defiled. You deserve better. This radio, having been
smoked on, is like a woman who's "been around". She might be acceptible
to me, but I can't see you with her. Just some random thoughts. Darren
P.S. If you take up with her anyway, you'll always have issues of trust.

[email protected] April 17th 05 08:12 PM

So,while the woman "might have been around" (as you put it) What makes
you think you are so great yourself!? YOU! are full of ****!
cuhulin

John S. April 18th 05 03:28 AM

Well...I don't know whether the radio was defiled or not. That's a
personal issue best left with you and your radio...I have no interest
in knowing what the two of you do with the lights out.

I do know that radios that were used by smokers do accumulate the tar
and other residue left over from burning tobacco leaves. The result
smells like a combination of the clothes smokers wear and an old ash
tray that needs cleaning. Also, the tar does have an effect on
electrical components.

I'm not sensative to smoke, but I'm certainly sensitive to it - the
odor is obnoxious. When the odor is combined with an awareness of what
it does to the human body the habit becomes downright repulsive. I've
never understood why smokers feel it necessary to smoke while driving
with the window down and why they feel it necessary to drop ashes and
burnt cigarettes everywhere. Why not close the car window and get
fully enjoymant of all that smoke - I'm sure nobody else wants to share
it. And put the ashes in a cup or maybe an ashtray.

[email protected] April 18th 05 03:39 AM

I smoke and drive with my car window down while I am smoking.I never
throw my cigarette butts out the window.That is what ash trays are for
and I always use them too.Twice each month,I wash my car and I vacuum it
out and I clean out the ash tray and I dispose of the cigarette butts
and ashes in my garbage I put out front of my house on Tuesday's and
Friday's for the garbage truck to pick up.I am not a litterbug.
cuhulin

D. Martin April 18th 05 04:14 AM

Some people wax their cars. Not me. Mine is protected by a layer of
filth. The inside of my car is covered with a preserving coat of
nicotine. As far as "the butts" are concerned, I cast them about, like
Johnny Appleseed. Again, regarding smoke contaminated radios, don't
waste your time. Leave those poor, mistreated, smoked on, utilities, to
the likes of me. Darren

John S. April 18th 05 01:45 PM

Why not drive with the window up while smoking. That way you can
consume nictotine and tar more efficiently by not scattering most of it
to the wind. Who knows, you might be able to reduce the number of
cigarettes smoked while maintaining the same nicotine blood level and
save some money in the process. And the people behind you won't have
to involuntarily participate.

D. Martin April 18th 05 01:53 PM

Actually, I do keep my windows closed, in the car, as much as
possible. The glaze formed on the glass, from cigarette smoke, acts as
a window tint. Darren

John S. April 18th 05 02:02 PM

And the glaze forms in your lungs too, acting not as a sunscreen but a
particularly effective irritant that leads inexorably to one or more
serious physical maladies.

DeWayne April 18th 05 11:16 PM

"D. Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Then again, there are people who smoke their entire life, and die of
old age. Having lived a full, and rewarding life. My contention is,
that overall lifestyle, along with genetics, dictates an individual's
vulnerability to sickness. Darren

I have wondered about all that too, but don't the stats tell us that smokers
are at much higher risk of strokes, cancer, and heart attacks? Strokes are
SCARY!

DeWayne

D. Martin April 18th 05 11:17 PM

My self-justification is based solely on hypothosis. Life experience,
and knowlege of my ancestry, helps to formulate my opinion, as well.
Death is certain. Life is moreso precarious. I've done the math, and
the gamble is on. Darren

[email protected] April 19th 05 01:37 AM

I can't drive my car with the windows up or else my farts would blow
them all out.
cuhulin

John S. April 19th 05 02:17 PM

"My self-justification is based solely on hypothosis.
Life experience, and knowlege of my ancestry, helps to formulate my
opinion, as well. "
JS Sorry, but you know next to nothing about how your genetic makeup
will or will not protect you against the well documented dangers of
smoking.

"Death is certain. Life is moreso precarious."
JS No doubt that death is certain, but why intentionally bring it on
sooner than necessary. Why run the risk of having to live your last
decade pushing a wheeled oxygen cart around or being permanently
disabled by stroke or by having a lung suddenly collapse.

"I've done the math, and the gamble is on."
JS OK, so you say you have quantified the risk. Please explain the
math that you have done, tell me the numeric weights and probabilities
you used and how they were developed.

D. Martin April 19th 05 02:55 PM

I don't want to bore you with statistical data. You could counter it
anyway. I do have a favorite though. The japanese statistics on lung
disease. With a nearly 80% smoking rate among the adult populace, lung
problems are virtually non-existant. The only cancer known of, is of
the intestanal variety. That's been attributed to the high diet of
sushi.

I like smoking, actually enjoy it. My grandpa and I used to sit and
talk, while smoking. It was a real treat. We'd have long talks about
how much we enjoyed are smoking, among other things.

I'm beyond the reaches of your intellectual appeal. Anti- smoking
campaigns are blazing all around me. One thing I
like, my organs aren't suitable for transplantation, because of
cigarettes. That pleases me to no end. Darren