Old April 14th 05, 03:23 AM
§ Dr. Artaud §

Default Soapbox

wrote in news:6173-425CBB11-216@storefull-
3258.bay.webtv.net:

You know, come to think of it, this is probably the driving force behind
the desire to move all the TV and Radio to digital. If anyone knows for
sure, will there be ways for the broadcasters to code broadcasts so that
the material may not be recorded in a digital format by the general
public?

I had a DCC player once, and I know that I could record one copy of a CD
to the DCC tape. If I gave that copy to someone else, they would not be
able to make copies from it, as it was digitally coded that it was
already a copy. I could make infinite copies from the original CD, one at
a time, but these copies could not be used to make copies by others.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php?ID=11161

http://www.geocities.com/hiikeeba/2004.html This is some persons rant
page found by a search on Google, it seems to emphasize my point.

"First there was AM radio. Then there was stereo FM radio. The next
incarnation of terrestrial radio is Digital. Digital radio promises CD
quality sound, and it will be free!

Naturally, the RIAA is ****ed. They insist that there needs to be some
sort of copy protection so that we can't record songs off the air on our
digital radio/CD recorder set. We will be able to record a block of
songs, but not an individual song.

It's hard enough to record an individual song off the radio, what with
the DJs' inability to keep their mouths shut when a song starts and one
song fading out when another fades in. What makes the RIAA think somebody
is going to go to all that trouble?"

Regards,

Dr. Artaud

Article in my snail mail Popular Science magazine for May 2005 that
showed up here yesterday.It is a two page article starting on page
40.The article starts out,You Deserve Your RiVo.The Issue: The RIAA
wants to take away your right to record songs off the radio.I am not
going to type every word the aricle says because it would take me
forever.y'all can read the article at your local libraries or at the
magazine racks.
cuhulin

Old April 14th 05, 03:59 AM

First there was,Telephone "Radio".Read Your Spinach.
cuhulin

Old April 14th 05, 04:12 AM

There is an article in the back pages Classifides of my Popular
Mechanics magazine,May 2005 issue and Popular Science magazines have
similar ads too,sometimes.Check your local area libraries.
www.popularmechanics.com www.popsci.com DVD Copyguard
Eliminator.R.C. Distributing Co.P.O.Box 552 South Bend,Indiana 46624
(574) 233-3053 www.rcdistributing.com
cuhulin

Old April 16th 05, 12:53 AM
Ian Smith

"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote in message
[...]

As long as the digital sound has to be converted to analogue (for
speakers, heaphones etc.), there will always be some way of
circumventing digital protection without using "special" software,
even if it means a slight degradation of sound quality in the process.
Until they come up with digital receiver implants in our brains,
that is......

Of course, they could make music so cheap and available, it's not
worth pirating.

Old April 17th 05, 01:06 AM
Michael A. Terrell

Ian Smith wrote:

As long as the digital sound has to be converted to analogue (for
speakers, heaphones etc.), there will always be some way of
circumventing digital protection without using "special" software,
even if it means a slight degradation of sound quality in the process.
Until they come up with digital receiver implants in our brains,
that is......

Of course, they could make music so cheap and available, it's not
worth pirating.

They are taking another approach. They are releasing music so bad
you wouldn't take it if it was free.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old April 17th 05, 01:44 AM

=A7 Dr. Artaud =A7 wrote:
----------------
If anyone knows for sure, will there be ways for the broadcasters to
code broadcasts so that the material may not be recorded in a digital
format
by the general public?
-------------------------
Yes.
DRM
Digital Rights Management.
C-Span has beenrunnng a long series on what DRM will really mean.
In short, it grants/preserves the creator of "anything" the right to
control distribution and use.
As a funny example, a certain local hospital is using MS latest mail
system. A high level manage suite sent a memo to "all staff" by
accident. Management was able to remove this Eamil from all users
PCs. If you didn't print it, it no longer existed. It had to do with an
attempt to greatly reduce employeer contribuiton to retirement and
health insurance. They almost pulled it off, but a few people printed
it
before it vanished.
And that is a sad/funny story in itself. They fired teh clown who sent
the
memo and had to back down from the reducitons.

Another friend downloaded some songs from Apple, I think. He couldn't
upload the songs from a CD/DVD that he created to his Ipod( or maybe
Rio) harddrive based MP3 player. He brought it over to my PC, a
ancient
Dell 866PIII runng @in98SE without IE and my PC doesn't have MS
Media Player. I had no trouble uplading it from my PC to his MP3
player.
But I have been warned that very soon that new DRM media will not
be accesable on my PC unless I upgrade to Media Player 9.x.

The latest version of software for my Chiba will not load on my 98SE or

ME PCs. I am informed I need to updgrade to XP. That will be a cold day

in HELL.

LongHorn, the new and greater MS OS, has much better DRM control
built in. I suspect the new version of OSX has "enhanced" DRM control.
HDTV will have a bit to allow or disallow recording.

But the smart boys in the dark backrooms are working overtime for
cracks
to defeat the DRM BS. You will be able to listen/watch anything you
want,=20
but will become a criminal.=20

Terry

Old April 17th 05, 02:19 AM

Dr.Artaud,, don't choo worry.Them fed govt *******s will code anything
so us po *******s can even pick it up on our tv sets and all of our
radios.(Ministry of Propaganda) Metinks I am going to some Chat Universe
chatrooms now and raise hell with some of them crazy wimmins in
there,now.
cuhulin

Old April 18th 05, 12:08 AM
Ian Smith

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Ian Smith wrote:

As long as the digital sound has to be converted to analogue
(for
speakers, heaphones etc.), there will always be some way of
circumventing digital protection without using "special" software,
even if it means a slight degradation of sound quality in the
process.
Until they come up with digital receiver implants in our
brains,
that is......

Of course, they could make music so cheap and available, it's
not
worth pirating.

They are taking another approach. They are releasing music so bad
you wouldn't take it if it was free.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Lol! Thanks for that. :-)

Old April 18th 05, 04:13 AM
Michael A. Terrell

Ian Smith wrote:

Lol! Thanks for that. :-)

I have only bought one new release CD that was recorded in the last
ten years. I'm listening to WSM out of NAshville right now to their
weekly Bluegrass show and I try to spend every saturday morning
listening to their great collection of old country music on their
"Classic Saturdays" program.

BTW, the CD was the sound track from "Oh Brother" It was a top
selling country music CD, even though it got zero promotion from the
label. They said, "No one listens to that old music anymore." It shows
what a bunch of pimply faced MTV brainwashed MBAs knows about running
the music industry.

Old April 18th 05, 07:42 PM
Ian Smith

Ian Smith wrote:

[...]

My musical tastes differ somewhat from yours, but I hear where
you're coming from!

My Soapbox Burr Shortwave 88 March 28th 05 12:30 PM
More "Soapbox" Letter from other group!!!! Burr Shortwave 1 March 26th 05 03:21 AM