Old April 15th 05, 05:02 AM

I suggest the small RadioShack 12-803 Multi-Band radio, if you can find
one. My second choice would be the Grundig FR-200.
Both are somewhat durable in construction. The Grundig 400 is to fragile
and requires 6 penlight batteries to operate.

Roger
SW Michigan

Old April 15th 05, 12:58 PM
David

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:03:07 -0700, Sherman wrote:

My friend's brother is going into the US armed forces, probably to the
wars. What's the best radio to give as a goodbye present? Not too
expensive but a good soldier's radio.

http://www.worldspaceradios.co.uk/ac...al_Offers.html

Old April 16th 05, 01:41 AM
Conan Ford

Sherman wrote in newsh4u51hj8oj4spi81nsq72oohkh0l2vkeu@
4ax.com:

My friend's brother is going into the US armed forces, probably to the
wars. What's the best radio to give as a goodbye present? Not too
expensive but a good soldier's radio.

Consider that there is probably a lot of radio interference in Iraq, with a
lot of encrypted, military broad spectrum HF traffic. Now, you don't want
a crap radio in this situation, like a Sharper Image radio or some piece of
**** radio from Radio Shack for $20. You're going to want a dual
conversion radio, like the Sony ICF-7600GR or Yachtboy YB-400PE. I have a
Degen 1103 myself, it is a decent radio, but it is also finacky. I would
not want to have to use it out in the desert, with dust getting into the
battery compartment when I have to open it to pull the batteries for a
reset. I would recommend the Sony ICF-7600GR as it and the Yachtboy are
about the same, but the Sony also has Synchronous lock on AM signals. If
you must, get the Yachtboy YB-400PE (Eton G4000A is the same) but don't go
lower than that.
Old April 16th 05, 02:29 AM
Li Changchun

Have the gang pitch in and spend the extra dough for the Sony SW-100S. It
is the smallest and best pocket radio AND with a sych-detector as well as
SSB.
Uses 2 AA batteries.

This is what Passport said about the SW100 - "Don't leave Langley without
it!"

3.159...

Old April 16th 05, 01:55 PM
Li Changchun

Alternatively for around $80 I would consider the Sony ICF-SW35. Very easy
to operate, good audio, very good on batteries and operates well in
saturated radio signal environments.

Old April 16th 05, 05:09 AM

I used to carry a little Zenith AM shirt pocket radio around with me in
my shirt pocket when I was in the Army at Scott Air Force Base,Illinois
and Fort Knox,Kentucky.I used to listen to WHAS out of
Louisville,Kentucky and KXOK out of St.Louis.(KKKXOKKKKKKKKKK in
St.Louuuu,,,,isss,any of y'all old enough to remember that?) And in
Vietnam I listened to Armed Forces Radio out of Saigon and some
Vietnamese radio stations,I used to get night time Guard Duty in Vietnam
and I always had my little radio in my shirt pocket.And at Fort
Hood,Texas,I don't remember the call letters of that radio station in
Killeen that I used to listen to.
cuhulin

Old April 16th 05, 05:31 AM
D. Martin

I haven't owned a wind-up, or solar powered radio. I'm in no position
to have an opinion on them. If one exists, with "true" digital tuning,
it would probably be worth having. Darren

Old April 16th 05, 05:13 AM

KWK out of St.Louis was another good radio station I sometimes listened
to.Are you a KWK Good Guy!
cuhulin

Old April 16th 05, 04:40 PM

I used to listen to Jim White on his radio talk show out of KMOX
St.Louis every night untill he retired a few years ago.KMOX comes in
pretty good here in Jackson,Mississippi at night times.Of course since
St.Louis is about 500 miles North of Jackson,I can't pick up KMOX
(KMOX,the Voice of St.Louis) at all in the day light hours.I like
St.Louis,when I was in the Army at Scott Air Force Base,Illinois in
1963,I had a girlfriend who lived in Kirkwood,Missouri,near St.Louis.
cuhulin