Old April 16th 05, 04:30 PM
John S.

The 1103 handles ssb in the same way the 1102 does. It works and is
quite stable on the DE1103.

The DE1102 is missing some of the shortwave band, the swath below 3.x
mhz, and it uses three batteries rather than four.

Old April 17th 05, 03:58 AM
Stinger

"Ryan Logan" wrote in message
ocaldomain...
Can anyone suggest a good, powerful, relatively small, battery operated
shortwave radio? I have a Sony ICS-SW20 right now but some frequencies
that I find are not on the dial. I was looking at the Grundig Yacht Boy
400PE. Anyone have one of those or can anyone say something about it?
Also, can someone recommend some interesting/good shows that I may be able
to get on the radio I already have?

Thanks in advance.
--Ryan

Ryan,

What's the budget?

The Sony ICF-7600 is a very good value -- better in my opinion than the
Degen 1103, because it has a synch detector (something lacking even on
high-end Sangeans). It'll set you back about $160 bucks by the time you get
it shipped. It's a good starter radio, except it does not have a tuning
knob.

In the sub-$100 range, there are a lot of rebranded Chinese radios, of which
the Degen 1103 is the best.

If you can spend upwards to $300, you should look for either a used Sony
2010, Sony SW77, Sony SW07 (ultimate micro-portable), a modified Sangean
ATS-909, or a used Grundig Satelit 800 (but it's only "portable" in the
sense that a large suitcase is portable).

-- Stinger

Old April 17th 05, 03:59 AM
Conan Ford

Ryan Logan wrote in
ocaldomain:

I had concidered the ICF-7600GR but I like the YB's non-absence of a
tuning wheel. I also really like the Grundig Satellit-800, but alas I
don't have 500$ to spend, and it's not as compact as I wanted. Any
other suggestions you guys may have? I also was thinking it would be
cool if maybe it had a microcassette recorder or the like so I could
listen later.

The YB-400PE has no tuning wheel either. That wheel you see is the fine-
tune for SSB, which the ICF-SW7600GR also has. The only radio in this
class with a tuning wheel for general tuning is the Sangean ATS-909, but it
has no synchronous lock on AM.
Old April 17th 05, 04:13 AM

Stay the hell away from anything and everything Sangean.Do NOT! buy
anything from www.ccrane.com
cuhulin

Old April 17th 05, 03:44 PM
Li Changchun

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:50:26 -0700, running dogg wrote:

Actually, most of the anger against the Commies is in the countryside
from what I've heard, not in the cities where the demonstrations have
been happening. The cityfolk are doing relatively well under capitalism,
and people who aren't hungry and broke are less likely to rebel. Face
reality, Li-the CCP isn't going anywhere, and as long as they keep their
populace fed they won't.

CCP Tries to Inspire Loyalty as Withdrawals Continue

By Riordan Galluccio
The Epoch Times http://www.epochtimes.com/
Apr 16, 2005

The upper levels of government are taking notice as the number of
withdrawals from the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) rapidly approaches the
one million mark.
Since the publication of the "Nine Commentaries on the Communist Party," the
question of membership in the CCP has taken center stage in China's everyday
affairs.

Responding to the erosion of allegiance to the CCP, the government launched
a "Maintaining the Advancements of the Party" campaign in attempts to
re-energize it.
Following a mid-February meeting at the Central Chinese Communist Party
School, top level cadres sent 58 Central Communist Party Monitor Task Force
to cover all of China's provinces. They set out to organize the party cadres
in every city, to study the CCP charter, and re-pledge the vows they made
when joining the CCP. This has even become headline news in China's
state-run media.

A retired cadre from the Chinese military industry named Mr. Zhang said, "I
heard official notices have been passed down in the nuclear industry and the
committee of defense technology as well as the military industry saying that
people like us, by no means, can be allowed to resign from the CCP, even
though we have already stopped turning in our CCP membership fees. I feel it
is almost like the mafia now. One can enter but cannot exit-it is just like
an underground mafia."

Throughout the country the government is encouraging its members to pledge
their loyalty all over again in response to the "tuidang," Chinese for
"withdrawal." As the resignations continue unabated it is reported that
party officials have even gone so far as to force invalids and sick
individuals to step forward and reaffirm their loyalty.

One official party researcher said, "Perhaps it is true that those of us who
work in the heart of the CCP know and understand the nature of the CCP most
clearly. currently, my colleagues and I just regard this so-called
'Maintaining the Advancement' as purely a 'show and joke; done in a very
serious way'."

The rallying cries to "re-invest" in the CCP's ideology appear not to be
stemming the tide of resignations.

A typical withdrawal statement: "Today, despite risk to my personal safety,
I want to declare my withdrawal from the Communist Youth League."

Another, from a police officer: "I've perceived the various evil deeds
committed by the CCP and its regime, with no desire to wallow in the mire
with it. After reading the 'Nine Commentaries on the Communist Party,' I
suddenly became enlightened in my heart. Therefore, I declare my resignation
from the Chinese Communist Party, the Communist Youth League and the
Communist Young Pioneers."

Those resigning from the CCP want others to know that they are resigning.
The published statements sometimes include telephone numbers. Statements are
posted in public places, such as the red notice pasted on a wall in Jilin as
reported last week. The tide continues to rise.

http://english.epochtimes.com/news/5-4-16/27925.html

Old April 17th 05, 05:21 PM

There Should be BIG RIOTS ALL OVER CHINA ALL DAY LONG AND ALL NIGHT LONG
EVERY DAY AND NIGHT 24 HOURS A DAY AND NIGHT.THAT IS THE ONLY!!! WAY THE
CHINESE CAN WIN!!! AGAINS'T THE CHINESE GOVT.WAR IN THE CHINESE STREETS
ALL THE TIME!!!
cuhulin