Old April 18th 05, 05:28 AM

About five years or more ago,I was checking out www.lightningstorm.com
and one of the links in that website was about two or three models of
electronic advanced lightning warning devices.I think one of the lnks
said the devices can give about one minute of advanced lightning strike
warning.I guess a search on the internet might turn up some information
about those devices.I think I remember they are pretty pricey
though.Unless the prices on them have come down.
cuhulin

Old April 18th 05, 05:51 AM

m II,I just now put YOU on my Ignore the ****ING HELL out of YOU! ****
List,right there with honus and patrick.I will NOT read anything your
Stupid ass has to say from now on! GO **** yourself!
cuhulin

Old April 18th 05, 06:49 AM
Honus

wrote in message
m II,I just now put YOU on my Ignore the ****ING HELL out of YOU! ****
List,right there with honus and patrick.I will NOT read anything your
Stupid ass has to say from now on! GO **** yourself!

Welcome to the club, Mike. Took ya long enough.

Old April 19th 05, 03:39 AM
Jack Painter

"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote

I have been perusing the information on Lightning Protection in the link
that you provided. As a side issue, have you studied CAT III Voltmeter
protection? http://www.ecmweb.com/mag/electric_m...afety_measure/

Arc-flash and arc-blast prevention/safety measure rules have been a big
focus of training programs lately. Guards were installed around many
equipments that have the capabiity to generate arcing, and you can't walk
near HV equipment areas without face shield, etc now. I personally have an
old Beckman Industrial 320B digital multimeter which only has the safety of
it's operator's care behind it ;-) For my use at 240v or less at home
that's fine for me.

Also, being too tired to digest much more information, and having saved
the information from your posts, have you ever see this antenna, any
comments that you have would be appreciated?
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...wire/4075.html

As usual, reading the reviews on EHAM, several were positive, a couple
were absolutely negative. It's an end fed antenna that they represent as
needing a 25 foot central rise. The reviews seem to talk about
counterpoise, though the drawing at the link above seems to be suggesting
that the central pillar is the counterpoise, I would guess that it is a
network of wires needed to be buried. The 2 legs are 55 feet, to the rise
that is, and one of the reviews complained that the actual overall length
was longer than advertised.

"Also they're saying it only takes 88 feet of space is flat out wrong. If
you do simple math it will tell you 97 feet with the 25 foot support. I
put mine up to 30 feet and it takes up 92 feet overall."

Lastly, I would guess that people should not be exposed to the antenna
when transmitting.

Alas this would still put me back into the need of a vertical antenna for
transmitting with sufficient rise above the yard for safety.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1550

Nevertheless, I am still seeking to improve my receiving antenna for SWL
with the addition of lightning protection.

Thanks again,

Dr. Artaud

As long as a 100-200w ERP antenna is not within about 10 feet of where
people can linger, and it will not be touched, you should be fine. I had to
run a safety data sheet for a 1kw, and post signs in case some numbskull
climbs over my yard fence, but there was no personnel hazard from radiation
beyond 10' of the antennas. The feedpoint on an end-fed antenna has
dangerous voltages present during transmitting. Making sure no person or
animal comes near that during transmitting is your responsibility.

B&W has a reputation for some pretty good but pretty expensive antennas.
Realize that their antenna seem to favor Automatic Link Establishment (ALE)
systems. The military equivalents B&W are copying are all Near Vertical
Incident Skywave (NVIS) antennas. Also known as "cloud-warmers" because they
shower radiation down over a 200 mile area from launching nearly straight
up. So B&W's claims of low radiation angles in the lower bands sounds like a
contradiction, especially from such a short antenna for 160 meters. Possibly
eats 80% of the power input but after all, some hams do that from their cars
on 160m. If you can afford the experiment, that B&W might be just the
ticket, and it probably works fairly well where your current license can
take you. Write me off-line when you get ready to tie some coax shield
grounding and station ground rods together, I'll be glad to help.

best regards,

Jack

Old April 19th 05, 04:39 AM
m II

Honus wrote:

wrote in message

m II,I just now put YOU on my Ignore the ****ING HELL out of YOU! ****
List,right there with honus and patrick.I will NOT read anything your
Stupid ass has to say from now on! GO **** yourself!

Welcome to the club, Mike. Took ya long enough.

The air is very rarified here...and what an eclectic mix of personalities. I
feel as though a great burden has been lifted from my shoulders as my mortality
melts into a mere memory. Alliteratively speaking, of course.

Are there regular meetings? Will there be girls bringing cookies and lemonade?
This is fun..

michael

Old April 19th 05, 05:48 AM
Honus

"m II" wrote in message
Honus wrote:

wrote in message

m II,I just now put YOU on my Ignore the ****ING HELL out of YOU! ****
List,right there with honus and patrick.I will NOT read anything your
Stupid ass has to say from now on! GO **** yourself!

Welcome to the club, Mike. Took ya long enough.

The air is very rarified here...and what an eclectic mix of personalities.

I'm a little worried. Is Al Patrick the other member?

feel as though a great burden has been lifted from my shoulders as my

mortality
melts into a mere memory. Alliteratively speaking, of course.

Let's stay on topic, shall we? Back to cuhulin: The pervert's puny pecker
porked a pretty pudgy Pekingese.

Are there regular meetings? Will there be girls bringing cookies and

lemonade?

They're women, they're beautiful, and they're topless. The lemonade is, of
course, spiked. The joke's on cuhulin.

This is fun..

Wait until you get your first bill for monthly dues.

Old April 19th 05, 12:05 PM
dxAce

Jack Painter wrote:

"dxAce" wrote
But I'm still waiting for the fellow who supposedly has a Coast Guard

setup in
his home to say something on 8983!

By the way... I checked it out (months ago) ... and as far as I can

determine
they've never heard of him. But perhaps he might provide something a bit

more
definitive.

Ace, we once had pleasant conversations, and I enjoyed talking with you
then. Too bad you have now degenerated through no provocation from me into
someone I don't know, and don't want to know either. But since you made a
personal attack on my credibility, I will respond so you can "look up"
whatever you want to. I get logged every so often on the WUN list and
others, and here are a few excerpts from WUN that you can look up yourself
in the archives:

Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 19:58:50 -0500
Subject: [WUN] Recent SSB Logs from Ohio

12-2-03
5696.0 Coast Guard Auxiliary Oceania Radio 2332 USB wkg
Coast Guard 2109 for flight op's relay to CAMSLANT.
Later assumes radio guard after checking with CAMSLANT.
CAMSLANT at 2335 clg the 2218 and 1706.

Date: Wed Sep 1, 2004 10:12 pm
Subject: HF Logs 1 September 04

1348Z 8983.0 OCEANA RADIO wkg CG 2136 (HU-25, ATC Mobile) for relay to
CAMSLANT regarding 406 EPIRB search

30 September 04

8983 Oceana Radio calls CG 2128 (HU-25A) for position report Flight ops
normal talk to you again it 30 mins USB 1950 (30Sept04) (CC)

Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2004 10:14 PM
Subject: [cothen] HF ALE/Voice 3 October 04

1505Z 8983.0 OCEANA RADIO taking ops and position report from
CG 2140 for relay to CAMSLANT

Date: 3\23\05
8983 CG2121 rep flt-ops normal to CAMSLANT at 2123, at 2133 CG2121 req
CAMSLANT secure guard.
OCEANA RADIO req Q8V report destination, mission & POB at 2158

Those are just a sampling that I noticed getting logged by UTE hobbyists.

For safety of life issues during working MAYDAY cases on 2182 Khz, I have
posted information to enable certain hobbyists to follow the traffic, in the
hopes that if communications were lost, as can happen on SAR cases,
listening stations would be able to provide assistance via telephone to
their nearest USCG Group.

Jack Painter
Communications Officer
USCG Auxiliary Fifth District Division 5
Port of Hampton Roads, Virginia 757-464-1007
Auxiliary Liaison Officer to USCG CAMSLANT CHESAPEAKE
http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/ground0.htm
Lightning Protection website for USCG OCEANA RADIO

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Oceana Radio located at NAS Oceana?

Old April 19th 05, 08:08 PM
RHF

Dr Artaud & DX Ace,

NEC Section 810 Online? Jim Miller Antenna 10 April 8th 05 06:14 AM
Single ground Bill Ogden Antenna 26 November 25th 04 03:47 AM
Lightning Strikes Boat Anchor morris.verlander Boatanchors 1 June 13th 04 02:26 AM
Balun Grounding Question ? John Doty Shortwave 4 November 25th 03 12:29 PM
Antenna mount Jason Wagner Scanner 12 August 12th 03 09:02 AM