RadioBanter

-   -   Antenna Suggestions and Lightning Protection (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/69091-antenna-suggestions-lightning-protection.html)

[email protected] April 26th 05 05:01 AM

If it is stormy weather,my opinion is that it is always best to unplug
expensive electronic equipment anyway.For computers,it is best to have a
good battery back up system.Better safe than sorry.
cuhulin

RHF April 26th 05 04:14 PM

For One and All,
[ Just My Two Cents Worth ]

1=2E The "Classic" [Flat] Dipole Antenna :
Starting with the Classic Center-Fed Half Wave Dipole Antenna.
It is Rigged (Laid-Out) Flat (180*) with three support points
of about equal Height. It is mounted at a Half Wave Length
above ground level. It is designed for a specific frequency
band and offers a generally bi-directional reception pattern
for that frequency band.
=2E
2=2E The Inverted "V" Antenna :
{ Semi-Vertical Dipole }
Next we have a Center-Fed Half Wave Dipole Antenna that is
NOT Rigged (Laid-Out) Flat (180*) with three support points
of about equal Height.
? WHY ?
- We do not have the ground space (length) for a Flat Dipole.
- We do not have three "Equally" High support points.
- - Both of the above.
- We want some of the features of a Dipole (balanced and
symmetric); but we want a broader frequency range and a
more omni-directional reception pattern.
Thus the Dipole takes on a Vertical Dimension and is called
an Inverted "V" Antenna. Usually this designation applies
when the Tips of the Inverted "V" are 15* or more below the
Horizontal with the Apex Angle is 150* or less.
The 'classic' Image of an Inverted "V" Antenna shows the
Tips at 30* with an Apex Angle of 120*.
The 'classic' Inverted "V" Antenna with an Apex Angle of
120* takes up 13% less ground space; has a relative 50%
Vertical Dimension; and the Horizontal Dimension is reduced
to 87%. If the Center Mounting Point is set at a Half Wave
Length (1/2 WL) Above-Ground-Level (AGL) then the Tips
would be 1/4 WL-AGL.
=2E
3=2E The Horizontal "V" Antenna :
{ Bent "Corner" Horizontal Dipole }
Next we have a Center-Fed Half Wave Dipole Antenna that
IS Rigged (Laid-Out) Flat (180*) with three support points
of about 'equal' Height. But we can not Rig it to run
Straight-in-a-Line.
? WHY ?
- We do not have the ground space (length) for a
Straight-as-a-Line Dipole.
- This is a Dipole using the available space.
- This is a Dipole using the available structures.
Thus the Dipole takes on a Bent Horizontal Dimension and is
called a Horizontal "V" Antenna or more properly a "Corner"
Dipole Antenna. Usually this designation applies when the
Tips of the "V" are at 90* to each other and both are
"Equally" High AGL. The Horizontal Apex Angle of this Bent
Flat Dipole can be 150*, 120* or 90* and some times less.
The 'classic' Image of an "Corner" Dipole Antenna shows
the Tips are Perpendicular (90*) to each other; with an Apex
Angle of 90*. Erected with one Horizontal Arm of the Dipole
running along one property line and the other Horizontal Arm
of the Dipole running along an adjacent property line from tree
to tree to tree. The reception pattern of this Bent "Corner"
Horizontal Dipole is 'focused' in the direction of The-Front of
the Apex (Corner) and 'dispersed' Off-the-Back of the Apex.
=2E
4=2E The Tilted Dipole Antenna :
{ One Tip Up and One Tip Down }
Here is a Dipole that is Tilted at an Angle with One Tip Up
and One Tip Down. It is still a Center-Fed Half Wave Dipole
Antenna. It is Rigged (Laid-Out) Tilled {Not Flat] with
One End support point Higher then the Center and the other
End support point Lower then the Center.
?WHY ?
- This is a Dipole using the available structures.
- This is a Dipole using the available space.
Usually this is because there is One Tall Support Point to
Rig One End of the Dipole; and the other End is angled toward
ground level. The Center Point of the Dipole can be set at
a Half Wave Length AGL; or the Higher End Tip can be set
at a Half Wave Length AGL; most often this is an available
space/structure Antenna with the Higher End Tip Rigged to
the Highest Structure Available an then simply 'angled' down
toward the ground or some other lower structure.
Tilted Dipoles by-design may have the Apex Angle (Slope)
set at 60* or 45*; but most often the "Tilt" is 'whatever' the
available space and structures allow.
The 'classic' Image of an "Tilted" Dipole Antenna shows
One Tip Up and One Tip Down with a Slope of 45* and the
Bottom Tip near ground level. The usable frequency of
this Tilted Dipole Antenna is claimed to be more broad
banded then the classic Flat Dipole; as a result of the
Tilted Dipole Antenna's variable distance (WL) from ground
level. The reception pattern is claimed to be omni-directional;
but the pattern may vary with frequency up and down the bands.
NOTE - The this Tilted Dipole Antenna is usually 'morphed'
into the more common Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole Antenna
(T2FD) for the later's greater broad banded characteristics.
=2E
=2E
iane ~ RHF
=2E
All are WELCOME and "Invited to Join" the
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna eGroup on YAHOO !
=2E
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
=2E
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond, The BEYOND !
With a Shortwave Listener SWL Antenna of your own making.
"If You Build It {SWL Antenna} You Will Hear Them !"