Old April 21st 05, 09:23 PM
SR

Default Where are the Caribbean Radio Stations???

I notice that the only Caribbean station I could pick up is Radio Havana
Cuba. Their seem to be no other Caribbean station on shortwave radio on
the air or listed in MT mag.

To name a few, I am looking for Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Haiti, Dominican
Republic, and Trinidad.

Doesn't evey country in the whole world has a least one shortwave station?

73, SR!
Old April 22nd 05, 02:54 AM
running dogg

Jim wrote:

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:23:08 +0100, SR wrote:

I notice that the only Caribbean station I could pick up is Radio Havana
Cuba. Their seem to be no other Caribbean station on shortwave radio on
the air or listed in MT mag.

To name a few, I am looking for Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Haiti, Dominican
Republic, and Trinidad.

Doesn't evey country in the whole world has a least one shortwave station?

Perhaps they used to - 20, 30, 40 years ago. This is the 21st
century now. More countries are dropping shortwave every year.

Although, I don't remember those countries *ever* having a shortwave
station.

Haiti used to be on SW, I think it was 4VEH or 4VEJ. But they haven't
been heard on SW in over 20 years, I figure their tx went bad and since
Haiti is so poor they never could replace it. Puerto Rico never had
domestic SW, but did have an AFRTS outlet at the Roosevelt Roads base,
however that was moved to Key West. As for the rest, they've never had
SW stations that I know about. Cuba has some interesting broadcasts,
they play a lot of Caribbean jazz and other Caribbean music, but don't
expect local Caribbean news from them, their English broadcasts are
mostly long (and long winded) criticisms of the US. You may try the
BBCWS Caribbean Service for local Caribbean news, I believe they're on
5975 khz between 2200-0100 UTC.

Old April 22nd 05, 10:13 AM
dxAce

SR wrote:

I notice that the only Caribbean station I could pick up is Radio Havana
Cuba. Their seem to be no other Caribbean station on shortwave radio on
the air or listed in MT mag.

To name a few, I am looking for Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Haiti, Dominican
Republic, and Trinidad.

Jamaica has long been off, PR went off recently with the apparent closure of
AFN, though it could come back. Haiti has been off for a number of years now.
The Dominican Republic has been on fairly recently and may still be though it is
not reported very often. Trinidad went off around 1958 or so, unfortunately.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old April 22nd 05, 12:53 PM
Tony Meloche

dxAce wrote:

SR wrote:

I notice that the only Caribbean station I could pick up is Radio Havana
Cuba. Their seem to be no other Caribbean station on shortwave radio on
the air or listed in MT mag.

To name a few, I am looking for Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Haiti, Dominican
Republic, and Trinidad.

Jamaica has long been off, PR went off recently with the apparent closure of
AFN, though it could come back. Haiti has been off for a number of years now.
The Dominican Republic has been on fairly recently and may still be though it is
not reported very often. Trinidad went off around 1958 or so, unfortunately.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

In December 2003/January 2004, for about a month I was able to raise
Radio Cima D.R. almost every night on 4960 kHz, and most nights it was
listenable. Since January of 2004, I have not been able to log them,
though as I understand it, they are still on the air.

Tony

Old April 22nd 05, 01:03 PM

I love the caribbean,I went there in the sixties and it was great,I wish
I could go back,I hate the USA.This country is so far up its own ass,it
aint what it used to be.All the other countries hate us and we still think
we're the best.We suck.still we got good dog porn.Anyone else got
a hankerin' for a kielbasa??
cuhulin

Old April 22nd 05, 02:30 PM
Greg

Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:03:17 +0100
Subject: Where are the Caribbean Radio Stations???

I love the caribbean,I went there in the sixties and it was great,I wish
I could go back,I hate the USA.This country is so far up its own ass,it
aint what it used to be.All the other countries hate us and we still think
we're the best.We suck.still we got good dog porn.Anyone else got
a hankerin' for a kielbasa??
cuhulin

It's doubtful that this is really our Cuhu. The real one loves this country
and probably can't spell kielbasa.

Greg

Old April 22nd 05, 04:21 PM
dxAce

SR wrote:

I notice that the only Caribbean station I could pick up is Radio Havana
Cuba. Their seem to be no other Caribbean station on shortwave radio on
the air or listed in MT mag.

To name a few, I am looking for Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Haiti, Dominican
Republic, and Trinidad.

I checked with Chuck Bolland in Florida about the Dominican Republic, here is
his reply:

"Yes, The Dominican Republic is on shortwave still. I believe they are on
5009.75 (Radio Cristal) and 6039.42 (Radio Amanecer), I am not sure it the are
active daily since I don't listen that often, but they are up periodically."

You might also wish to check:

http://www.sover.net/~hackmohr/sw.htm

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Drake R7, R8, R8A and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old April 22nd 05, 04:58 PM
bpnjensen

I don't have my logs with me just now, but R. Amanacer was heard by
this listener in California at least once over the last winter season.
Easy signal and ID as I recall, in Spanish.

Bruce Jensen