Old April 23rd 05, 04:13 PM
dxAce

Default Voice of Russia

Voice of Russia (darn, I still wish they'd go back to the Radio Moscow moniker),
heard here at 1500 in English on 15455.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old April 23rd 05, 05:22 PM
Michael

"dxAce" wrote in message
Voice of Russia (darn, I still wish they'd go back to the Radio Moscow
moniker),
heard here at 1500 in English on 15455.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

I know what you mean. I remember the cold war days on shortwave. That was
before the internet and satellite were available to the general public.
Shortwave was "it". I used to love listening to the Soviet propaganda on
Radio Moscow in the late 70's and early 80's. I got my first sw radio back
in 1978 when I was 12 and I came across Radio Moscow in English. It was
total garbage, but I loved it. Those were great days for SWL. In addition to
the heavy propaganda stuff, they also still had some good cultural and
scientific content on Radio Moscow. It was actually a good experience to be
able to listen to that sort of stuff when I was younger. For the most part,
it was an early lesson that things aren't always black and white as far as
the "good guy vs. bad guy" thing goes. I think that is almost always the
result that heavy handed and gaudy propaganda has on most people. It is
conspicuous to the point of being its own indictment. Radio Moscow was
clearly a tool of an oppressive post Stalinist state that the world should
be glad to be rid of. At the same time though, exposure to other content
aside from the propaganda was a good thing to have at that time to keep
things square and level apart from the "Red Menace" portrayal in western
media sources. You'd think every Russian actually loved communism, the KGB
and censorship of their speech and media. In short, I wanted the government
to go under, but by no means did I want to see the people go up in a big
mushroom cloud.

Still.... I really miss that gaudy Soviet propaganda. Ahhhh... Those were
the golden days of shortwave listening.

Michael

Old April 24th 05, 01:51 AM
Greg

From: "Michael"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:22:03 -0400
Subject: Voice of Russia

"dxAce" wrote in message
[...]

"This is Radio Moscow". That was kinda skeerey when I was a kid.

Greg

Old April 24th 05, 01:58 AM
Michael

Try these...

1300-1400 : 4405, 9325, 7570, 11710,12015

1500-1600: 3560, 4405, 7570, 9335

I've heard it a few times during the 1300 -1400 slot. I havent listened for
it recently, though. When I did hear it, they constantly mention the
"glorious leader, KJI".

Michael

"Night Owl" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:22:03 -0400, "Michael"
wrote the following in rec.radio.shortwave:

[...]

Still.... I really miss that gaudy Soviet propaganda. Ahhhh... Those were
the golden days of shortwave listening.

Speaking of propaganda, is it possible to pick up Radio Pyongyang or
other North Korean stations from the US?

Back in the late 70's and early 80's I was stationed in Korea, and we
used to love to listen to the propaganda broadcasts form the North.
They used to call us "the running dogs of capitalist imperialism" so
many times we lost count!

Old April 24th 05, 03:57 AM
running dogg

Michael wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message
[...]

Anybody remember the "Radio Moscow World Service"? After the BBC spun
off SW operations as the "BBC World Service" the nomenklatura at Radio
Moscow decided that "World Service" was a nifty name that the main radio
station of the Soviet state should have, and voila "Radio Moscow World
Service" was born. After the fall of the Soviet Union the "World
Service" was dropped, but the BBC World Service still endures, at least
for now.

Old April 24th 05, 05:34 AM
dxAce

running dogg wrote:

Michael wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message
[...]

No, not at all, 'tard boy, never heard of it.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old April 24th 05, 12:36 PM
Jason

I have to say Michael, I read your story with a tinge of jealousy.

I've been listening for around 10 years, but more intently in the last 4.

What i'd give to have been around to listen to to the SW Broadcast of the
70's and 80's. Still I have many good memories. (I nearly cried when I
tuned into the Linconshire Poacher for the first time. ((But thats only
because I was using a crap radio.)) And I still enjoy stations like Radio
Prague, Voice of Russia etc.

SW Broadcasts are starting to verge on the nostalgic side of modern
communications, in the first world countries especially. I do hope it
doesn't fade into obscurity.

Theres definately a future in the up and coming countries, and it may be
intersting to listen to what broadcasts come from these.

jason

Old April 24th 05, 01:35 PM
Michael

"Jason" wrote in message
I have to say Michael, I read your story with a tinge of jealousy.

I've been listening for around 10 years, but more intently in the last 4.

What i'd give to have been around to listen to to the SW Broadcast of the
70's and 80's. Still I have many good memories. (I nearly cried when I
tuned into the Linconshire Poacher for the first time. ((But thats only
because I was using a crap radio.)) And I still enjoy stations like Radio
Prague, Voice of Russia etc.

SW Broadcasts are starting to verge on the nostalgic side of modern
communications, in the first world countries especially. I do hope it
doesn't fade into obscurity.

Theres definately a future in the up and coming countries, and it may be
intersting to listen to what broadcasts come from these.

jason

Indeed, Jason... There always seems to be interesting things popping up here
and there. Though, for farcical entertainment value, the domestic
"conspiracy kookologists" cant be beat.

Michael

Old April 24th 05, 02:18 PM

Them russky wimmins have bad teeth too.Hey,I know a lady (via emailing)
in the San Francisco area.Her father hooked up with a russky woman about
three years ago.OK,it was nearly Christmas time about three years ago
and the russky woman was having problems about getting over here to
U.S.A.but finally she did.When she got to San Francisco,after a short
while,she changed her mind about him and she went back to russkyland.I
am cuhulin and I never lie.
cuhulin

Old April 24th 05, 02:29 PM

I have been listening to Shortwave Radio since the early 1950's.I tune
around and find whatever interest me.I don't listen everyday and I never
listen to kooks,only a few times a week do I listen to Shortwave Radio.I
am more interested in picking up long distance AM radio
stations.Shortwave really is a form of AM.Les Lockyear in
Gulfport,Mississippi sucks dicks and swallows cum.
cuhulin