Old April 27th 05, 11:29 PM
Mike Terry

Default "Shortwave is actually experiencing a resurgence"

Shortwave is actually experiencing a resurgence. It's strange but true, so
what do we base our findings on?

Mainly on the research carried out by the Mighty Merlin Communications, they
that operate transmitters across the World on behalf of the BBC. This is
what they had to say:

"Shortwave radio listeners are growing globally, with shortwave penetration
at its highest in the developing countries. That is not to say that
shortwave is not having an impact in the Western world. Recent surveys
revealed that 97% of regular business travellers listened to international
shortwave." This increase in the shortwave audience, according to Merlin, is
"spelt out dramatically by just one factory in China that is frantically
producing 300,000 shortwave radio sets per month just to support demand.
Grundig in America report growth each year on their sales of shortwave
receivers. There are at least 600 million shortwave radio sets worldwide."

In France, according to a Merlin survey, 70% of households with radio have
access to shortwave. In Slovakia, the figure is 77%. "What is most
interesting," according to Merlin, "is the growth over the last 10 years in
shortwave usage by business travellers, diplomats, aid workers and others
who move about the world as a result of their jobs.

This change has occurred because of the portability of new sets and the
simplicity of their use. Modern synthesized sets, which have the facility of
actually entering the precise frequency number, made shortwave easy for
everyone.

People learned to pre-tune their sets, forgetting about kHz, MHz and
wavebands. The new sets went in pockets, handbags and briefcases. Now sets
weigh as little as 220 grams and are easily available and affordable."

Teledifusion de France, which operates Radio France International's
extensive shortwave transmitter network,
says that "an estimated 2.5 billion people tune in to programmes broadcast
on shortwave, and about a billion receivers pick up shortwave transmissions.
At any given moment, over 200 million receivers are tuned in to shortwave
broadcasts.

Shortwave remains the only means of reaching a broad audience anywhere in
the world, via a simple portable radio that can be bought for around $25.
Listeners include expatriates, business travellers, tourists, or simply
people who want to hear programmes in a language other than their own or who
want to open a new window on the world.

It doesn't matter where you are in the World, with shortwave you can always
be in touch with Europa Radio International and you can't do that with the
Internet or Sky satellite can you? There's always someone who will want to
use the PC or watch the latest episode of the Simpsons. So get yourself a
decent receiver, preferably with digital readout, check out our front page
for the next transmission dates and times and come over and join us, there's
a whole New World to explore.

Write to us c/o PO Box 299, Kent CT5 2YA, UK
E-mail to

http://www.europaradiointernational.co.uk/shortwave.htm

Old April 28th 05, 12:08 AM
Michael

"Mike Terry" wrote in message
[...]

OUTSTANDING POST !!!!!

This is a good reason for me to get a new radio to add to my collection :-)
In addition... I've always felt that sw was the most severely undermarketed
medium out there. Given the economy of sw air time costs, I cant help
thinking how many people out there with a message or a statement to make
would buy air time to put out their content if only they had an idea of how
cheap and easy it is to do so. You'd could have everything from some jearky
guy's sports talk show to garage rock bands airing their music on sw as an
alternative way to have their work heard by lots of people. The inevitable
accompaniment of that increased demand would be more transmitters going up.
Once the public got wind of all these funn exciting and off beat things to
hear, no doubt, listenership would go up. Once again.. I've always been
ASTOUNDED that sw is so underused and undermarketed. I dont get it.

Michael

Old April 28th 05, 01:02 AM
Mark

"Mike Terry" wrote in message

snippety-doo-da
Recent surveys
revealed that 97% of regular business travellers listened to international
shortwave.

Hmm, I'd be suprised if 97% of regular business travllers knew what
shortwave radio was!

Mark.
Auckland
New Zealand.

Old April 28th 05, 03:53 AM
running dogg

Michael wrote:

"Mike Terry" wrote in message
[...]

WRMI sold airtime to practically anybody to say or do practically
anything for $1 a minute five years ago. I don't know if that's still
the case, but in 2000, as an experiment, I emailed WRMI about doing a
thirty minute program every Sunday night. Yes, they had two slots
available, and they were only $30 a week. What a deal! It's too bad that
WBCQ, which was set up to provide exactly the sort of service that
you're talking about, was forced to rely on endless tapes of Bill
Cooper's Hour Of The Time to pay the bills. I should note that virtually
all of the SW station shutdowns have been the result of either a)
services for expats going to the internet, such as the Swiss, or b)
terminally stupid management, such as the BBC, which has made other
extremely dumb decisions (in the BBC's case, slashing popular programs
on UK TV). The VOA is another case of terminal idiocy and overreliance
on FM and satellite. Just wait until a Radio Sawa FM transmitter in Iraq
is captured by insurgents and starts pumping out jihad instead, and
you'll have a lot of suits in DC scratching their heads and wondering
how THAT could happen. And then there's Nepal, where the BBC found that
its precious FM relay was broadcasting government propaganda all of a
sudden. Li, this newsgroup's Commie baiter, posted an article about how
people in Beijing were coughing up mucho yuan (the equivalent of $20) in
order to hear criticism of the CCP on SW. Just wait until they get their
hands on the antijamming antenna.

Old April 28th 05, 05:52 AM
CW

FCC regulations prohibit SW broadcasting to domestic audiences. That has a
lot to do with it.

Old April 28th 05, 06:55 AM

Teledifusion,that is what that lady said on that radio in that hotel
room when I did my five days R&R in Hong Kong,China in 1964.Over four
years ago,I mentioned something about than in an email of mine to that
married Irish woman wayyyyy over yonder across the big pond in Bognor
Regis,England and the next day she emailed me a good explanation of
Teledifusion.I forget most of what she said about it though.Perhaps
someone in this news group will provide an explaination of/about
Teledifusion?
cuhulin

Old April 28th 05, 06:59 AM

Shortwave Radio and Ham Radio and Ham Radio Operators is/are the ONLY!
means of Communication(s)/News if the Big One/Mushroom goes up!,Period!
cuhulin

Old April 28th 05, 07:02 AM

heyyyyy Mark,over there in New Zealand.Tell all of them wimmins over
there old Hansom Larry (that's me,y'all wimmins) Loves them.
cuhulin

Old April 28th 05, 03:31 PM
Frank Dresser

"CW" wrote in message
.net...
FCC regulations prohibit SW broadcasting to domestic audiences. That has a
lot to do with it.

As I understand, the regulations prohibit exclusively broadcasting to
domestic audiences. Incidental broacasting to domestic audiences is
allowed. It doesn't matter much, as the FCC isn't enforcing these
regulations, anyway.

There's a RWonline article which includes this topic:

"All in all, U.S. SW broadcasters operate in a strange, Twilight Zone kind
of world, but one that they relish. Passport's Magne believes that U.S.
shortwave broadcasters enjoy it so much that they don't want the FCC to
loosen its archaic restrictions on domestic shortwave. "

""The truth is that they like it the way it is," he said. "If the rules were
changed, it could open the floodgates to more competition." "

"An unfair accusation? Not according to WRMI's White. "

""We discussed changing the rules at the National Association of Shortwave
Broadcasters' convention a few years ago," he said. "In fact, the FCC asked
for our help in doing so. However, after some discussion, a lot of people
came to Magne's conclusion: that we're all better off just leaving things as
they are. After all, under the current regime, the FCC pretty much leaves us
alone. If the rules were changed, then they might get serious about
enforcing them.""

http://www.rwonline.com/reference-ro...rtwave_2.shtml

Frank Dresser

Old April 28th 05, 03:45 PM
John S.

"Recent surveys revealed that 97% of regular business travellers
listened to international
shortwave."

As much as I would like to believe a statement like that, it does not
represent what I see as a frequent international business traveller.
I see travellers getting their information about the world from
cable/satellite television, newspapers and via the internet. If the
business of shortwave broadcasting is to enticing then why are so many
broadcasters dropping out and why are so few companies producing the
receivers.

Cleverly worded surveys that ask a question like "Have you heard a
shortwave broadcast in the last 12 months" can be perverted to support
whatever conclusion the survey taker want's to make.