Old May 2nd 05, 10:04 PM
jamulc

Default NASWA - North American Shortwave Association

Hello Folks,

I would like to ask, is anyone here a member of NASWA (North
American Shortwave Association)? If so, could you please let us
non-members know a little something about the association? Apart from
the annual SWL Fest held in Pennsylvania, what other activities or
efforts does NASWA sponsor or otherwise involve itself with? How is
the monthly publication, the NASWA Journal, and what types of features
are being presented in the Journal these days? Any ideas as to what
membership trends are like within the organization (e.g., is membership
robust and growing? or is NASWA steadily losing members due to the
explosive growth of web-based "virtual" SWL clubs?)?

I am asking these questions because some years back, I had sent off for
and received a sample copy of the NASWA Journal. It was a nice,
56-page publication, filled with interesting and useful information for
the shortwave broadcast listener. Having recently begun active
shortwave listening once more, I visited the NASWA website a few days
back to see what was new with NASWA and with the intention of possibly
taking up membership in the group. The NASWA website was a bit of a
disappointment, however. While, admittedly, there have been some
changes and updates, overall the website seems not to have changed much
since when I last visited in 2001. Since the NASWA website is likely
the organization's most visible interface with the wider world of
(non-member) SWL enthusiasts, they would do well to provide more
periodic updates to the site, perhaps providing various SWL listening
tips, schedule updates (the excellent SWL Guide on the NASWA site,
sadly, has not been updated since January 2004, it seems), DX news,
recent SWL logs, etc (the sort of stuff that keeps so many of us
returning repeatedly to such sites as radiointel.com and
hard-core-dx.com).

Clearly, there are a lot of dedicated SWL enthusiasts within NASWA
who have contributed much to the hobby of shortwave listening. So,
if anyone here is a member of NASWA, could you please let us know a bit
about the club, what it offers that the web-based SWL communities are
not able to provide, and, simply put, why us non-members should want to
join up?

Thanks!

jamulc

Old May 2nd 05, 10:07 PM
Mike Terry

"North America's oldest shortwave broadcast-only radio club. We have been
active in the business of sharing information about shortwave radio since
1961"

See http://www.anarc.org/naswa/

oups.com...

Old May 2nd 05, 10:23 PM
JerryJ

I've been a member of NASWA since 1981, with a few lapses due to
college, moving, etc. The NASWA Journal (formerly FRENDX) is even of a
higher quality today. The page count is still around 60 pgs/month, more
in the winter due to more DX, perhaps a bit less in the summer due to
noisy conditions. There are always very high quality articles of a
technical and/or historical SW nature.

I'm not sure what the membership is, but it is probably down from the
peak since the number of SWL's has decreased over the years. Don't let
the web site fool you, though -- NASWA is very much alive and kicking.
The web site is a volunteer effort of one very generous DXer, so that
may explain why it hasn't been updated lately.

In addition to the monthly Journal, NASWA members can subscribe to the
free email "flashsheet" which comes out weekly. This is the most
up-to-date bulletin with DX tips only days or sometimes hours old.

NASWA through the Journal provides in-depth information that you are
unlikely to find on the 'net without some searching, and even then you
may never find it. This is supplemented by the flashsheet described
earlier.

As a member you can also apply for NASWA award certificates suitable
for framing based on your DXing achievements (# countries verified in
Africa, etc.) for a very small fee, typically only a few bucks.

U.S. membership is only $26/yr as I recall.

For a list of other SWL-related links, check out
http://www.bluegrassdavinci.com/ Links section. I try to keep it
updated.

Old May 2nd 05, 11:11 PM
dxAce

JerryJ wrote:

[...]

I've been a continuous member since 1982, and it's a nice publication. Hopefully
the website will be updated on a more regular basis.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old May 3rd 05, 12:30 AM
Matt B.

"dxAce" wrote in message
I've been a continuous member since 1982, and it's a nice publication.
Hopefully
the website will be updated on a more regular basis.

Yeah. I'm new to SWLing and had heard others mention NASWA. My first
impression of them was their website which starts out with a request for
"urgent" action by May 3, 2004 (last year)!

Old May 4th 05, 03:44 AM
m II

dxAce wrote:

I've been a continuous member since 1982, and it's a nice publication. Hopefully
the website will be updated on a more regular basis.

Hey, Ace..they're talking about NASWA, **NOT** NAMBLA. Normal people think it's
a perverted organization. You should be ashamed of yourself.

mike
Old May 4th 05, 09:31 AM
dxAce

m II wrote:

dxAce wrote:

I've been a continuous member since 1982, and it's a nice publication. Hopefully
the website will be updated on a more regular basis.

Hey, Ace..they're talking about NASWA, **NOT** NAMBLA. Normal people think it's
a perverted organization. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Why? I'm not from CanaDuh.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 4th 05, 03:32 PM

Been a member for almost 30 years. Still going strong. 800 + members
so the group is still active and always looking for new members
Bob Montgomery

Old May 5th 05, 12:35 AM

I'm glad this question was asked. I've been away from SWLing for a
while due to a move and had to sell my radios. I just bought an old GE
World Monitor to get back into listening until I have my new house
built and set up a good antenna, and this post reminds me that I should
rejoin NASWA again and keep supporting the hobby. I always did enjoy
coming home from work and finding the Journal in the mail. There are
always good technical articles in it, plus looking through the Log
sections and matching up where the DXer is located and what equipment
he or she used gave me a clue as to what was possible for me to hear.

Old May 8th 05, 12:41 PM
dxAce

JerryJ wrote:

[...]

According to the latest Journal (May) membership rates will be going up $3.00
per year, however renewals will be accepted until June 1 at the old rate of
$26.00.

Reason for increase is that printing costs are going up.

dxAce
Michigan
USA