Old May 4th 05, 08:25 PM
dxAce

Default New cland for Gambia April 27-29

Apparently via transmitter in Germany from what I've read.

dxAce wrote:

** GAMBIA [non]. Target: Gambia --- By Nick
Grace April 26, 2005

The Gambia joins the growing list of tyrannies
targeted by opposition radio
broadcasts this week with the launch of a weekly
fifteen-minute news program
produced by Web savvy exiles in the United
States.

The program, which had not been named at press
time, is the latest effort
coordinated by Save the Gambia Democracy Project
(STGDP) to promote press
freedoms, democratic liberties, respect for
human rights, the rule of law and
good governance inside the West African nation.

Test broadcasts, Clandestine Radio Watch (CRW)
has learned, will be conducted
on April 27, 28 and 29 between 2000 and 2015 GMT
on 9430 kHz. The test
broadcasts will contain excerpts of interviews
in the Wollof, English and local
languages for the purpose of testing reception
inside Gambia and will not
contain a station identification. Formal
broadcasts will begin soon thereafter
from an undisclosed transmitter location.

STGDP is a relatively new movement that was
formed on the Gambian Independence
Day, February 18, in 2004 after months of
intense online chatter among exiles
throughout North America. It was formally
launched on the campus of Morehouse
College in Atlanta - Martin Luther King, Jr.'s
alma mater, an irony not lost on
its members.

The group has sought to make a direct impact on
the country's political scene
and successfully brought the fragmented
opposition together under the National
Alliance for Democracy and Development (NADD).
Its efforts, including the new
radio program, are meant to send a signal to the
regime of former Sergeant
Yahya Jemmah that the upcoming elections in
October 2006 will be no cakewalk.

Since taking power in 1994, Jemmah's
consolidation of power has proceeded
against the winds of democratic change sweeping
across the world - and inside
Gambia. Attempts to pass severe restrictions on
the press in 2002 led to mass
outrage and, ultimately, a repeal of the
legislation.

More recent attempts to muzzle the press,
however, have been more successful
and even deadly. What began with arson attacks,
intimidation and threats
finally culminated in the murder of Deyda
Hydara, editor and co-owner of a
private weekly and stringer for
Agence-France-Presse and Reporters San
Frontières.

The U.S. State Department considers such
developments as "shortcomings,"
however, and in 2002 "determined a
democratically elected government had
assumed office" in Banjul and lifted sanctions,
according to its 2005 human
rights report. While engagement is touted as
official policy, none of the
U.S.-funded NGOs run democratization projects or
maintain a presence in Gambia.
The Gambian diaspora finds itself going alone.

The radio program, sources within STGDP tell
CRW, is a grassroots effort
dependent upon the generosity of its supporters
and should be considered a
wake-up call to those in the regime that whether
through print, radio or the
Internet the pulse of freedom cannot be
silenced.

"We are going to be a force to open the people's
eyes," STGDP Spokeswoman Sigga
Jagne told CRW. "We are not bound by the same
sanctions our domestic
journalists face. Through our programs we will
send a message of hope to our
people inside the Gambia that those of us
outside do care and are willing to do
what it takes to bring change."

Save the Gambian Democracy Project can be
reached through its Web site at
http://www.sunugambia.com (Nick Grace C., CRW
April 26 via DXLD, Glenn Hauser, dxld yahoo)

dxAce
Michigan
USA