Old May 10th 05, 07:27 PM
Joel Rubin

Default LPTV station on Channel 6 in NYC

I've seen these on UHF but never on VHF. I saw color bars and heard a
tone Monday evening.

From responses to email sent to Glenn Hauser and usenet postings and
some Googling it is probably Island Broadcasting, WNYZ-LP, on top of
the Citibank (or maybe Citicorp or Citigroup now) building in Long
Island City (Queens). They already have a few stations on UHF. The
programming is probably going to be mostly ethnic.

Old May 11th 05, 12:54 AM
Joel Rubin

Tonight they have an ID on the screen as WNYZ - NY.

Old May 11th 05, 06:37 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Joel Rubin wrote:
I've seen these on UHF but never on VHF. I saw color bars and heard a
tone Monday evening.

They've been legal on VHF for decades. However, they haven't been legal
on channels adjacent to local full-power stations until very recently.
Since every other channel is already in use in NYC by full-power
stations that pretty much made VHF off-limits for LPs there until recently.

We had one on channel 5 in Madison, Wis. back in the early 1980s, and
that was by no means the first.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old May 11th 05, 12:14 PM
HankG

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
Joel Rubin wrote:
I've seen these on UHF but never on VHF. I saw color bars and heard a
tone Monday evening.

They've been legal on VHF for decades. However, they haven't been legal
on channels adjacent to local full-power stations until very recently.
Since every other channel is already in use in NYC by full-power
stations that pretty much made VHF off-limits for LPs there until

recently.

We had one on channel 5 in Madison, Wis. back in the early 1980s, and
that was by no means the first.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66
http://www.w9wi.com

BROADCASTDB Live Radio : Just Added broadcastdb Broadcasting 0 April 7th 05 01:56 AM
Broadcastdb - Live radios and TV database broadcastdb Shortwave 0 April 7th 05 12:58 AM
a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
FS: Palomar 225 Pack Rat CB 12 September 16th 03 06:43 PM
I also need Diy plans for a 300 watt linear BR549 CB 2 September 16th 03 06:37 PM