RadioBanter

-   -   What's a better HF receive-only antenna: MFJ-1024 or a loop? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/70827-whats-better-hf-receive-only-antenna-mfj-1024-loop.html)

[email protected] May 17th 05 08:05 AM

Any 50 ohm cable should do the trick. I'm not even sure how significant
the cable is since the wellbrook amplifies the signal.

You can do all the "paperwork" via email then fax your credit card
number.

The weak dollar policy of the Bushies sucks big time. It makes items
like the Welbrook damn expensive, and there is no other source.

[email protected] May 17th 05 08:11 AM

I went on BLM land and strung up about 200ft of long wire with a
Palomar magnetic balun in the center. I still got better SNR with the
30ft loop on the ALA100, and this is in an environment where there was
little man made noise.

I think too much is made about the strength of a signal versus the
quality. You can alway use a preamp for more gain, but that generally
doesn't make the signal sound any better. Signals sound cleaner on the
loop.

[Reminds me, I have to put that balun on ebay. ;-)]

dxAce May 17th 05 10:44 AM

wrote:

I went on BLM land and strung up about 200ft of long wire with a
Palomar magnetic balun in the center.

Maybe that's why! You might have gotten better results had you put the balun at
the end of the wire.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Joe Analssandrini May 17th 05 04:41 PM

Is 300 feet long enough for you? I had one of that length very briefly
(one year) until it came down in a storm. Then I erected a 100 foot one
(oriented North-South - broadside to East-West) which I used for a
number of years. I was able to secure this length much better. This was
all many years ago when I lived in my parents' house which had a lot of
land.

The Wellbrook is superior, especially in the summer, as it attenuates
atmospheric noise and local electrical noise. The signal-to-noise ratio
it affords is unparalleled.

When I used my 100 foot wire, DXing was difficult in the summertime due
to the noise and static. I believe that most people still have that
problem, as well as greatly increased local electrical noise. Preamps,
of course, do nothing to alleviate any of this.

So yes, I have experience with many different types of antennas, both
passive and active. And note that while I was answering the creator of
this thread who said he had limited space, and I personally now also
have limited space, I firmly believe that, even if I could, I would not
Wellbrook ALA 330S.

It is THAT good!

Best,

Joe

dxAce May 17th 05 04:48 PM

Joe Analssandrini wrote:

[...]

I'll stick with my wires, thanks!

David May 17th 05 04:57 PM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 11:48:42 -0400, dxAce
wrote:

So yes, I have experience with many different types of antennas, both
passive and active. And note that while I was answering the creator of
this thread who said he had limited space, and I personally now also
have limited space, I firmly believe that, even if I could, I would not
Wellbrook ALA 330S.

It is THAT good!

I'll stick with my wires, thanks!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Spoken like a true obstinator...

dxAce May 17th 05 05:02 PM

wrote:

So yes, I have experience with many different types of antennas, both
passive and active. And note that while I was answering the creator of
this thread who said he had limited space, and I personally now also
have limited space, I firmly believe that, even if I could, I would not
Wellbrook ALA 330S.

It is THAT good!

I'll stick with my wires, thanks!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Spoken like a true obstinator...

I'd compare my DX'ing totals with you any old day...

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] May 17th 05 06:35 PM

The palomar balun I have is designed for center feed. It was certainly
used correctly.

dxAce May 17th 05 07:39 PM

wrote:

The palomar balun I have is designed for center feed. It was certainly
used correctly.

Which model? Their MLB-1 could certainly be hooked up at a center point, but in
practice I've never seen anyone use one in that manner.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] May 18th 05 01:27 AM

There is no model number on it, but it's not the MLB-1. In the dark
ages, Palomar made two other magnetic baluns, both bottoming out in
the beacon band. The one I have has three eye bolts: one on the top and
one on each side. You can attach the long wires to the side eye bolts,
that is, they are isolated. A small white wire comes out each side
which is then soldered to the long wire.

The other model had some sort of control box that allowed switching
between a pair of long wires. IIRC, the balun had 3 connections for
long wires. You could pick a pair, which would be in a V shape rather
than a normal dipole. This allowed the antenna to be electrically
rotated (so to speak, since there were only 3 angles).