RadioBanter

-   -   What's a better HF receive-only antenna: MFJ-1024 or a loop? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/70827-whats-better-hf-receive-only-antenna-mfj-1024-loop.html)

[email protected] May 12th 05 04:23 PM

What's a better HF receive-only antenna: MFJ-1024 or a loop?

Hi,

I need broadband (2MHz - 30MHz) receive-only capability. I will be
connecting the antenna to a system that can stare at 10 MHz of RF
spectrum simultaneously. I have very limited space and almost no
antenna experience.

I've been told to look for a loop antenna. I stumbled across the
MFJ-1024 active antenna.

What's the best choice for my application? I want to hear very weak
signals.

I have limited time available to do the install. I'll gladly spend more
money to have less hassle and a greater probability of success.

John

John S. May 12th 05 04:34 PM

A simple wire antenna will do as good a job on the hf frequencies.
Simply run a length of thin wire around the perimeter of the largest
outward facing window and attach to your receiver. Suspend it with
mini suction-cup hooks.

Or, run a length of wire around the perimeter of your listening room.
Just tuck it between the carpet and wall and nobody will be the wiser.

Thin multistrand wire is the best choice, and you can even use really
thin magnet wire for the window antenna.

[email protected] May 12th 05 04:45 PM

The Wellbrook loops are broadband and very quiet. Bring money. I use
the ALA100 and a homemade wire loop. The other models come with loops,
but are less flexible.

Long wires pick up lots of man made noise. I think those vertical whips
plus amp like the MFJ1024 are worse than a long wire.

Jack Painter May 12th 05 06:15 PM

wrote
Hi,

I need broadband (2MHz - 30MHz) receive-only capability. I will be
connecting the antenna to a system that can stare at 10 MHz of RF
spectrum simultaneously. I have very limited space and almost no
antenna experience.

I've been told to look for a loop antenna. I stumbled across the
MFJ-1024 active antenna.

What's the best choice for my application? I want to hear very weak
signals.

I have limited time available to do the install. I'll gladly spend more
money to have less hassle and a greater probability of success.

John

You're going to be at odds between your desires and what "very limited
space" is going to allow in the way of antennas. Unless you can get some
form of antenna away from the dwelling, and even better up in the air, very
weak signals are not in your future. If your listening is going to be on a
portable, a 10' window-area wire works fine, and so does the factory whip,
if you're upstairs, LOL. Loop antennas can be very expensive, costing more
than your radio, or cheap, AM Bcst band loops like Radio Shack occasionally
offers. With what little information you provided, its hard to tell what you
really expect, and what your price range for receivers is, or what you are
using.

Jack

RHF May 12th 05 07:05 PM

John,

Mark S. Holden May 12th 05 07:55 PM

wrote:

Hi,

I need broadband (2MHz - 30MHz) receive-only capability. I will be
connecting the antenna to a system that can stare at 10 MHz of RF
spectrum simultaneously. I have very limited space and almost no
antenna experience.

I've been told to look for a loop antenna. I stumbled across the
MFJ-1024 active antenna.

What's the best choice for my application? I want to hear very weak
signals.

I have limited time available to do the install. I'll gladly spend more
money to have less hassle and a greater probability of success.

John

Hi

I really think we need more information about how you define "limited space" and
how much easy work you're willing to do to give you a good answer.

Active antennas amplify everything they pick up including your neighbors lamp
dimmer, your crt computer monitor and possibly any VCR's you might have. If
you're gonna get one, I suggest installing it away from the house.

If one antenna is 10 feet away from a noise source and one is 5 feet from it,
the farther one will get 4x less noise. Change that to 50 feet and 5 feet and
the farther one gets 100x less noise. (square of the distance)

With modern radios, signal to noise level is almost always more important than
signal strength.

Loop antennas are often designed to be tuned for each frequency. If you're
looking at 10mhz of spectrum all at once, you don't want one with this feature.

An advantage loops have is they don't pick up as much local rfi (noise) as most
other types. Dipole antennas are also relatively immune to local noise.

Someone else mentioned the Wellbrook Loop. It's an active loop. I've never
used one, but they're highly respected, and next time I want a "transportable"
antenna with at least a couple weeks notice I'll probably buy one. (you have to
order them from England) It's probably a "safe" choice, and I'd expect it to
out perform the MFJ because the loop won't pick up as much noise as the whip.

But if you can put 30 or more feet of wire 50 or more feet away from the house
with an impedance matching transformer and run coax underground to the house,
that'll probably work well for you too. It's not rocket science, and folks here
can give you all kinds of tips to get it going quickly.

I have a 60' random wire about 225 feet away from the house. It works
incredibly well. Other than getting the trench put in, (I hired someone for
that) it was a one morning job.

For my vacations and camping radio, I use a broadband active whip made with
milspec components. It works well too - but I use it away from devices that
cause rfi.

Good luck.

Mark

[email protected] May 13th 05 02:35 AM

The nice thing about the Wellbrook ALA100 is you can use it portably as
well. This is a recording I made of the LAX TIS on 530Khz from about
400 miles away
www.lazygranch.com/sound/lax_530_etgravel.wav
This was with the 4ft on the diagonal loop.

Dave Holford May 13th 05 03:09 AM

wrote:

Hi,

I need broadband (2MHz - 30MHz) receive-only capability. I will be
connecting the antenna to a system that can stare at 10 MHz of RF
spectrum simultaneously. I have very limited space and almost no
antenna experience.

I've been told to look for a loop antenna. I stumbled across the
MFJ-1024 active antenna.

What's the best choice for my application? I want to hear very weak
signals.

I have limited time available to do the install. I'll gladly spend more
money to have less hassle and a greater probability of success.

John

Loops are directional, as are dipoles etc.
Do you need coverage just in specific directions, or all around?
Are you looking for all signals or just relatively strong ones - i.e. do
you need to get that 10 watt beacon in Norway?
How noisy is your local RF environment?
Are you restricted to an indoor antenna, close to the radio, or can you
remote it 10 feet, 50 feet?
Do you want to prevent anyone else from knowing? or can you put it up in
public view?

Lots of questions, all of which would help make a choice.
There are some very good active antennas, but the good ones cost good.

Dave

Mark S. Holden May 13th 05 04:22 PM

Dave Holford wrote:
snip
Loops are directional, as are dipoles etc.snip

Wellbrook suggests a rotator for LW and MW on the 1530, but they don't seem to
call for one for HF.

http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/ALA1530.html

[email protected] May 13th 05 06:18 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I have a special wideband (10 MHz) SIGINT radio.

I think I'm going to go for the Wellbrook ALA 300.

Should I sit it on my deck or should I put it up on a mast? My gear is
in my basement.

John

[email protected] May 13th 05 06:20 PM

Sorry, I should have given more information.

I've used a B&W ACS-1.8-30 inverted vee in the past and that is way way
too big. So I need something smaller than that.

I like the size of the Wellbrook ALA 300. I think I'll go with that.

John

Mark Zenier May 14th 05 04:58 AM

In article , Mark S. Holden wrote:
wrote:

Hi,

I need broadband (2MHz - 30MHz) receive-only capability. I will be
connecting the antenna to a system that can stare at 10 MHz of RF
spectrum simultaneously. I have very limited space and almost no
antenna experience.

Active antennas amplify everything they pick up including your neighbors lamp

^^^^^^^^^
dimmer, your crt computer monitor and possibly any VCR's you might have. If

^^^ ^^^^^^^^
you're gonna get one, I suggest installing it away from the house.

Given the description of the receiver, I suspect that the OP wants to
do some Van Eck monitoring. (Remote viewing of computer displays).
With current computer displays better results are probably obtained
in the VHF frequency range. Also, monitors are much better shielded
now than they were when Van Eck wrote his paper, before the FCC cracked
down on computer generated interference.

The only other things I think that bandwidth in that frequency
range would be good for would be hacking BPL, or making a very
high resolution lightning strike detector.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

[email protected] May 16th 05 05:44 PM

Nope. Be able to display a waterfall graph of a 10 MHz wide portion of
HF so as to identify active transmissions/frequencies.

John

Mark Zenier May 16th 05 05:58 PM

In article .com,
wrote:
Nope. Be able to display a waterfall graph of a 10 MHz wide portion of
HF so as to identify active transmissions/frequencies.

Cool. My guess, to match your constraints, would be an amplified untuned
loop. (Probably the Wellbrook if you can afford it).

But I wonder, if there's no narrowband selectivity inside the box,
just how sensitive you can be with that bandwidth. (The Laws of
Physics and all that).

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

[email protected] May 16th 05 08:22 PM

I believe the ability to null goes down as the loop becomes less
"small." I suspect if you made a smaller loop for your wellbrook, it
would become directional again, but the gain would be lower due to
smaller aperture.

[email protected] May 16th 05 08:29 PM

If your goal is to identify the signals, I think the vertical with amp
(i.e. Might FIne Junk 1024 or even home-brew version) will do the job.
I suspect (but have no first hand knowledge) that noise sources will
not be very coherent, so they won't spike a spectrum analyser like a
real RF signal.

If you wanted to listen to the signal you identified, then I'd go for
the Wellbrook.

Joe Analssandrini May 16th 05 10:17 PM

Hello.

It appears that you are going to buy a Wellbrook ALA 330S Active Loop
Antenna (there is no such model as ALA 300). Note that while this
antenna will afford you superb reception (I recommend that you read Jay
Allen's review at this URL:
http://www.radiointel.com/review-wellbrook.htm), just buying it is not
all you will have to do. There are other items you must purchase
locally AND the antenna MUST be properly mounted and installed. (A
fence-post or deck railing is a good location. An attic is an even
better one. Even though the instructions mention the optimum outdoor
mounting location, it is definitely not critical. I prefer
attic-mounting as the antenna performs in a superlative fashion in that
location and it (and its associated equipment) - no small invenstment!
- is protected from the weather).

If you are indeed serious, please read the following carefully.

You will need to buy a suitable length of RG-58C/U (in the United
States often labeled RG-58U - this is the same thing) coaxial cable (no
other kind will do!) and two (2) BNC connectors. This can be purchased
at your local Radio Shack.

Should you wish to take advantage of the antenna's directional
capabilities (recommended), you will need to purchase a Radio Shack
antenna rotator (about $75.00) and the special cable for that rotator
(about $15.00). You will also need a suitable length of PVC
(preferably) pipe which attaches the antenna to the rotator (about
$2.00 at your local hardware store).

All of this MUST be hooked up in STRICT accordance with the
instructions packed with the antenna.

IF --- you follow the instructions EXACTLY, the installation process is
quite easy and shouldn't take more than an hour or two.

IF --- you feel that you are incapable of doing the installation
yourself, I strongly recommend that you hire a competent electrician to
install the antenna for you. MAKE SURE that he READS the instructions
CAREFULLY before attempting the installation. (Installation charge will
probably be between $200-$300.)

You will want to contact THE SHORTWAVE SHOP in the UK if you wish to
make the purchase with a credit card. You can buy directly from Andy
Ikin at the factory, but he accepts checks only. (Also THE SHORTWAVE
SHOP sometimes charges less.) I believe the current price in dollars,
including shipping, is around $350.00.

Note too that there may be a delay in shipment; Andy has been quite
backed-up of late due to an overwhelming number of orders (the "word"
has gotten around about this antenna!), though I think he is catching
up to some extent.

IF --- you are willing to go to the lengths necessary to acquire this
antenna, you will be rewarded with probably the finest antenna ever
designed for the shortwave listener. (The purchase "hurdles" are
deliberate: Wellbrook is a "one-man" operation and Andy can make only
so-many antennas!)

You want to hear very weak signals? This is your antenna!

I own one. In all my forty-plus years of shortwave listening, I
personally have never experienced ANY antenna even nearly as good as
the Wellbrook ALA 330S.

Best of luck,

Joe

dxAce May 16th 05 10:39 PM

Joe Analssandrini wrote:

[...]

You've never strung up any really long wires?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Telamon May 17th 05 03:26 AM

In article ,
"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

Dave Holford wrote:
snip
Loops are directional, as are dipoles etc.snip

Wellbrook suggests a rotator for LW and MW on the 1530, but they don't seem to
call for one for HF.

http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/ALA1530.html

The loop will have a more directional pattern the lower in frequency you
go.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon May 17th 05 03:33 AM

In article . com,
wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

I have a special wideband (10 MHz) SIGINT radio.

I think I'm going to go for the Wellbrook ALA 300.

Should I sit it on my deck or should I put it up on a mast? My gear is
in my basement.

Go for the mast.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

[email protected] May 17th 05 08:05 AM

Any 50 ohm cable should do the trick. I'm not even sure how significant
the cable is since the wellbrook amplifies the signal.

You can do all the "paperwork" via email then fax your credit card
number.

The weak dollar policy of the Bushies sucks big time. It makes items
like the Welbrook damn expensive, and there is no other source.

[email protected] May 17th 05 08:11 AM

I went on BLM land and strung up about 200ft of long wire with a
Palomar magnetic balun in the center. I still got better SNR with the
30ft loop on the ALA100, and this is in an environment where there was
little man made noise.

I think too much is made about the strength of a signal versus the
quality. You can alway use a preamp for more gain, but that generally
doesn't make the signal sound any better. Signals sound cleaner on the
loop.

[Reminds me, I have to put that balun on ebay. ;-)]

dxAce May 17th 05 10:44 AM

wrote:

I went on BLM land and strung up about 200ft of long wire with a
Palomar magnetic balun in the center.

Maybe that's why! You might have gotten better results had you put the balun at
the end of the wire.

Joe Analssandrini May 17th 05 04:41 PM

Is 300 feet long enough for you? I had one of that length very briefly
(one year) until it came down in a storm. Then I erected a 100 foot one
(oriented North-South - broadside to East-West) which I used for a
number of years. I was able to secure this length much better. This was
all many years ago when I lived in my parents' house which had a lot of
land.

The Wellbrook is superior, especially in the summer, as it attenuates
atmospheric noise and local electrical noise. The signal-to-noise ratio
it affords is unparalleled.

When I used my 100 foot wire, DXing was difficult in the summertime due
to the noise and static. I believe that most people still have that
problem, as well as greatly increased local electrical noise. Preamps,
of course, do nothing to alleviate any of this.

So yes, I have experience with many different types of antennas, both
passive and active. And note that while I was answering the creator of
this thread who said he had limited space, and I personally now also
have limited space, I firmly believe that, even if I could, I would not
Wellbrook ALA 330S.

It is THAT good!

Best,

Joe

dxAce May 17th 05 04:48 PM

Joe Analssandrini wrote:

[...]

I'll stick with my wires, thanks!

David May 17th 05 04:57 PM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 11:48:42 -0400, dxAce
wrote:

So yes, I have experience with many different types of antennas, both
passive and active. And note that while I was answering the creator of
this thread who said he had limited space, and I personally now also
have limited space, I firmly believe that, even if I could, I would not
Wellbrook ALA 330S.

It is THAT good!

I'll stick with my wires, thanks!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Spoken like a true obstinator...

dxAce May 17th 05 05:02 PM

wrote:

So yes, I have experience with many different types of antennas, both
passive and active. And note that while I was answering the creator of
this thread who said he had limited space, and I personally now also
have limited space, I firmly believe that, even if I could, I would not
Wellbrook ALA 330S.

It is THAT good!

I'll stick with my wires, thanks!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Spoken like a true obstinator...

I'd compare my DX'ing totals with you any old day...

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] May 17th 05 06:35 PM

The palomar balun I have is designed for center feed. It was certainly
used correctly.

dxAce May 17th 05 07:39 PM

wrote:

The palomar balun I have is designed for center feed. It was certainly
used correctly.

Which model? Their MLB-1 could certainly be hooked up at a center point, but in
practice I've never seen anyone use one in that manner.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] May 18th 05 01:27 AM

There is no model number on it, but it's not the MLB-1. In the dark
ages, Palomar made two other magnetic baluns, both bottoming out in
the beacon band. The one I have has three eye bolts: one on the top and
one on each side. You can attach the long wires to the side eye bolts,
that is, they are isolated. A small white wire comes out each side
which is then soldered to the long wire.

The other model had some sort of control box that allowed switching
between a pair of long wires. IIRC, the balun had 3 connections for
long wires. You could pick a pair, which would be in a V shape rather
than a normal dipole. This allowed the antenna to be electrically
rotated (so to speak, since there were only 3 angles).

dxAce May 18th 05 02:07 AM

wrote:

There is no model number on it, but it's not the MLB-1. In the dark
ages, Palomar made two other magnetic baluns, both bottoming out in
the beacon band. The one I have has three eye bolts: one on the top and
one on each side. You can attach the long wires to the side eye bolts,
that is, they are isolated. A small white wire comes out each side
which is then soldered to the long wire.

In which case you have a dipole... not a long or random wire.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] May 18th 05 06:45 AM

I've done the long wire route too. The 7030 has a high impedance
connection for this purpose. The magnetic balun is superior to the long
wire in that you can at least avoid the local noise generated at your
QTH. The wire with the balun is still a random length. You can just tap
it in the center rather than the end.

Anyway, I've gone to the Wellbrook now, so I really don't care about
inferior techniques.

[email protected] May 19th 05 03:34 AM

Joe,

THANK YOU!!! Fantastic info. I'll print and follow your instructions to
the letter.

I'm happy to hear that I'll get better performance in the attic than
outside. The attic install is more convenient for me and I like the
idea of protecting the antenna from the weather.

If I need a pre-amp what would you recommend?

I'm digitizing the RF with a 100 Msps 14-bit ADC with max scale at 5.5
dBm. Ideally, I'd like the signal to peak at around 5.5 dBm so I'll
realize the full dynamic range of the "receiver". What dBm range should
I expect from the Wellbrook antenna?

Thanks!
John

[email protected] May 19th 05 08:38 AM

It sounds to me like you are just going to digitize RF and try to find
signals. I'll put a scope on the output of my Wellbrook and see how
much signal is present, but I suspect I won't see much on a scope. The
manufacturer knows the antenna will be going to a receiver with gain.
I'm very certain you will need additional gain before the ADC. dBM
should be quite meaningless if you are just digitzing RF since there
will be many signals present. [dBm would make sense if one sine wave
was present.] The sum of all RF will have many sine wave, so the notion
of the "crest factor" is relevant.

One thing to note is that while the Wellbrook is specified for response
up to 30MHz, it is picking up signals well beyond that limit. I have no
trouble getting air band navigation beacons with the Wellbrook.
Obviously it isn't optimal at 3x the factory spec, but you will
probably have to significantly antialias the signal before digitizing.
I bet it is just loaded with FM broadcast signals.You would probably
benefit from adding some sort of AGC circuit too.

RHF May 19th 05 09:10 AM

"M",

Jack Painter May 19th 05 04:23 PM

RHF, you always provide a wealth of written and URL-referenced information
to the group, so it is with respect for your efforts that I am making some
suggestions to correct a couple of your definitions :

"RHF" wrote
"M",
.
IF you have a Single 'piece' of Wire Antenna Element
connected to a MLB (UnUn) along with a Ground Wire
and Coax Cable. Then in general most people would
call this a Long Wire Antenna; and many would more
specifically call it a Random Wire Antenna.
.
IF you have Two Equal 'pieces' of Wire Antenna Element
connected to a Balun along with a Ground Wire and Coax
Cable. Then in general most people would call this a
Dipole.
.
Dipole by Design {Tuned} :
If the Two Equal 'pieces' of Wire Antenna Element are
"Cut" to a specific length for a given frequency. Then
the Two Equal 'pieces' of Wire Antenna Element {Together}
can be said to be "Tuned" or they can be referred to as
a "Tuned Dipole Antenna".
.
Dipole by Chance/Random {Un-Tuned} :
However, if the Two Equal 'pieces' of Wire Antenna
Element are simply used to fill the available space;
and NOT "Cut" to a specific length for a given frequency.
Then the Two Equal 'pieces' of Wire Antenna Element
{Together} are simply a Random Length and can be said
to be "Un-Tuned" or they can be referred to as a
"Un-Tuned Dipole Antenna".
.
iane ~ RHF
. . . . .

You can leave out all mention of Baluns and Coax from your description of
any kind of antenna. Baluns and Coax are not part of an antenna, they are
part of the transmission line. Furthermore, neither a Balun nor Coax are
required as part of any antenna or transmission line system, they are both
options that provide either convenience or safety or both.

You may also omit the inclusion of a ground wire as being any part of a
dipole antenna. An earth ground is never part of either the antenna or
feedline system of a center-fed dipole antenna.

On the "random" or "long wire" terms, it has always been kind of laughable
to split hairs about how long a wire is before it becomes a "long wire".
Using the IEEE definition that states 2WL long for instance: for 29 mHz
reception, a random piece of wire length suddenly becomes a 2WL "long wire'
when its 66 feet long. Then, when we cut wire for 1/4 WL that generally
fulfills a good receive and transmit capability for a given frequency, it
sounds ignorant to call that a "random wire", which of course it is not.
Those two terms may always cause confusion in the field.

Best regards,

Jack

[email protected] May 20th 05 12:30 AM

I suppose you could use the term untuned dipole, but I think most
people would interpret the term incorrectly. Functionally, both are
random lengths of wire.

In most cases, the ground connection is through some wire, which in
itself is an antenna (not to mention an inductor). Since you can never
make a decent connection to ground, I try to use antennas that don't
require a good ground [Counterpoise grounds are the exception in that
they are part of the antenna.]

dxAce May 20th 05 01:07 PM

wrote:

I suppose you could use the term untuned dipole, but I think most
people would interpret the term incorrectly. Functionally, both are
random lengths of wire.

If one has a dipole would it not be 'tuned' or 'resonant' on some frequency?

Mark Zenier May 20th 05 06:20 PM

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

wrote:

I suppose you could use the term untuned dipole, but I think most
people would interpret the term incorrectly. Functionally, both are
random lengths of wire.

If one has a dipole would it not be 'tuned' or 'resonant' on some frequency?

Resonance just means that it's operating at a point where the inductive
and capacitive reactances are equal. A non-resonant dipole is still
picking up the signal, it just presents it as an impedance that is
mismatched to the transmission line (or receiver).

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

[email protected] May 20th 05 11:14 PM

Thanks for sharing your advice. You are exactly right that there will
be aliasing if I digitize the RF directly. I'll actually be running it
through a system of bandpass and lowpass filters, amplifiers, and a
programmable attenuator. This system expects a maximum input of 20 dBm.
That's why I think I'll need to boost the signal out of the antenna.

My customers typically use a multicoupler between the filters and the
antenna, but I don't have one. I need some sort of pre-amp, but I don't
know how much gain I should get to as close to 20 dBm as possible
without going over ("The Price Is Right" rules).

How much gain should I get in an amplifier? 20 dB, 40 dB, 60 dB? I know
it's highly dependent on my RF environment, but I need to make some
assumptions to at least get close.

BTW, what's the right way to measure the signal level produced by an
antenna?

THANKS!
John