Old May 15th 05, 07:00 PM

Default Desktop metal shielded PC case?

I'm looking for a solid desktop (either pizza-box or mini-tower)
computer case that has an all-metal exterior for shielding RFI. This
is for use around radios etc. I realize that SVGA monitors, mice, and
keyboard leak too, but right now I'm looking mainly at the PC box.

Most of the cheaper cases come pretty close to good shielding, but they
have these plastic filler panels in the drive bays that offer no
shielding and let a lot of RF leak out.

Most of the fancier cases in the computer stores around here have
humongous plastic pieces on the side. I'm looking for all-metal.

Rack-mount server cases seem to be pretty good in terms of metal
shielding all around but I need something for desktop use.

Any suggestions? If all else fails I can just put some perforated
metal over the holes in a cheap case, but I'd rather just buy a good
case to begin with.

Tim.

Old May 15th 05, 07:20 PM
John Smith

They make 'em:
http://www.directron.com/pc75.html

I have even seen an all stainless steel case which is used around food
production plants... can't find anything close with google though...

Son has an all aluminum case, $175.00 is what he paid for it!--OUCH!!!!

Warmest regards,
John
--
If "God"--expecting an angel... if evolution--expecting an alien... just
wondering if I will be able to tell the difference!

oups.com...

Old May 15th 05, 07:23 PM
John Smith

You could always shield the plastic panels with copper or aluminum foil or
screen--etc... (on the inside--out of sight)

Warmest regards,
John

Old May 15th 05, 08:11 PM
Tim Shoppa

They make 'em: http://www.directron.com/pc75.html

What about that gaping big square-foot hole in the side?

I have even seen an all stainless steel case which is used around
food

The old "PC Power and Cooling" all-metal-tower used to be good (I think
it was available in chrome!), but they don't sell them anymore
(probably because they cost several hundred $).

I'm not looking for anything particularly stylish. Just a case without
big holes covered by plastic.

Tim.

Old May 15th 05, 08:28 PM
John Smith

Personally, I'd place a sheet of aluminum window screen between the acrylic
sheet and the case--that way I could still get the effect of looking into
the case, and still be shielded...

Other than that, I'd pick the one from their catalog which DOESN'T have the
"big gaping hole" in the side... grin

Warmest regards,
John
--
If "God"--expecting an angel... if evolution--expecting an alien... just
wondering if I will be able to tell the difference!

oups.com...

Old May 15th 05, 10:48 PM
Gary S.

On Sun, 15 May 2005 12:28:21 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

Personally, I'd place a sheet of aluminum window screen between the acrylic
sheet and the case--that way I could still get the effect of looking into
the case, and still be shielded...

Other than that, I'd pick the one from their catalog which DOESN'T have the
"big gaping hole" in the side... grin

FYI:

Some plastic used in cases has a "flash" coating of aluminum
(sputtered in a vacuum chamber). While the metal is extremely thin,
just a few microns, it is enough to provide RFI shielding.

Obviously not as good as solid metal for shielding, but good enough
for many uses. Check out what sort of plastic before assuming it will
not shield.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old May 15th 05, 10:54 PM
Al Dykes

In article .com,
Tim Shoppa wrote:
They make 'em: http://www.directron.com/pc75.html

What about that gaping big square-foot hole in the side?

I have even seen an all stainless steel case which is used around
food

The old "PC Power and Cooling" all-metal-tower used to be good (I think
it was available in chrome!), but they don't sell them anymore
(probably because they cost several hundred $).

I'm not looking for anything particularly stylish. Just a case without
big holes covered by plastic.

Tim.

If you buy a brand name computer it meets some prety good FCC specs
for emission. IMO if you are carefull any good all-metal case will
produce an EMI-tight case.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Old May 15th 05, 08:42 PM
Mike Andrews

In (rec.radio.amateur.homebrew), Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Jeremy Boden wrote:

In message .com,
writes
[...]

What band does a PC broadcast on?

--
Jeremy Boden

It depends on the computer.

What he said. Usually on all harmonics of each clock in the box, from ~1.8
MHz on up to near daylight -- or at least well past 70 cm., in the case
of the boxes here at home and at work. Add in all their cross-modulation
products as well, and it starts to look pretty gross. One of these days
I'll borrow a spectrum analyzer and see what's coming from where. I know
that the bedroom TV puts out a lot of stuff around 3.5-4.0 MHz. and the
cable box is pretty noisy, too. Hard to hear DX over all the in-house QRM.

--
Mike Andrews W5EGO 5WPM
Extra