Old May 17th 05, 08:22 PM
Pete KE9OA

If you ordered Schottky diodes, you ordered the wrong type. You need PIN
diodes. 1N5767s would do the trick.
It is worthwhile to change the audio coupling caps.

Pete
wrote in message
oups.com...
AT http:/www.kiwa.com/rxtips.html, A nice publication on
"Tips for Imporivng Receiver Performance"
Under the section "audio imporvements" it is suggested that
all of the ceramic capacitors ber rpelaced and polarised
electrolytics be replaced.

Has anyone made these mods and if so, do they really improve
the audio.

Given that everything else on the Kiwa site is topnotch,
I have to at elast think about this fairly inexpensive
upgrade.

His commnets on replacing the Si switching diodes in the 8ve
fitlers with PIN types is "spot on". In high signal situations,
this mod really helps reduce the distortion. I have ordered a
set of schottky do replace those Si diodes in the ceramic fitler
swithces.

I would love to buy an AOR AR7030+, I have a borrowed unit
that I will have to return to it's owner this weekend. But
until I can save $1500, I will have to live with what I
already have.

Terry

Old May 18th 05, 02:06 AM

FWIW, the diode used in the AM demod of my HP334A distortion analyzer
is a fd2387. There is nothing on the net about the diode.

Specs are

thd 0.3% from 550Khz to 1.6Mhz, 30% modulation 3 to 8 v carrier

thd1% for 1.6Mhz to 65Mhz (same conditions)