Old May 21st 05, 02:53 PM
sid

Default best analog am/fm radio

I want to buy a reasonably portable am/fm/sw radio. I want to take it
to India (where AM frequency by far still rules) for my mother and
hence it has to satisfy certain requirements

sound quality is important - lots of pocket SW radios these days skimp
on speakers.

It has to be very simplistic - just a tuning and volume dials and band
selector. Digital tuning can be nice esp since you can have one touch
tuning but the number of buttons on face should not be confusing -
otherwise analog is preferred since she is quite used to seeing where
the slider stops.

reasonably portable - may be 7-10 inches long with 2-4 AA battery
opearation. I read about GE superradio but it seems big needing 6 D
cells. Also it doesn't have any SW band.

AM reception is very important. I just bought a panasonic RF-B11 it
looks/feels cheap for the $50 spent on it and the AM reception is
almost non-existant.

I honestly don't like 9-10 SW bands as you have to endlessly change
bands and keep sliding up and down - in analog radios. One or two SW
bands which receive only the strongest local (within country)channels
would be nice.

The price should be reasonable - around $50 for an analog.

Is there anything out there?

Old May 21st 05, 02:59 PM
dxAce

sid wrote:

[...]

Might be better to look for a receiver in India once you get there perhaps?

Just a thought.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 21st 05, 03:04 PM
dxAce

sid wrote:

[...]

Another idea might be to contact Jose Jacob, a SWL in India, and see what he
might recommend that would meet local requirements well.

You can reach him at:

vu2jos AT yahoo.co.in

I'm certain he'd be willing to assist you.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 21st 05, 03:53 PM
Dan

Is there anything out there?

Yes..
Look in the link below . . .

http://www.radiointel.com/review-various.htm

Old May 22nd 05, 04:34 AM
Brenda Ann

"sid" wrote in message
ups.com...

reasonably portable - may be 7-10 inches long with 2-4 AA battery
opearation. I read about GE superradio but it seems big needing 6 D
cells. Also it doesn't have any SW band.

Aside from the lack of a SW band, the Superadio (especially a Superadio or
Superadio II (these are better build quality than the SRIII) is an ideal
choice for you. Yes, they do use 6 D cell batteries, but the life of these
batteries in this radio is phenomenal. I have personally used a single set
of batteries in an SRII for nearly a year, listening around 4-6 hours a day
(alkaline batteries).

Old May 23rd 05, 05:16 AM
RHF

BAD,
Old May 23rd 05, 02:34 PM
sid

I cannot find any info on superradio II on the net. Can you tell me
where I can buy it from. If I look over SW band I also came upon on
Sony ICF-36 on amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=pc&n=507846
Is this a good one too?

Old May 23rd 05, 07:17 PM
Tom Holden

http://www.jollyvideotronics.com/radio.html

Old May 30th 05, 02:34 PM
sid

thanks all. I finally found a Sony ICF-SW600. looks and sounds decent.