Old May 23rd 05, 12:48 AM
JS

Default Kaito 1103 radio comments

Have looked at reviews on sub $100 portables.
This one has analog styledigital tuning and fine tuning.
Plus it has ssb.
Anyone have one, comments?

Old May 23rd 05, 01:44 AM

JS wrote:
Have looked at reviews on sub $100 portables.
This one has analog styledigital tuning and fine tuning.
Plus it has ssb.
Anyone have one, comments?

I have one and like it quite a bit. It feels like a solid radio, it
sounds better and receives better than my dx-402, and the ergonomics
aren't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. The analog display is
"digitized", so it seems like a gimick.You can do direct entry tune, or
use the tuning knob on the side...it doesn't chuff! the tuning knob
doubles as the volume control; just press vol, the turn the knob, then
wait half a sec. before tuning. It handles a random wire clipped to the
telescopic without overloading, and you could use something like a Sony
AN_LP1 with it easily. I live in a very (electrically)noisy town in NH
so it's hard to test out the true DX capabilities....on a quiet
day,though, I've been able to pull in Iceland, RVI via Irkutsk(when
they still b'cast in English) channel africa in the afternoon (EST) as
well as the majors all over. I wake up to R. Lider from Colombia or R.
Nacional from Paraguay in the early morning, and they come in just
fine! I haven't tried out a Grundig 400PE, but I suspect the 1103 is
every bit as good. I even found the perfect case for it.....a Gameboy
Advance case ; )

Old May 23rd 05, 02:08 AM
JS

I figured I'd ask before getting one.
Have been reading sw portable reveiws for about a week now.
Theres a site that has some good writeups.
Did start out by looking at the Sangeans, but
after reading about so many problems I started
looking at some others.
Figure if we get alot of storms this year(south Florida)
it'll be nice to have something to listen to other than the local stations
covering just storm news !

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old May 23rd 05, 02:38 AM

JS wrote:
Have looked at reviews on sub $100 portables.
This one has analog styledigital tuning and fine tuning.
Plus it has ssb.
Anyone have one, comments?

I have the Kaito KA-1102 and like it very much. Very hot on just the
whip antenna and decent SSB reception. Operating the unit, however, is
not the most user friendly.

Frank
Tucson

Old May 23rd 05, 02:55 AM
JS

The 1102 looks to be less user friendly than the 1103.
I think the analog style tuning on the 1103 will be better for me,
since I like to listen when I'm in bed.
Just shopping around for price now.
Universal radios, online, has it for $78 and change, so far the best price,
and reputable apperaring vendor.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old May 23rd 05, 03:20 AM
running dogg

JS wrote:

The 1102 looks to be less user friendly than the 1103.
I think the analog style tuning on the 1103 will be better for me,
since I like to listen when I'm in bed.
Just shopping around for price now.
Universal radios, online, has it for $78 and change, so far the best price,
and reputable apperaring vendor.

Buy it on ebay. Liypn of V Com Collections ebay store will likely have
the Degen version (same radio) for around $50. He can't use the name
Degen, however, so the ad will just say "1103 SW radio".

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old May 23rd 05, 03:32 AM
Buzzygirl

"Jim Hackett" wrote in message
ink.net...
The ergonimics are kind of funky but it does perform very well.

My thoughts exactly. It's a very good performer for the price and the weird
volume control is tolerable after awhile.

Jackie

Old May 23rd 05, 03:37 AM
Buzzygirl

"JS" wrote in message
. ..
The 1102 looks to be less user friendly than the 1103.
I think the analog style tuning on the 1103 will be better for me,
since I like to listen when I'm in bed.

I don't think the 1102 is less user-friendly than the 1103... in my view,
it's the opposite. The strange volume control on the 1103 and the
non-telephonic layout of its keypad make it less intuitive under low-light
conditions than the 1102. Both radios are pretty easy to operate after
you've had the chance to use them for a little while, though. The fake
analog dial on the 1103 was really not a selling point for me, since it's
not an analog tuned radio.

They are both excellent performers in their price range.

Jackie

Old May 23rd 05, 11:39 AM
Unrevealed Source

You might be happier with a used ATS-808a (DX-380). Available all the time
on eBay for about the same money.

.. .