Old May 23rd 05, 06:59 PM
Lucky

Default Astron Power Supplies Questions

Hi guys

I'm looking to pick up one of these for a couple receivers. Now I seem to
have run into a concern. I did some research and found several models that
don't offer crowbar overvolt protection.

The RS-3a, RS-4a, 5a, and 4L and 5L.
But, I see they have a primary fuse on back.

Now take the RS-10a. It has crowbar protection, but no fuse for a primary
overvolt. So I figured if they have crowbar, they don't need a fuse. But now
I have found Astron models with crowbar but some use a fuse while others
don't.

So what's the story here? Which one is best? One that uses both a fuse and
has built in crowbar protection or it doesn't matter as long as they have
crowbar?
Why do some use both then?

Why do some not use a fuse at all? That doesn't seem to make sense.

Thanks for replies
Lucky

Old May 23rd 05, 07:41 PM

You want a crowbar and a fuse.
Avoid switchmode supplies like the plague.

This is a link to one review of the RS-10a:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3726

This link to a dagram shows a fuse:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/astr...ron-rs-10a.jpg

A long time ago in a different life (20+ years ago) I was responsable
for the operation of a 2 mtr repeater and I picked a Atron supply that
is still chugging along with no trouble. I don't remember which Astron
but at least back then, they made great supplies.

I added a surplus magnetic circuit breaker between the output of my
Lambda ~15A 12V supply and my equipment, followed by a seperate
fast acting, no falses ?(so far) crowbar. This is the BEST OVP (Over
Voltage Protector) I have seen in 30+ years of working in electronics.
Added a heavy si diode wired to shunt reverse voltage to ground.
This is located in the power distribution section of my system. With
this
I can directly power my radio room from my car, for emergencies, and
won't have to worry abvout areverse connection,or nasty spikes damaging
my equipment.
Power supply on floor feeds voltage/current monitoring with R&OVP and
breakers to protect and alllow me to power down sections to reduce
power load. Sounds complex and expensive, but it wasn't and I bought
everything surplus. The distirbution sections has stayed "the same" for

the last 20 years, I have gone through several power supplies. I have
connections for 2 lead acid gell cells, and an outside connection to
allow
an external +12V power source.

Think modular.
Build it in sections as needed.

Terry

Terry

Old May 23rd 05, 07:52 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

There is a 10a on Ebay for $10 but it's missing the front print and don't
know if it's missing the fuse too. I think the best way to go is buy one
new. You just don't know the real condition of it and how long it was used.
The best one I could find new for the price is the Astron RS-7a. $55.

So it's either spend like $65 on a brand new one or buy one off Ebay.
What do you think? $10 for a 10A might not be too bad though if I use a
surge protector with it.

Thanks
Lucky

Old May 23rd 05, 08:10 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to buytheon you mention. But I don'tknow what
your electronic skills are. It could be a very good deal, or a boat
anchor.

Take a look at the diagram in the 2nd link and decide if you could
rebuild one. The transformer, caps, and heatsink are the expensive
parts. If you have those repair is easy and fairly inexpensive.

But there is something to be said for a brand new, and under warrenty
item.

Terry

Old May 23rd 05, 08:13 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
[...]

You know what, screw Ebay. My R75 is almost brand new and I love my Lowe
HF-150 so why not "splurge a little" and buy a new one? I just bought a
brand new Astron RS-7a. $45.80 was the cheapest I could find it plus $12
shipping. It weighs 10lbs.

I think I did the right thing buying a new one.

Lucky

Old May 23rd 05, 08:34 PM
Lucky

"Lucky" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Guess what? I cancelled the damn order. After looking carefully thru the
finer print, it seems they are in "perfect condition returns" That why
$45.80

Hate that crap. You see these deals on radios till you call and finally
found out "our loss is your gain" is that are "open box" items or "factory
refurbished"

Lucky

Old May 23rd 05, 09:03 PM
dxAce

beerbarrel wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2005 15:13:01 -0400, "Lucky"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You think someone on ebay would sell you one?

Good question.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 24th 05, 06:55 AM
Lucky

wrote in message
oups.com...
I wouldn't hesitate to buytheon you mention. But I don'tknow what
your electronic skills are. It could be a very good deal, or a boat
anchor.

Take a look at the diagram in the 2nd link and decide if you could
rebuild one. The transformer, caps, and heatsink are the expensive
parts. If you have those repair is easy and fairly inexpensive.

But there is something to be said for a brand new, and under warrenty
item.

Terry

How good are the Pyramid PSU's??

Lucky

Old May 24th 05, 11:17 AM
Gen. Geroge Hammond

I have seen people use them but an Astron is much better. Also,
If you look around on ebay and QTH.com and QRZ.com you can usually
find a 20 amp for around $40 - $80 , with or without meters, in good
working order.
20 amp might be over kill for you now but it will last forever! Even an
Astron 12 amp would be OK for receivers.
These supplies will run forever without a light receiver load. I have
an astron 50 amp supply that has been on since 1985!!!!!
Remember, you only want to buy a supply one time. If the one you get
is just enough
for your needs today, what happens when you get a few more pieces next
year and now your supply is
too small?
Have fun!!!

Lucky wrote:

How good are the Pyramid PSU's??

roups.com...

Old May 24th 05, 01:54 PM

POS
I have seen several and even the linear ones are way too noisy.
Go with an aston.
Even a returned unit could ber a very good deal.
Lot's of items are returned that have no problem

I wouldn't hesitate to go for a factory refurbished supply.
If you can afford it, spring for meters. It is nice to be able
to look at the voltage adn currentmeters every now and
then just to check that things are normal.

I had an old Clegg rock bound 2 mtr rig that started drawing
about 2 amps on squelched receive. The amp meter showed
me an unexpected load, so I was able to catch a minor problem
before it became a big one.

Terry