Old May 24th 05, 03:46 AM
Guy Atkins

Default Radio Wantok Light, PNG 7120 kHz

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 7120, 0830-1200, Wantok Radio Light, Port Moresby May 23
TENTATIVE reception of this new PNG Christian outlet first noted with
religious-sounding music fading in at 0830. Four musical tones noted at
0900:20, followed by possible ID by woman. Signal improved very slightly
past 0900, with continuous Christian contemporary and possibly PNG church
music. The language sounded Pidgin at times, but was much too weak for
positive language identification. At 1101:38, I heard a distinctive 'Bird of
Paradise' call (national bird of PNG, I believe). An MP3 recording of this
can be heard at: http://www.guyatkins.com/files/tenta...RL_7120kHz.mp3
0830 UTC is just past Port Moresby sunrise, so a darkness path makes a
difference on this frequency to the West Coast USA (and as predicted by the
propagation module within ERGO). (Atkins-WA)

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
mod. ICOM IC-756Pro & mod. ICOM R-75
Kiwa MAP / ERGO
450 & 700 ft. Beverage Antennas

Old May 24th 05, 03:52 AM
Guy Atkins

Sorry... the URL for the short audio clip should be:

http://www.guyatkins.com/files/tenta...RL_7120khz.mp3

I'm not *that* familiar with the Bird of Paradise call. Maybe this is just a
warbling siren, and I'm just being too DX-hopeful!

I'll be checking 7120 kHz the next few evenings, as well as during a coastal
DXpedition to Grayland on June 10th and 11th, which happens to be during the
Radio Wantok Light dedication ceremony.

Guy

Old May 24th 05, 05:09 AM
Buzzygirl

"Guy Atkins" wrote in message

I'm not *that* familiar with the Bird of Paradise call. Maybe this is just

warbling siren, and I'm just being too DX-hopeful!

Sounds like a police car's siren to me... the way they sound around my neck
of the woods anyway (Twin Cities, Minnesota USA).

Jackie

Old May 24th 05, 05:25 AM
Tebojockey

On Mon, 23 May 2005 23:09:23 -0500, "Buzzygirl"
wrote:

"Guy Atkins" wrote in message

I'm not *that* familiar with the Bird of Paradise call. Maybe this is just

warbling siren, and I'm just being too DX-hopeful!

Sounds like a police car's siren to me... the way they sound around my neck
of the woods anyway (Twin Cities, Minnesota USA).

Jackie

Guy, I believe you heard the regional police program that was hear in
my report also posted in here. The programs starts off with a long
police siren, and when I heard it, the inspector running the show was
telling everyone about the various disciplinary measures used against
constables accused of misdeeds.

During the time I was listening, I heard no bird calls, but lotsa C&W
christian music and the female announcer saying hi to all the people
calling in saying they could hear the program.

Al in CNMI

Old May 24th 05, 10:20 AM
Aristotle

Then that's most likely the Bird of Paradise. There are a couple of
species and they all have bery unusual calls. Nothing like birds over
here.

Old May 24th 05, 06:50 PM
DesignGuy

"Buzzygirl" wrote in message

"Guy Atkins" wrote in message

I'm not *that* familiar with the Bird of Paradise call. Maybe this is

just
warbling siren, and I'm just being too DX-hopeful!

Sounds like a police car's siren to me... the way they sound around my

neck
of the woods anyway (Twin Cities, Minnesota USA).

That siren really cuts through the noise though !