RadioBanter

-   -   Quasi Synchronous?? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/72092-quasi-synchronous.html)

Lucky June 1st 05 05:36 PM

Quasi Synchronous??

Hi guys!

I saw this term mentioned in the specs of a radio. What does it mean
exactly? That if you hope and listen long enough you can convince yourself
it's synchronous? :)

Lucky

dxAce June 1st 05 05:38 PM

Lucky wrote:

Hi guys!

I saw this term mentioned in the specs of a radio. What does it mean
exactly? That if you hope and listen long enough you can convince yourself
it's synchronous? :)

Which radio?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

craigm June 1st 05 06:28 PM

Lucky wrote:
Hi guys!

I saw this term mentioned in the specs of a radio. What does it mean
exactly? That if you hope and listen long enough you can convince yourself
it's synchronous? :)

Lucky

Which radio. The term could mean a variety of things, but if you want a
specific answer, please indicate which radio and provide a link to the
use of the ter,.

Then, somone may be able to provide the correct (exact) answer.

craigm

John S. June 1st 05 07:45 PM

Which radio...haven't heard that term.

Pete KE9OA June 1st 05 09:29 PM

Quasi synchronous detection is a non-PLL type of sync detection.......like
the type that was used in the Drake R7 receiver. Basically, it consists of
using a mixer to demodulate the AM signal in this way: the I.F. signal is
split into two paths.
The unprocessed I.F. signal (one of the paths) is applied to the RF port of
a mixer, while the other path is squared up through a limiting amplifier and
applied to the LO port of this same mixer.
The demodulated audio is taken from the I.F. port (output port in this case)
of the mixer.
I did a similar design a couple of years ago, using a Philips SA637 Digital
FM Receiver chip. Philips discontinued that device so I went with the AD607
for my subsequent design.
I hope this helps.

Pete

"John S." wrote in message
ups.com...
Which radio...haven't heard that term.

Pete KE9OA June 1st 05 09:30 PM

I believe that Kiwa detector that went on eBay recently was of this design.

"John S." wrote in message
ups.com...
Which radio...haven't heard that term.

dxAce June 1st 05 09:33 PM

Pete KE9OA wrote:

Quasi synchronous detection is a non-PLL type of sync detection.......like
the type that was used in the Drake R7 receiver. Basically, it consists of
using a mixer to demodulate the AM signal in this way: the I.F. signal is
split into two paths.
The unprocessed I.F. signal (one of the paths) is applied to the RF port of
a mixer, while the other path is squared up through a limiting amplifier and
applied to the LO port of this same mixer.
The demodulated audio is taken from the I.F. port (output port in this case)
of the mixer.
I did a similar design a couple of years ago, using a Philips SA637 Digital
FM Receiver chip. Philips discontinued that device so I went with the AD607
for my subsequent design.
I hope this helps.

Ahhhhh yes, in the Drake R7 it's known as "synchro-phase" detection.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Lucky June 2nd 05 05:18 AM

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
I had one of those. It did have quite a bit of RF gain, but the I.F. strip
did not have the gain that the Plessey SL6700 that is used in the HF-150
does. They are not the same receiver, performance wise. If you can find one
in the 125 dollar range, it isn't a bad deal.

Pete

"Lucky" wrote in message

"John S." wrote in message
ups.com...
Which radio...haven't heard that term.

OK

I'm interested in the old Lowe SRX-100 also known as the AKD Target HF3
and now the Nasa Target HF3/p or Nav-fax 200. Check on the very bottom
specs under "demodulator: I'm going to buy one. They look cool and seem
to have the same Lowe slower rate, faster rate knob. Simple receiver but
I seem to like it from what I've read about them. Now this company makes
a Nasa Target HF5E that I can only find in Germany. It's supposed to be
comparable with the Lowe 150.

http://www.pyacht.net/cgi-local/Soft....htm?E+scstore

Lucky

Hi Pete

would you say it's more a portable wise type perfromance? What did you do
with yours? Anything decent about it??

Lucky

Pete KE9OA June 2nd 05 05:21 AM

I do have the service manual for the R7 in PDF form. U1102 is the
Synchro-Phase detector chip...........it is indeed an MC1496.
Good low distortion component.

Pete

"dxAce" wrote in message

Pete KE9OA wrote:

Exactly............it was a good sound implementation. I believe that
they
may have used an MC1496 for that part of the circuit.

I doubt that info would be in the supplied owners manual, and I do not
have a
service manual otherwise I'd try and look it up.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Pete KE9OA June 2nd 05 05:48 AM

Hi Lucky,

It was ok.................. not a lot of gain in the I.F. system, but it did
have enough RF gain. It is probably a matter of preference, but I like my
radios to have their gain distribution set up so that the I.F. strip
provides most of the system gain. This way, you get a higher amount of
headroom in the front end if the gain in that section of the receiver isn't
too high.
It did work better than any of the portables I have used. I bumped up the
gain in the I.F. strip a little bit, and I was relatively happy with it.
I ended up trading it off in a combination deal for a Yaesu FRG-100, which I
ended up selling along with the optional CW filter and the FM board for 300
dollars. Some older fellow in one of the Carolinas bought it.

Pete