Old June 3rd 05, 04:41 AM
running dogg

Default Freeplay Lifeline

I recieved something that I ordered over the net from C. Crane, and was
flipping through the catalog they included when I noticed, on page 25, a
Freeplay Lifeline radio. It says that this radio is made for
humanitarian projects in the third world and is sold to Americans
exclusively by C. Crane. It appears to be a four band radio, with FM,
AM, and two SW bands covering 3.5-10 and 10-18 Mhz. The ad has a picture
of an African boy working in a field while listening to this radio, but
that radio appears to be different-it has a red and white dial instead
of a blue and white dial. I was wondering if anybody owns a Freeplay
Lifeline and can comment on it. I assume that the SW bands are good only
for regional reception, so in the US you'd only hear bible thumpers. At
$99.95 it's quite expensive, I don't see how they can afford to give
them away to people in Africa. Page 78 of the catalog shows a Rwandan
girl with a Lifeline, and it IS different-the dial is marked with the
Voice of America logo.

Old June 3rd 05, 04:52 AM
Michael Black

running dogg ) writes:
[...]

I have no idea, but when the Baygen first came out, much was said
about how it was invented for the African market, and the radios
were then also sold to Europe and North America at a greater price
to help fund the African project. It's expensive here, given the
relatively crummy radio (the real hook is the windup generator)
because the profits are paying for the production of the radios
for the intended end users, the Africans.

Michael

Old June 3rd 05, 05:05 AM
Telamon

In article ,
(Michael Black) wrote:

running dogg ) writes:
[...]

Don't miss the point that even in NA that radio will work without
batteries when the power goes out. It a good emergency radio, which is
how they are marketed here.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 3rd 05, 05:07 AM
John Smith

Michael:

Yes, the radio, in my opinion, is worth about 19.99... and only for the
reason that an asteroid might strike the planet and there would be no
batteries left--however, there would probably not be any multi-kilowatt
sw stations left either....

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 3rd 05, 05:20 AM
Tebojockey

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:41:53 -0700, running dogg wrote:

[...]

In the past, IBB/VoA has given away receivers so our targets can hear
our signals. We're not the only ones to do this. In the early days
of the FEBC in the Philippines, they had an electronic shop wherein
they manufactured nice wood-grain AM receivers locked onto their AM
frequency. God loves a captured audience.... LOL

Al in CNMI

Old June 3rd 05, 05:41 PM
running dogg

Tebojockey wrote:

[...]

I remember seeing an article somewhere about receivers Philips made for
an educational radio station in Colombia. The radios had five channels,
each set to an AM or SW frequency of the station, and that's all they
could get, although you could tune a little to either side by turning a
screw inside the radio. Philips saved a few of these radios in their
warehouse in the Netherlands, and when they sold off the contents of the
warehouse a while back a radio collector from America got one of these
Colombian radios and wrote an article on it. It's unknown if any survive
in Colombia, but it's unlikely considering they were made 40 years ago.

Old June 3rd 05, 05:50 PM
running dogg

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
(Michael Black) wrote:

running dogg ) writes:
[...]

I have a first generation Freeplay S360, one of the ones that used the
actual Bayliss Generator, and I was underwhelmed with its performance.
It requires a LOT of cranking (66 turns of the crank two or three times)
in order to get 15 or 30 minutes (can't remember exactly) of playing
time, and the reception is crummy-local stations only, although you can
hear some AM skywave at night. But I suppose that if you lived in the
jungles or bush of Africa and had no access to batteries that it would
be a godsend. Batteries are very expensive in the non Western world, and
hard to get too-that's why Degen radios come with rechargeable
batteries, even in China batteries are costly and scarce. In Africa most
people live on less than $1 a day, so paying for batteries is out of the
question. The C. Crane catalog does mention that for every Freeplay
Lifeline purchased in America the company donates one of the VOA
Lifelines to Africa.

Old June 3rd 05, 06:35 PM
John Smith

running dog:

That still sounds like I pay a hundred bucks for a 19.99 radio so they
can donate a 1.98 radio to someone in foreign land so they can listen to
American propaganda...

.... frankly, giving the wino on the street a couple of bucks for a
bottle sounds like better use of the money...

Warmest regards,
John

"running dogg" wrote in message
Telamon wrote:

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups
=----

Old June 3rd 05, 10:18 PM
running dogg

John Smith wrote:

running dog:

That still sounds like I pay a hundred bucks for a 19.99 radio so they
can donate a 1.98 radio to someone in foreign land so they can listen to
American propaganda...

More or less. These things must only cost a few bucks to make in China,
and the SW on the first generation Freeplays was pretty much useless for
North American purposes. Like I said, these radios must be godsends for
poor African farmers living on 50 cents a day, but for Americans, who
have access to cheap batteries and who don't have the stress demands on
these radios that the average African would, a $50 Degen or Tecsun would
be a better choice. The Freeplay Lifelines that the VOA gives out don't
look like they're frequency fixed, but I doubt they're good for much
more than listening to a few major stations (DW and Radio France have
major African operations) and the small, local SW stations operated by
local govt's.

.... frankly, giving the wino on the street a couple of bucks for a
bottle sounds like better use of the money...

Thunderbird is made by Gallo Wines. Buy a bottle of good wine with that
money.

Warmest regards,
John

"running dogg" wrote in message

Old June 4th 05, 05:56 AM
jon

Greetings! I picked up a BayGen Freeplay made in South Africa about 2
years ago at our local Big Lots Store, discount store, for $30 out of
curiosity. This one looks to be made for the American market and has
no model number on it. MW, FM, and SW from 3.3 to 12 mhz. Fifty turns
gets you 30 minutes. It loves local stations, but with the addition of
a long wire it does a decent job without the typical nasty overload
problems. The most agravating thing is the grinding hum while it is
playing. You can give it 3-9 volts with a walwart and avoid the hum.
It looks like a lunch box and is way too heavy to be practical for
camping etc. So, needless to say it doesn't get much play time even if
the power is off. I would love to add solar cells to it to run off
while I am outside at the picnic table listening. Have a great
weekend! Jon.