RadioBanter

-   -   R71A Dead Below 7998! (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/72210-r71a-dead-below-7998-a.html)

DX99 June 4th 05 05:57 AM

R71A Dead Below 7998!

My R71A just died below 7998.0 - completely dead air! Above that freq is
just fine. Anyone know what might have caused this? I seem to remember once
someone told me something about a 'paper' something that might go bad and
have to be changed to ceramic. Can someone fill me in please? Is this
expensive? Are there directions somewhere on the net? The problem seems to
be intermittent - comes and goes, abnormal static, then it went dead. Any
help/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Dan June 4th 05 04:53 PM

- I'd call Universal radio, C Crane or some shop of the ilk..

They are usually good with bits of information; or would know who might
have a clue as to whats going on inside the set.....

On the bright side, if its bad bad news, you can spend some time
shopping for a replacement..

Something similar happened on a car radio I had.. I gave it a nice
funeral & bought an electronically superior replacement..

Brian Hill June 4th 05 05:01 PM

"DX99" wrote in message
My R71A just died below 7998.0 - completely dead air! Above that freq is
just fine. Anyone know what might have caused this? I seem to remember
once
someone told me something about a 'paper' something that might go bad and
have to be changed to ceramic. Can someone fill me in please? Is this
expensive? Are there directions somewhere on the net? The problem seems to
be intermittent - comes and goes, abnormal static, then it went dead. Any
help/suggestions greatly appreciated!

It shouldn't cost much if you find a competant repair person. It sounds like
a bad conection in the RF deck.

B.H.

John S. June 4th 05 05:21 PM

I vaguely remember reading about this problem. Try posting it on the
Yahoo R71a group. Or as others suggested call Universal Shortwave, or
call Icom themselves.

Panzer240 June 4th 05 06:02 PM

"DX99" wrote in news:zwaoe.424$xI2.58@trnddc09:

My R71A just died below 7998.0 - completely dead air! Above that freq is
just fine. Anyone know what might have caused this? I seem to remember once
someone told me something about a 'paper' something that might go bad and
have to be changed to ceramic. Can someone fill me in please? Is this
expensive? Are there directions somewhere on the net? The problem seems to
be intermittent - comes and goes, abnormal static, then it went dead. Any
help/suggestions greatly appreciated!

This may help :D

http://www.dobe.com/wts/funk/R71A.txt

The first section on capacitors seems to point in your direction :)

--
Panzer

[email protected] June 4th 05 07:02 PM

There's a good chance that one of the input bandpass filter switching
relays went out. I'm pretty sure they used relays instead of switching
diodes in this radio because you could hear them click when you changed
band ranges.

Frank

DX99 June 4th 05 07:30 PM

Ahh thanks for that link. Thats it - the trimmer capacitors - they are made
of some degradable paper material and should be replaced with ceramic.
Called a radio place here in Tampa - its about a $65 repair (he estimates).
Guy says he's reluctant to work on R71s but wouldn't elaborate other than to
simply say they're 'older radios'. Says I can drop it off and pick it up in
3 days. I have a feeling it will be more than $65 when I get there. Thanks
for the info

Telamon June 6th 05 06:28 AM

In article . com,
wrote:

Good point from DK! These receivers are absolutely notorius for solder
joints that go bad over time. I have several friends with R-71As that
have had numerous solder connection problems over time but have been
able to fix them themselves. The radio is a "rat's nest" of cables and
wires inside unfortunately.

That's not the only radio with soldering problems. My couple year old
$4K Ten-Tec started dying on me after a few minutes of operation. It
would be working normally and then light for the signal strength meter
would go out, the meter would go to half scale and the audio would drop
out. That was to many things failing at the same time so I suspected
power supply problems. This radio has a status led for each of the four
power supply voltages and looking through the top grill sure enough I
saw one of them go out when the radio malfunctioned. Turned out to be
the +12V supply. Turned out that most of the solder connections on the
power supply output connector were cracked on the power supply board.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Brian Hill June 6th 05 08:53 PM

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

What Model is your Ten-Tec Tel?

[email protected] June 7th 05 02:36 AM

Solder problems seem to be the case in all the cheezy "yellow board",
single-sided consumer grade pc boards. I see it all the time in cheap
power supplies. If the boards have plated thru holes the problem is
almost non-existent.

Frank