Old June 4th 05, 05:57 AM
DX99

Default R71A Dead Below 7998!

My R71A just died below 7998.0 - completely dead air! Above that freq is
just fine. Anyone know what might have caused this? I seem to remember once
someone told me something about a 'paper' something that might go bad and
have to be changed to ceramic. Can someone fill me in please? Is this
expensive? Are there directions somewhere on the net? The problem seems to
be intermittent - comes and goes, abnormal static, then it went dead. Any
help/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Old June 4th 05, 04:53 PM
Dan

- I'd call Universal radio, C Crane or some shop of the ilk..

They are usually good with bits of information; or would know who might
have a clue as to whats going on inside the set.....

On the bright side, if its bad bad news, you can spend some time
shopping for a replacement..

Something similar happened on a car radio I had.. I gave it a nice
funeral & bought an electronically superior replacement..

Old June 4th 05, 05:01 PM
Brian Hill

"DX99" wrote in message
My R71A just died below 7998.0 - completely dead air! Above that freq is
just fine. Anyone know what might have caused this? I seem to remember
once
someone told me something about a 'paper' something that might go bad and
have to be changed to ceramic. Can someone fill me in please? Is this
expensive? Are there directions somewhere on the net? The problem seems to
be intermittent - comes and goes, abnormal static, then it went dead. Any
help/suggestions greatly appreciated!

It shouldn't cost much if you find a competant repair person. It sounds like
a bad conection in the RF deck.

B.H.

Old June 4th 05, 05:21 PM
John S.

I vaguely remember reading about this problem. Try posting it on the
Yahoo R71a group. Or as others suggested call Universal Shortwave, or
call Icom themselves.

Old June 4th 05, 06:02 PM
Panzer240

"DX99" wrote in news:zwaoe.424$xI2.58@trnddc09:

My R71A just died below 7998.0 - completely dead air! Above that freq is
just fine. Anyone know what might have caused this? I seem to remember once
someone told me something about a 'paper' something that might go bad and
have to be changed to ceramic. Can someone fill me in please? Is this
expensive? Are there directions somewhere on the net? The problem seems to
be intermittent - comes and goes, abnormal static, then it went dead. Any
help/suggestions greatly appreciated!

This may help

http://www.dobe.com/wts/funk/R71A.txt

The first section on capacitors seems to point in your direction

--
Panzer

Old June 4th 05, 07:02 PM

There's a good chance that one of the input bandpass filter switching
relays went out. I'm pretty sure they used relays instead of switching
diodes in this radio because you could hear them click when you changed
band ranges.

Frank

Old June 4th 05, 07:30 PM
DX99

Ahh thanks for that link. Thats it - the trimmer capacitors - they are made
of some degradable paper material and should be replaced with ceramic.
Called a radio place here in Tampa - its about a $65 repair (he estimates).
Guy says he's reluctant to work on R71s but wouldn't elaborate other than to
simply say they're 'older radios'. Says I can drop it off and pick it up in
3 days. I have a feeling it will be more than $65 when I get there. Thanks
for the info

Old June 7th 05, 02:36 AM

Solder problems seem to be the case in all the cheezy "yellow board",
single-sided consumer grade pc boards. I see it all the time in cheap
power supplies. If the boards have plated thru holes the problem is
almost non-existent.

Frank