Old June 10th 05, 06:36 PM
I Love LA

On 7 Jun 2005 18:08:49 -0700, "Dan" wrote:

- Looks like all froofy design.. expensive too..

rather get a "real" radio

http://www.radiointel.com/review-GrundigS350.htm

Does the S350 receive the weather channels and TV audio?

Old June 12th 05, 03:31 PM
Lucky

"Michael" wrote in message
This might be good to have as a "knock around" radio.

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/item...asp?SKU=75493#

Comments ???

Michael

Hello Mike,
I think the Sony SW7600GR is a good knock around radio for the price. You
can get them new as low as $130. It doesn't have a tuning knob but that's
the only thing that's "missing" off it.

OK, you spend double what you wanted to, but you end up with a great radio
with lots of features and built to last. Plus it's a Sony. Read the reviews
on it. Everyone loves them. I don't think they are too fragile to be a knock
around radio.

I found it on Amazon for $132.88 new. If you have good credit and qualify
for Amazons Visa credit card, it's yours for $102.88 $30 off. But even if
you don't qualify, for $132 you get a real radio. Or look for a good used
one.

http://tinyurl.com/bgna8

and reviews

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1534

Good luck
Lucky

Old June 13th 05, 12:58 AM
Michael

"Lucky" wrote in message

"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

Hiya, Lucky....

I already have the Sony 7600gr. To be honest, I wouldn't consider it to be
a "knock around" radio. It is my favorite portable by far, and I have tried
just about all of the well known sw portables including the YB-400 and the
ATS-909. I consider my 7600gr a prime travel radio to be well kept and
cared for. I also use it for at home listening through my PC speakers at
times over my R-75 because the 7600gr has a ssb selectable sync and can deal
with hets and QRM that the R-75 can not clean out in AM mode. I also have a
GE-SR III that I used for MW, but I like that radio too much to use as a
"knock around" radio.

I had in mind, buying an inexpensive MW, SW, FM, TV,Weather "multi" radio
with decent AM sound quality. I want it to take out in the yard and listen
to when I do yard work or wash the car and the like. Something that I
wouldn't mind accidentally spraying with the hose, or dropping off of a
ladder :-) I have one of those "Info-Mate" radios that you see on e-bay all
the time, but I keep that inside to use as a "last ditch" radio if the power
goes out and I dont have batteries left. That "Info-Mate has one of those
hard cranks on it so, I'd hate to mess it up outside.

I'd consider any inexpensive portable with a decent size speaker that can
get MW, FM and SW. TV and weather would be nice too.

--
Respectfully,

Michael

Location: New Jersey
Primary Receiver: R-75 with full Kiwa mods
Antennas: G5RV, 200ft "Frankenstein" roof wire
Additional Radios: 7600GR,KA-1101,KA-1102
PL-550, KA-989, Info-Mate 837, GE-SR III
Westinghouse H-104 (seven tube)
Web Site: http://md_dxing.tripod.com

Old June 13th 05, 06:18 AM
Eric Ferguson

One thing you might consider. Go to a second hand store (or stores). You'll
never know what you'll find.

'Bout ten years, or so, ago, went to a big thrift store in Vallejo. Found a
Sony 7600-D (AM/FM/SW/LW). They wanted $10 as-is. I put in the correct
batteries, and in store got both AM and FM. Outside, got WWV, BBC, RNZI, and
a few others. It's been my knock about ever since (rides in my trunk). Has
a tunable BFO as well. Only drawback, it tunes in 5 khz jumps on SW/LW. But
the BFO tuning knob also works in AM mode and you can tune in between. Just
don't *really* know the freq.

BTW, it was Sony's first digital readout SW set.

Just a thought......

Eric

Old June 14th 05, 01:06 PM
D. Martin

The "thrift store" idea is a good one, in regards to finding a
general-purpose bargain radio. Although, it may take a few trips, to a
few different stores.

Darren

Old June 14th 05, 02:35 PM
John S.

"I had in mind, buying an inexpensive MW, SW, FM, TV,Weather "multi"
radio
with decent AM sound quality."

Spend a few weekends cruising the garage and estate sales for a used
model in your area. There are usually plenty of them, including a few
high quality Panasonic RF-2600, 2800 and 2900 portables.

The only caveat would be to plug it in and try all controls including
the sometimes troublesome bandswitch.

Old June 15th 05, 11:45 AM
Lucky

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm not sure I understand the aversion to second hand goods, but to
each his own I guess. The outfall from estates has been a mainstay of
antique dealers for as long as that business has been around. In my
area at least the companies that manage estate sales tend to be a bit
selective in the estates they sell.

One possible problem with buying new shortwave receivers is that the
number of choices continues to dwindle. I don't know who remains in
the business of making tabletops...Japan Radio maybe? The big guns,
Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom, Panasonic and Sony have all pulled out. The
range of used receivers is much wider than new.

Sometimes those of us that enjoy a bit of digging can find "diamonds".
Well, maybe with some topaz and aquamarine mixed in, but you get the
idea. For example I've found in excellent condition a National HRO-500
for $25.00, a Sony ICF-5900 for $10.00, Panasonic RF-5000b for $50.00
and a Zenith TO for $10.00 Photography is another bug, and I found a
complete Canon VT-Deluxe outfit - lenses, body, filters, all items in
original boxes for $200.00

Good deals John. You obviously have a knack at finding decent items cheap.
I'm going to start going to some of these estate sales down here in Florida.
You see these 2 million dollar homes in some of the best neighborhoods in
town having these estate sales.

I know this girl that dragged me to one once. She bought 2 of these ceiling
lights with fans for about $35 each. I later found out they go for over $300
each new. They hire these "estate auction people" to sell off their stuff
for them and some of them have no idea what they really possess and how to
price them.

Lucky

Old June 15th 05, 04:04 PM
John S.

It's fun...we've picked up an arts and crafts library table and overlay
slag glass lamp for the computer room, fed my wifes obsession with art
pottery, etc., and just had fun at the estate sales. Half the fun is
in the hunt!!!

My wife uses what she calls the Moscow rule of shopping...buy it now
cause it will be gone if you don't. Saying goes back to the days of
long lines at poorly stocked government stores in communist Moscow.