Old June 11th 05, 12:28 AM
mike0219116

Default Degen 1107 Available on eBay

liypn has them available for sale

http://tinyurl.com/8snlk

Old June 11th 05, 01:17 AM
Dan

-Why buy one of these..??

Old June 11th 05, 04:31 PM
CorbinRay

Why to buy a DE1107: First, because you can never have too many radios.
Second, this is touted as an analog radio with the DE1103s performance.
Third, this might end up being your favorite portable radio, but you'll
never know it unless you get one. If I had a few extra dollars, I would
have already ordered one of these.

When the Tecsun PL-350 first showed up on Liypn's ebay store, I figured
that I'd go ahead and order one, but I really didn't have a whole lot
of expectations for it. I had previously owned a PL-550 and I ended up
giving it away, so I figured that something even smaller wouldn't be
worth a whole lot. Still, I figured I see if Tecsun somehow got it
right this time.

Sure enough, the radio became not just a keeper, but it remains my #1
radio to this day. That says a lot, because I've had more than 30
portable radios in the past five years, and all of them have at least
one flaw (too big, too small, too hard to use in the dark, too wasteful
on batteries with no built-in charger, etc.). When it all comes down to
my specific tastes in all of the portable radios that I own, #1 for me
is the PL-350 (excellent performer, excellent ergonomics), #2 is the
DE1103 (excellent performer, lousy ergonomics), and #3 is the Yaesu
VR-120 (excellent range of frequencies, lousy ergonomics). Everything
else is simply gathering dust on my shelf.

Old June 11th 05, 06:46 PM
John Smith

What is the degen 205 like?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V

John

oups.com...

Old June 12th 05, 09:42 PM
JS

I have the kaito 1103.
I don't have another radio to compare to.
But, I absolutely enjoy the radio.
Gets so much SW on the built in antenna.
The vendor said it is comparable to many higher end radios.
Very happy I got this one indeed.

Old June 12th 05, 11:59 PM
Telamon

In article ,
"JS" wrote:

I have the kaito 1103. I don't have another radio to compare to. But,
I absolutely enjoy the radio.

Snip

That's what counts!

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 13th 05, 12:02 AM
Dan

I've heard the 1103 is very very good..

http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1103.htm

- Hence my questions about the 1107.. - although i agree, you can't
have too many Shortwave Radios..

J.L. on Later (at 00:00 UTC ) on WBCQ 7.415

Old June 13th 05, 12:12 AM
Stephan Grossklass

CorbinRay schrieb:

Why to buy a DE1107: First, because you can never have too many radios.

The killer argument! :P Actually, one should stop buying them when there
is no space for any additional ones left. My radio drawer is
essentially full now. (Besides, there's been a priority shift away from
SW radios here. FM recordings accumulate to multiple GB a week, thus a
hard drive upgrade became necessary, and since the stuff has to be
backed up somewhere a few packs of DVD+/-Rs - good ones at that - have
been needed as well. My second comp got two new used sound cards - the
second one was too good a deal to pass up -, and now a PSU providing
better ventilation would be good. Then I still need some audio cabling,
I currently always have to plug and unplug things when changing from
recording to playback on the PC.)

Second, this is touted as an analog radio with the DE1103s performance.

Is it really? I'd rather expect something along the lines of an ICF-7601
or R-9700DX. The '7601 had been frustrating me in the long run, as it's
just overloaded far too easily on shortwave; this is a built-in problem
of the receiver concept with its very wide 1st IF. (An AE3405 is quite
the opposite, it never overloads but is rather deaf and fairly hissy as
well.) I found an ICF-SW30 to be quite a positive surprise - kind of a
pain to tune but (being a "true" dual conversion rig) far less prone to
overload while having good sensitivity. I wouldn't go below that level
of performance any more in a SW set.

Third, this might end up being your favorite portable radio, but you'll
never know it unless you get one.

This kinda applies to my RF-B11, which has been my on-the-go FM radio
for well over a month now (since mid-April). The AM ranges are nothing
special (OK, better than on the DE105) but on FM it really shines. I
should really check the batteries one of these days, they're still the
same ones... 1.25 and 1.27 V. These alkalines were pretty much full when
I put them in, now they must have seen at least 20-25 hours of use. Not
too bad. Keeping the rx inside a plastic bag apparently was a good idea,
not a scratch in sight (with daily use except on weekends).

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W