Old June 11th 05, 06:13 AM
Mike Terry

Default VOA to Resume Radio Broadcasts to Uzbekistan

Press Release
Washington, D.C.,
June 10, 2005

The Voice of America will resume its radio broadcasts to the Central Asian
nation of Uzbekistan on June 12. VOA had ceased broadcasting on radio to
Uzbekistan last year in response to research that showed Uzbeks watch
television in significant numbers. VOA has been broadcasting television
programming to Uzbekistan since December 2003.

"Because of the recent events in Uzbekistan and the Uzbek government's
tightening of controls on foreign television broadcasts, we have decided to
resume our radio broadcasts," said VOA Director David Jackson. "The Uzbek
people deserve to have access to uncensored news and information about
what's happening in their own country, their region, and the world. In
addition, our Uzbek language web site will continue to be updated with the
latest news and information."

VOA's Uzbek-language radio broadcasts will consist of a daily (seven days a
week), 30-minute program, airing from 15:00-15:30 UTC (20:00 -20:30 local
time) on the following shortwave frequencies:

SW Frequencies 1500-1530 UTC:
11515 IRA (26.05 meters)
11780 UDO (25.47 meters)
15390 KAV (19.49 meters)

VOA hopes to offer the new Uzbek-language radio broadcasts on medium wave
and FM in the future.

VOA's coverage will focus on the news of the world, of Uzbekistan and
Central Asia, and information about U.S. policy and opinion. The coverage
will also include U.S. and world press reviews on Uzbekistan, as well as
interviews with regional and international experts on Uzbekistan and the
region.

The Voice of America, which first went on the air in 1942, is a multimedia
international broadcasting service funded by the U.S. government through the
Broadcasting Board of Governors. VOA broadcasts more than 1,000 hours of
news, information, educational, and cultural programming every week to an
estimated worldwide audience of more than 100 million people. Programs are
produced in 44 languages, including English.

For more information, call the Office of Public Affairs at (202) 401-7000,
or E-Mail .

http://www.voanews.com/english/About...6-10-voa64.cfm

Old June 11th 05, 01:50 PM

I wonder if the VOA will restart the Arabic service?

Old June 11th 05, 02:26 PM
Leon Cakeater

wrote in message
oups.com...
I wonder if the VOA will restart the Arabic service?

Not necessary as the psyops division of the US Army
is already broadcasting our pro-USA propaganda
from Iraq to much of the Middle East from Iraq, Turkey
and Afghanistan. Of course the Arabs know it's all bullshi+
but you know those congressmen 'back home' want
this crap to go out on the medium wave airwaves to the
indigenous populations.

They make no effort to hide themselves, which of course
when the target audience knows who is behind the
broadcasts, then automatically assumes everything they
say to be bullshi+. This is an excellent example of the Pentagon
better known as 'Fort Fumble' (as in fumble the football) in
action with a completely wasted effort.

See: http://www.psywarrior.com/psyop.html

I've been to the ME Region and can assure you
from actual observation that 98% of the population
get's it's info from either Al Jazeera or Al Arabia.
Shortwave is no longer the viable medium as it once
was. In the backcountry they can get AlJazeera
Radio via Satellite which is in almost every private car
and has replaced shortwave in almost every case.

Old June 11th 05, 05:26 PM
running dogg

Leon Cakeater wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yeah, the Arabs use satellite radio and TV moreso than any population on
earth except Americans, it seems. And in America most sattelite radio
and TV is through big corporations (XM and Sirius for radio, DirecTV and
Dish Network for TV) while the Arabs use regular dishes, you know the
old fashioned "Big Ugly Dish" kind as US enthusiasts call them that have
almost completely disappeared in the US. The only place in the ME that
SW still makes sense is in Iran, where satellite usage is either heavily
regulated or outlawed and the US uses SW to broadcast Radio Farda into
the country. But yeah, once the Arabs learn that Al Houri satellite, or
Radio Sawa FM, is run by the Americans, they stop tuning in.

Old June 11th 05, 09:55 PM
uncle arnie

It be certainly understood why they'd want to broadcast there. Two issues:
the present despotic dictator situation, and the support the USA has had
for the regime. Things may go the way of gov't overthrow and there is a
need to be able to claim credibility with whatever side wins: the dictator
or the opposition. The real problem is the opposition has become very
extreme as the gov't has targetted everyone not with them. Maybe we'll see
a newly promoted opposition clandestinely funded? As long as they can
export oil I s'pose.

The ghost of Ronald Reagan is haunting somewhere in here. While Oliver
North is on TV doing travelogues, Gordon Liddy tells us that the deep
throat guy is immoral, Chuck Colson preaches to convicts and Jim Bakker
again pretends he's a good guy on late night TV.

Old June 11th 05, 09:59 PM
dxAce

uncle arnie wrote:

It be certainly understood why they'd want to broadcast there. Two issues:
the present despotic dictator situation, and the support the USA has had
for the regime. Things may go the way of gov't overthrow and there is a
need to be able to claim credibility with whatever side wins: the dictator
or the opposition. The real problem is the opposition has become very
extreme as the gov't has targetted everyone not with them. Maybe we'll see
a newly promoted opposition clandestinely funded? As long as they can
export oil I s'pose.

The ghost of Ronald Reagan is haunting somewhere in here. While Oliver
North is on TV doing travelogues, Gordon Liddy tells us that the deep
throat guy is immoral, Chuck Colson preaches to convicts and Jim Bakker
again pretends he's a good guy on late night TV.

And you are what... still a dumb Canuck?

LMAO at the 'tard boys of the north.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old June 12th 05, 03:51 AM
running dogg

uncle arnie wrote:

It be certainly understood why they'd want to broadcast there. Two issues:
the present despotic dictator situation, and the support the USA has had
for the regime. Things may go the way of gov't overthrow and there is a
need to be able to claim credibility with whatever side wins: the dictator
or the opposition. The real problem is the opposition has become very
extreme as the gov't has targetted everyone not with them. Maybe we'll see
a newly promoted opposition clandestinely funded? As long as they can
export oil I s'pose.

The US on some level may be beginning to realize that it's not smart to
completely hook their wagon to Karimov's horse. Unfortunately, it may be
too late. Like you said, the opposition has become increasingly
Islamicized (meaning extreme Wahhabi type Islam) and the population is
increasingly seeing the US as the oppressor, not the liberator like in
the old Soviet Union. These two things mean that any revolution in
Uzbekistan probably won't turn out well for US interests. The
revolutions in Georgia and Ukraine were very pro Western and pro US; in
each case, it was Putin's favorite that got booted. Look at the
reception Bush got in Tbilisi. But in Uzbekistan the revolution is very
Islamic and very anti Western, fighting against a US backed despot; the
situation is very much like Iran in the 70s. The situation could turn
out the same way, with the mullahs in control and the US kicked out of
its base. The US has a positive in that there's no Khomeini to rally the
disaffected and spur them to revolution; all the Islamic leaders that
have emerged have little of the Ayatollah's following or star power. But
a leader like Khomeini could still emerge.

Old June 12th 05, 05:57 AM
uncle arnie

running dogg wrote:

[...]

I don't know if they need a focal head person to do the terror thing these
days. Just cells of people willing to die martyrs.

We've got the "great game" of the 19th century going again, this time the
players are Russia, USA, Islamic extremists. It scares me. Probably should
scare us all.

And the average person in countries like this really suffers.
Old June 13th 05, 02:35 AM
running dogg

uncle arnie wrote:

running dogg wrote:

[...]

This time, the great game probably won't turn into Great War, at least
not between major powers. Nobody wants a nuclear catastrophe, except for
the Muslims, and they may be able to take out a city or two but not
bring civilization to a crashing halt like an all out nuclear war would.
Yes, in the great game the average guy is a pawn of the powers, and not
just in hellholes like Uzbekistan, but even in the major players. The
people with the power escape unscathed while the average guy gets hit
hard, from 9-11 to the killings in Uzbekistan.

Old June 14th 05, 09:54 AM

Nobody wants a nuclear catastrophe, except for
the Muslims....

I'd worry about the Xtn fundamentalists, if I were you. They don't
fear Armageddon, probably expect to be Raptured while we sinners
suffer.

Maybe Bush expected to be Raptured as soon as he over-ran Baghdad.
That may explain why he didn't plan for an occupation.

Hudley Pearse