Old June 22nd 05, 10:13 PM

Default New radio

beerbarrel wrote:

Picked up a nice r-392 today. And to think some folks think you can't
gain anything from drinking beer other than a beer gut. I paid for it
with money from recycling the cans from the beer that I drink when I
hang out in the garage.

Love dem bones!
You must either have saved cans for a long time, drink one
hell of a lot of beer, or found a R392 for a very good price.

My first good SW was a R392. A great "portable" radio.
Might have been why I have a hernia. I loved mine so much
that instead of selling it, I loaned it to a friend with survialist
outlook. It is a very good receiver. Somewhere on the web
I found a link to a series of solid state modifications that
looked interested. If I recall correctly it needs ~24V @3.9A.
I ran mine from a split supply. Heaters +26.5V and the B+
at 30.00V. I used a LM317, with a 2N3055 for current boaster,
and a slow power on supply that took ~60S to go from 1.2V
to 26.5V. I ran the receiver from 1972 through 1984? and
never lost a tube/valve from failed heater. The split supply
kept the drift to something like ~50Hz an hour and removed the
very minor freqeuncy jump when teh crystal oven heaters cycled.
The only serious defect is the lack of a product detector. The
only receiver that I have ever had that was quiter was the R390.

I would strongly suggest replacing the audio output tube with
a solid state replacement as it draws about half the heater
current and makes the radio run much warmer. In a pinch you
can couple the grids to the plates with decent caps for headphone
use.

The only thing I don't miss is the joy of lugging it to a camp
site. Great way to stay in shape. And of course the digital
tuning can get tedious. Crank crank crank...

Terry

Old June 23rd 05, 05:52 AM
jon

Greetings! A good friend of mine now a silent key had one and offered
it to me to take home. He said he didn't use it anyway. Sure enough he
died and it is to my knowledge still sitting in his storage building.
His wife has no interest in his radio stuff yet can't seem to part with
anything. She has asked me to help her sell his stuff a time or two,
but always changes her mind. You ask why didn't I take it home? I
didn't have a power supply for it. I may still get a hold of it one
day. I was very impressed with it, but I love a big radio. Great
find! Have a great week! Jon.

Old June 24th 05, 12:43 AM
atomicthumbs

Wouldn't you actually have more money to buy an even better radio if
you stopped drinking beer altogether? As far as I can tell, beer costs
more than 4 cents (5 if you don't live in California).

Old June 24th 05, 06:24 AM
Eric F. Richards

beerbarrel wrote:

Picked up a nice r-392 today. And to think some folks think you can't
gain anything from drinking beer other than a beer gut. I paid for it
with money from recycling the cans from the beer that I drink when I
hang out in the garage.

Love dem bones!

What a waste of a beautiful radio. Somebody *please* save it from the
drunkard.

Old June 24th 05, 07:48 AM
beerbarrel

Yeah...ain't it nice? I'm even going to drink more beer and get a r-390
and sp-600. Just shows you what you can do when you drink lots of beer.

Old June 24th 05, 10:27 AM
beerbarrel

Eric you might want to try cleaning house at the shack there. It looks
like you have that table overloaded just a might not to mention the
electrical system in your shack.

Old June 25th 05, 05:05 AM
m II

Eric F. Richards wrote:

What a waste of a beautiful radio. Somebody *please* save it from the
drunkard.

Don't state the obvious. He will send a fraudulent complaint of illegal Internet
activity to your provider. He can sure dish it out, but he can't take the
slightest criticism...not very mature.

My provider just sent this my way, posted here in part. A quick email back,
including ALL of Mr. Fort's postings leading up to this made things alright. It
seems Telus is very understanding when the offended party has very dirty hands
in the matter. They understood that I'm not the sole participant in this daring
expose on necrophilia in the United States.

We are writing to inform you that TELUS has received a complaint alleging that
your TELUS Internet Service account has been involved in unlawful activity.
This complaint was traced back to your account based on the IP address used at
the time of this activity.

Below is an excerpt from the complaint that we received regarding your account.
We include it in this notice in an effort to help you identify the activity that
is in question.

Thank you,

Dale
Internet Abuse Team Member
Consumer Customer Operations
TELUS Communications
http://www.telus.com/aup
Email:

* Please include the original email in any reply.

Excerpt from complaint:
From: m II
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Subject: What happened to the news group?
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 03:16:11 GMT
My news server must be on the fritz only 8 posts for today? This is a
100 to 300 posts a day news group.

Well, you've kill filed between 92 and 292 people so far, so your shortage of
posts should not be a surprise.

mike

--
Tracy Fort's necrophilia and a seventy two year old cancer victim:

Dug her ass right up! She was too damn ugly to have sex with before she died.
The old bag o bones fell apart in my hands! She didn't complain about much
either other than the lousy sex she got from those foursomes with you, Mike and
her husband.
love dem bones....dem bones....dem bones

US M/Sgt. Tracy Fort 116 AMX 250 Martin Luther King Blvd.
Robins ANG,
GA. 31098-2009

http://www.qrz.com/detail/KE4ODD

end of Telus email to me, concerning a report of ILLEGAL activity from my
account from Tracy Fort.

mike

Old June 25th 05, 04:20 PM
Eric F. Richards

m II wrote:

Eric F. Richards wrote:

What a waste of a beautiful radio. Somebody *please* save it from the
drunkard.

Don't state the obvious. He will send a fraudulent complaint of illegal Internet
activity to your provider. He can sure dish it out, but he can't take the
slightest criticism...not very mature.

Oh, *that* would be good for a laugh. My personal news spool goes
back 500 days for all users and forever for, ah, "special" ones.
Like your very own canuck "Psycho Jim" who even you thought should
be in a mental hospital.

Anyway, I've got several hundred messages just under the "beerbarrel"
name alone, which he started using late last year as a "login." He
was going by Traci (with a smiley-face over the i) before that.

Old June 25th 05, 11:04 PM
m II

Eric F. Richards wrote:

Anyway, I've got several hundred messages just under the "beerbarrel"
name alone, which he started using late last year as a "login." He
was going by Traci (with a smiley-face over the i) before that.

Remember when, over countless posts, he was trying to insult Brenda Ann? She's
one of the most knowledgeable and nicest people here. By him repeatedly
attacking her, I learned what 'bierbarrel©'(1) was worth as a human being. He
appears to have no redeeming qualities. Even his unredeeming qualities are
boring at best...the moral equivalent of ''tard' and 'tote'. Yawwwnnn...

(1) © Honus

mike

--

(This space reserved)