Old June 30th 05, 03:31 AM
Telamon

In article
,
Peter Maus wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article
,
Peter Maus wrote:

Eric F. Richards wrote:

"Jim Douglas" wrote:

Holy crap batman I only get 5-10 posts total daily, WTF, I am using
COMCAST,
anyone else using COMCAST and getting dribbles?

"Telamon" wrote in message

om

My news server must be on the fritz only 8 posts for today? This is a
100 to 300 posts a day news group.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

I'm not seeing much traffic any more at this point, either. I figured
the flamers (yes, I've done it, too) have driven the serious posters
away.

Sometimes the serious participants simply go into lurking mode.
I've been with the group for about a decade, now, but have fallen
into lurking mode, because much of what comes up is the same stuff
that came up when I first joined the group. Lots of beginners'
questions, and a good deal of rehash of common problems.

Most of the gratuitous flamers have exited after becoming bored.
Those that remain become more topical, less bellicose.

So, it's not that the serious players have left, they're just
waiting to participate in a discussion that they've not already been
involved in.

There's also the fact that much of what shortwave was several
years ago is now much different. With more major broadcasters
removing themselves by degrees, or in total from HF in favor of
Internet, podcasts, satellite radio, or any and all. And service by
the majors to North America being all but abandoned. Though there's
still a good deal of content, and some of it quite interesting, many
of the staples have given way to US religious broadcasters which are
of less interest to the serious DXers here, resulting in attrition
from the bands, and from the newsgroup as well.

World tensions and shifting political sands do create a need for
SW in many regions of the world, but as David posted here recently,
SW is not a primary, or even secondary medium for much of the world.
This, too, results in changes, often sudden and dramatic, in usage
of the bands, and subsequently the usage of this newsgroup.

Hard truth is that SW was at one time, a significant medium for
Europe. And for Europeans living abroad, it was often the only
source of news from home. For many governments, SW was the most cost
effective medium for widely distributing propaganda, news, culture
and popular entertainment. Local media, as it was instituted quickly
displaced SW in the public attention. Outside of European culture,
SW has been a novelty for the rest of us. If that.

This situation is not showing any signs of reversal.

Meaning, in the end, this newsgroup will be comprised of
enthusiasts, and hobbycraft participants. As newsgroup history has
demonstrated over the last 10 years, not every SW enthusiast
remains an enthusiast. Atrition will reduce the numbers as people
entering the hobby anew will be, because there is little or no
active widespread promotion of SW listening, fewer than those exiting.

While flamers have no doubt run off some of the players here,
and some of the serious players have gone into lurking mode, the
changing nature of SW itself is responsible for the loss of regulars
here.

Don't worry Peter we will be in another war soon and SW will pick up.
Iran, North Korea, China... the possibilities for trouble are endless.

Yeah, the pucker factor is high lately, isn't it.

Yeah, I'm getting more worried about by the day but that's the way it
works everything goes in cycles. It is important to appreciate the goods
times while they are around.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 4th 05, 12:10 AM
Peter Maus

Telamon wrote:

In article
,
Peter Maus wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article
,
Peter Maus wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

[...]

Even Camelot was only a 'few good years.'