RadioBanter

-   -   Eton E1 MINUS XM (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/73367-eton-e1-minus-xm.html)

Joe Analssandrini June 24th 05 05:04 PM

Eton E1 MINUS XM

Hello Everybody,

I just got my new (July) issue of MONITORING TIMES and there, on page
4, is an Eton ad featuring, among others, the new Eton E1
AM/FM/Shortwave/"Satellite Ready" Radio $500.

No mention of XM - nor is the XM logo on the picture of the receiver
itself.

I guess Eton went back to the drawing board; hence, the (further) delay
in shipment.

They've only been "designing" this radio for the past ten years! I
wonder if they'll ever get their act together on this model or if it
will be decided to make this another example of "vapor" radio.

If they ever do produce this model I think it would be better NOT to be
the "first kid on the block" to buy one unless you LIKE being a "guinea
pig." Let others have the initial "misfortunes."

This is a pity as it appears that Eton is the only manufacturer who is
truly supporting shortwave radio. I only wish they would incorporate
the latest circuitry, such as synchronous selectable sideband, dual
conversion, and multiple bandwidths, in all of their models - including
their lower-priced ones such as the E10 (sad that this model at its
price is only single conversion) - even if they have to pay a license
fee for certain of these features.

In any event, and especially for those who have already ordered the E1,
DON'T hold your breath while waiting!

Best,

Joe

John S. June 24th 05 05:54 PM

They have a reputation for issuing multiple press releases announcing
some grand new product that takes for ever to appear. Unfortunately
the product was usually delayed and there was not always a followup
press release announcing the delay...only silence.

Is $500.00 less than the original estimated price?

[email protected] June 24th 05 07:00 PM

Joe Analssandrini wrote:
Hello Everybody,

I just got my new (July) issue of MONITORING TIMES and there, on page
4, is an Eton ad featuring, among others, the new Eton E1
AM/FM/Shortwave/"Satellite Ready" Radio $500.

No mention of XM - nor is the XM logo on the picture of the receiver
itself.

Joe,

The ad says "satellite ready" because you have the option of purchasing
the external satellite antenna, and subscribing to the satellite
service. (See the Eton E1 at Universal Radio's website. It shows the
satellite antenna module as an option.) The antenna module is an option
since not everyone, including myself, cares about receiving satellite
radio.

To wish that Eton would include sideband selectable sync detection and
multiple bandwidths on their cheaper radios is like wishing that the
cheapest Lexus would include all the luxury features of the most
expensive Lexus. If Eton included the extra features on their cheaper
radios, it only makes sense the radios would cost more. It makes good
sense to offer several choices to the consumer. The more features you
want, the more you have to pay. Isn't that the way it happens with
everything else?

rkhalona June 24th 05 09:18 PM

Joe A. wrote:

If they ever do produce this model I think it would be better NOT to
be
the "first kid on the block" to buy one unless you LIKE being a "guinea

pig." Let others have the initial "misfortunes."

Spoken like a prudent person. I would not buy a sample of the first
run of this radio even at $300.
I'd rather wait and see.

RK

Joe Analssandrini June 25th 05 01:01 AM

Dear John,

$500.00 was the original announced price and that included an XM
antenna which is now evidently NOT included.

I was in a hurry when I made my original post and I forgot to mention
that apparently this radio STILL does not offer IBOC, the DAB's, or
DRM, thus making it, even before its release, a technological
"also-ran."

Best,

Joe

Joe Analssandrini June 25th 05 01:14 AM

Dear Gary,

I'm afraid I disagree with you. Compare the features of the Eton E10
with those of the Sony ICF-SW7600GR. Both radios sell for approximately
the same price yet the Sony offers far more important features than
does the Eton and, due to these features, its performance is better.
Also the Sony, manufactured in Japan, is made to a far higher
construction standard than is the Eton.

Compare the Eton E10 or E100 with comparably-priced models from
Degen/Kaito. All of these models are made in China; why aren't their
features comparable at their respective prices?

No one expects an AOR AR7030 Plus for the price of a Grundig Mini
100PE, but Eton, which seems to support the shortwave hobby better than
any other company, should take into consideration the modern features
which make SW listening more rewarding and satisfying. If Degen/Kaito
can include dual bandwidths and dual conversion at $75.00 (or less),
why can't Eton? If Sony can include synchronous selectable sideband
circuitry AND dual conversion at $130, why can't Eton?

Just my thoughts.

Joe

[email protected] June 25th 05 01:46 AM

It Eton really wants to support the shortwave hobby, they should
include a high quality tabletop receiver in their lineup and skip this
absurdly overpriced portable.

Steve

Boozer June 25th 05 01:54 AM

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote
If Degen/Kaito
can include dual bandwidths and dual conversion at $75.00 (or less),
why can't Eton?

Because the Chinese Communist Party subsidizes Degen/Kaito, and most State
Owned Enterprizes,
to undercut its primary competitors - Taiwan's Eton/Grundig & Sony.

Wasn't the Degen/Kaito you likly refer to sold for less than $50 on E-Bay?

The Sony 7600GR is a steal @$130.

Joe Analssandrini June 25th 05 02:03 AM

Dear Steve,

Well said. I agree with you. While I admire Eton for its support of the
hobby (what other company actively promotes shortwave radios or even
markets them properly - just today I saw a large display of their SW
radio line at our local Circuit City, of all places!), I have less
patience with the radios themselves which do not offer the serious SW
listener what he/she wants/needs.

I feel that they can do better. And I believe they should. I would like
nothing better than to have another "irresistable" Eton product that I
would "have" to buy. (The last such product they offered was/is the
Grundig Satellit 800, which offers fantastic performance for its price.
I know. I own one.)

Best,

Joe

Joe Analssandrini June 25th 05 02:14 AM

Dear "Boozer,"

Eton's products are in fact made in China, not Taiwan, by Tecsun, a
Chinese company.

There are several Degen/Kaitos selling for between $50 and $100 which
offer far more than Tecsun's (Eton's) radios both in terms of features
and performance.

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is indeed a "steal" at $130. It was even a
"steal" at $160, which is what I paid for all five - no kidding, that's
how many I own - of mine several years ago. And it is made in Japan! I
recommend that anyone seriously interested in shortwave radio buy one
of these "while the getting is good." Both Amazon and J&R Music World
have the ICF-SW7600GR at low prices. As a "first" radio, as a "travel"
radio, as an "only" radio, you just can't go wrong, in my opinion.

Eton/Tecsun COULD be competitive if it truly desired to do so. Sony,
though it makes the most technologically-advanced shortwave portable
radios on the market, evidently is no longer interested in shortwave
radio or the shortwave listener and hasn't been for some time. I really
wish Eton would become the "Sony" of the 21st century, at least as far
as shortwave radios are concerned.

I would love to be able to support this company by buying its products
but I'm afraid that its current lineup offers no incentive for me to do
so.

Best,

Joe