Old June 26th 05, 02:33 PM
Jay

Default Kaito KA1103 SW Receiver- Any Good ??

http://www.radios4you.com/kaito-ka1103-LG.html

Has anyone tried the Kaito KA1103 SW Receiver ?
The add alleges dual conversion and ability to receive SSB.
Thanks
Jay

Old June 26th 05, 05:16 PM
Dan

Jay:

look here...

http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1103.htm

Old June 26th 05, 05:32 PM
Lucky

"Jay" wrote in message
http://www.radios4you.com/kaito-ka1103-LG.html

Has anyone tried the Kaito KA1103 SW Receiver ?
The add alleges dual conversion and ability to receive SSB.
Thanks
Jay

Hi Jay

I have the Degen 1103 which is the original Taiwan version of the 1103. They
are the exact same radio except the Kaito is the "American" version of the
radio and has a better warranty and power supply.

If something goes bad with it, you have recourse. If you have the Taiwan
version, what are you going to do? It will be a big hassle to get it fixed
or replaced. But, they hardly go bad. There was an issue with the older ones
where the line indicator "jumped" after a few months of use.

But, I think this is from charging the batteries in the radio. Get yourself
a separate charger for it. They are cheap enough.

But, yes, the radio does everything they say it does. You'll be happy with
it for sure.

Lucky

Yes, it's a fine little radio. Picks up SSB just fine but you must be able
to move the BFO extremely, extremely fine to get the station in. Best thing
to do is tune to a AM station first, zero beat it perfectly to get the hang
of it, then try to get some SSB stations in.

I look at the 1103 as a mini tabletop receiver when I take it out. I paid
$65 shipped off Ebay for it. Definitely worth it.

Old June 27th 05, 12:07 AM
Sanjaya

"Jay" wrote in message ...
http://www.radios4you.com/kaito-ka1103-LG.html

Has anyone tried the Kaito KA1103 SW Receiver ?
The add alleges dual conversion and ability to receive SSB.
Thanks
Jay

My Degen DE1103 (same thing) is, in my opinion, the best portable
for money spent.
Many have complained about the ergonomics of the volume
control and horizontal number key layout. That's a personal like or dislike.
It took me about five minutes to adapt to them. I love mine DE1103
Very sensitive off the whip on SW, great sound from such a small unit
Good MW and FM reception.
If I could keep only one portable I own it would be the 1103. And yes,
I own a YB-400 and 7600GR.
Note: Degen made improvements to the 1103 in the second half of 2004.
I waited until then to get one and couldn't be happier.
There's been a ton of discussion in this newsgroup about this radio and all
Chinese portables. I fully expect criticism for my opinion, but
I also know for every negative post there's been a positive one.
Consider joining the Yahoo 1103 group and see what owners have to say.
Note 2: the Kaito model will work on American current with no step-up
transformer needed, the Degen needs 220 volt and the transformer. I use
*only* rechargeable batteries and my own personal charger to power the
radio, not the optional adaptor offered by at least one eBay seller. The Degen
is cheaper, but the Kaito comes with an American warranty and the ability
to use household current with no transformer. Warranty service on the
Degen would be tedious at best. Peace of mind dictates that many opt for
the Kaito version. I took a chance on the Degen because I've never had
a problem with orders from eBay seller Liypn. But... I didn't get and don't
use a 220 volt transformer. I'd say if you get one and can afford the extra
money for the Kaito 1103 get that one.
Buzzygirl, if you're out there chime in on this if you care to. I know you like
your 1103.

Old June 27th 05, 12:17 AM
Buzzygirl

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
link.net...

I agree with everything you said, Sanjaya... the KA1103 version, while a bit
more costly, would allow for some piece of mind in the unlikely event you'd
need to return it to the seller.

I do enjoy my DE1103 a lot. It's very sensitive off the whip, and sounds
great. I've had lots of portable SW radios, and this is one of the best
deals going in its class.

Jackie
Buzzygirl