Old June 30th 05, 03:23 AM

Default What was this?

I tuned to 8743 usb earlier this evening. Two Spanish speaking men were
"talking" to each other by reading series of letters and numbers. I
figured it was some bizarre variety of numbers station. However, I
started writing down what they were reading and the letters were
spelling English words. I picked up the words "vessel", "reassure" and
"any".

Anyone have an idea what this was? Why would these Spanish speaking men
be spelling out English words to each other?

Steve

Old June 30th 05, 04:35 PM

For anyone who's interested, I made a short recording of this before it
ended. You can listen to it if you copy the URL provided below and then
paste it into your address bar. (Just clicking on the link will not
work. You have to put it in your address bar.)

http://renopithicus.tripod.com/8743usb.wav

There's a bit of chatter in the background. My high school Spanish is
too rusty to allow me to understand it, but it might shed some light on
what's going on. In any case, in this clip you can hear the one guy
spell out the words "vessel", "operate" and "any".

Steve

Old June 30th 05, 05:02 PM
Rufus Leaking

You can listen to it if you copy the URL provided below and then
paste it into your address bar. (Just clicking on the link will not
work. You have to put it in your address bar.)

no, just clicking the link got the wav file cooking on my computer...

listening to that clip took me back to me 98G2L days, even though I was
an AE operator and not Spanish...

Dave

Old June 30th 05, 05:08 PM

Okay, it's great that the link works....links to my tripod site never
did before.

Steve

Old July 7th 05, 05:17 PM

Rufus Leaking wrote:
You can listen to it if you copy the URL provided below and then
paste it into your address bar. (Just clicking on the link will not
work. You have to put it in your address bar.)

no, just clicking the link got the wav file cooking on my computer...

listening to that clip took me back to me 98G2L days, even though I was
an AE operator and not Spanish...

Dave

I've been listening to this frequency on and off for the last several
days, but haven't heard anything unusual. I guess I'll never know what
those guys were talking about. I wish I'd tuned in on their
'conversation' sooner.

Steve

Old July 7th 05, 09:05 PM
Invader3K

I listened to it...it is kind of weird. I know a lot of times USB
signals with Spanish speakers at night are Mexican or Carribean
fishermen or workers, so maybe that is what this is. Maybe speaking in
code to have fun, or some odd form of communication? I doubt it's
anything more insidious than that.