Old July 7th 05, 03:30 AM
VOA SWLer

Default VOA *IS* Iindependent

Subject: MOLLY IVINS REBUTTED
VOA is independent

I write with some concern about a recent column by Molly Ivins which I happened
to see in the June 19 Salt Lake Tribune.
In the column Ms. Ivins addresses some of the controversies regarding
Kenneth Tomlinson and his actions as chair of the Corporation for Public
Broadcasting. She also correctly notes that Mr. Tomlinson chairs the
Broadcasting Board of Governors, with duties she describes incorrectly as
“oversees the Voice of America, Radio Free Europe and other official arms of
the government's propaganda machine.”
The VOA is not a propaganda organ of any kind, and it is hurtful to see
such a term applied. Far from it; the journalists who work at VOA (I am one of
them) often risk their lives to bring more than 100 million listeners around
the world the most objective, accurate and comprehensive coverage of global
events. If she had consulted our congressional mandate and charter, or perhaps
just tuned in or read online (http://www.voanews.com), she would have
discovered yet more interesting stories about the VOA, and more accurate ones
as well.

Douglas Johnson
Host, VOA's Talk to America
Washington, D.C.